Curtains#2 - It Came From Below!

Rybaer

First Post
Hightower Hotel room #1723, Downtown, Coast City
April 17
9:42

Lawrence, feeling fresh from a scalding hot shower, is sitting in front of the television in his complimentary hotel room at the Hightower. Though the hotel's laundry service has already returned his cleaned clothes, he is lounging around in the monogrammed bathrobe he found in the closet. An enormous tray of empty breakfast dishes sits beside him on the bed. The local news is replaying footage from the previous night's incident.

His attention is pulled from the television by a sharp knock on the door. He gets up and peeks through the eyehole in the door. He opens it and lets his brother Andrew enter.

"Hey, you're a tough man to find when you don't want to be found," Andrew says as he looks around the room. "Nice place here. Did they set you up after last night's episode?"

The Centurion, Parkside, Coast City
April 17
12:46

Steven wakes, groggily, to the midday sun seeping through the cracks in his bedroom window blinds. The events of the previous night slowly come back to him and he lays there for a while until he feels prepared to face the day.

He finally drags himself out into the living room and slides open the patio door. A pleasant April breeze filters in from over the park full of families out for the weekend.

The phone rings abruptly. The caller ID tells him that it is Maggie calling from her apartment on the other side of the park.

"Hello Maggie," he says.

"Hey there yourself," she says in her usual, chipper voice. "You sound like you just got up."

"You're very perceptive today," he says. "That use of my power must have really taken something out of me last night."

"I guess so," she says. "Well, I was just calling to see how you were doing. Got any plans for the day, or are you still just taking it easy?"

Chandler Apartments suite 6G, Setter's Hill, Coast City
April 17
16:18

Thomas had the day off, so he spent it doing a few menial chores and reading the article about the previous night's events in the Chronicle. As the reporter had promised, the story cast him and the others is a fairly positive light. It almost went so far as to suggest that they might form a group of metahumans the city could call upon in times of need.

The phone, regrettably, had been silent all day. He had hoped to hear something from that bartender's cousin, but he knew realistically that it was a long-shot that he would ever hear back.

Drinking a beer and watching a little television, his hopes leap when the phone rings.

"Yo, O'Riley?" an enthusiastic voice says from the other end...a male voice.

"Yeah," he says, trying to contain his disappointment.

"Deuce here," the voice replies. James Dulcet, or Deuce as he was nicknamed, is an old friend from the Army - currently serving a stint as a recruitment officer.

"Hey man, what's up?"

"Me and some of the guys are going out for drinks tonight," Deuce says. "You want in?"

Keyhole Apartments, Riverside, Coast City
April 17
16:22

Jorgi had spent the day relaxing around his apartment, mostly keeping up with some contacts on the internet and checking on the press that was circulating from the previous night's incident at the Hightower. The rest of the time he spent just wishing Tuesday would hurry up and arrive.

At a sharp knock from the door, he severs his mental connection to his computer to see who was calling. He opens the door and finds Ms. Larson, the apartment manager. She is a lady in her fifties who had been very friendly to Jorgi when he signed his lease a couple weeks ago.

"Sorry to bother you, dear," she says. "I just wanted to ask that you try to avoid using your toilet, shower, or any other plumbing. Seems that the sewer is backing up into the basement pretty badly. I've got half a dozen calls out to plumbers, but each one seems to be swamped with similar calls. Not sure when we'll get it fixed, but I'll let you know as soon as it's okay again.

"Guess you never really appreciate something as simple as plumbing until you can't use it. Well, I best be off to tell the other residents."

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Rybaer said:
April 17
9:42

"Hey, you're a tough man to find when you don't want to be found," Andrew says as he looks around the room. "Nice place here. Did they set you up after last night's episode?"

"Andrew! Nice to see a familiar face. Sorry. I wanted to contact you today, to get some news of you and the family. I've pass one of the worst week of my life. I've lived in the street for the whole week, and if it wasn't for Gus, I think I wouldn't have survived it.

Gus is an homeless guy I met. He is a pretty nice guy. He knows all the tricks and place you need to know to live in the street without problem. Well, almost without problem, he was attacked yesterday by some goons. It seems a shapeshifting mutant of some sort had taken his appearance to steal something to the goons. I had to get him out of there hands. I hadn't a moment to relax I had to run here after that.

Anyway, what I want to know, it is how the parents are taking that? I suppose it must not be the heaven at home. Do father want to kill me? Is mother on the edge of a crisis? And any news of my firends? I sent you an e-mail yesterday, and to Yannick and Jennifer too. Did you recieve it?"

Mimic

First Post
April 17

Rybaer said:
"Hey man, what's up?"

"Me and some of the guys are going out for drinks tonight," Deuce says. "You want in?"

If your buying I'm in, he says laughing. Seriously, I don't have any plans so count me in, where do you want to meet?

Rybaer

First Post
April 17
9:43

Velmont said:

"Anyway, what I want to know, it is how the parents are taking that? I suppose it must not be the heaven at home. Do father want to kill me? Is mother on the edge of a crisis? And any news of my firends? I sent you an e-mail yesterday, and to Yannick and Jennifer too. Did you recieve it?"

Andrew looks out the window at the city's skyline, his eyes don't seem to focus on anything in particular.

"Well," he says, "things have certainly been strange since you left. Mother has been having a rough time - between worrying about you and being upset with father. And father, well, he's become kinda withdrawn. It's weird. I've never seen him like that. When we saw you on the news last night, mother was crying with relief that you were okay. Dad, on the other hand, didn't say a word."

He turns to Lawrence and gives him a sympathetic look.

"As for your friends...I spoke with Yannick briefly the other day. He seems to be taking things pretty well and I think he'd like to hear from you. I haven't heard anything from Jennifer, and I don't think she's tried calling the house."

Andrew glances at the television, where a slow-motion clip of Granite punching a hole through the metal sphere is playing. He watches in silence as Granite and then the swarm of spiders plunge through the hole.

"So what are your plans from here? You gonna come home, or are you striking out on your own permanently?"

Rybaer

First Post
April 17

Mimic said:
If your buying I'm in, he says laughing. Seriously, I don't have any plans so count me in, where do you want to meet?

"Right on," Deuce says with a hearty laugh. "Not sure about the buying bit, though.

"We're meeting at the Brass Rails on 10th and Lear St. Eight'ish sound okay? Might drink for a while and then find somewhere to play poker later on. We'll see what everyone's in the mood for."

Thomas has been to the place once before - a fairly classy bar that has an old-world pub feel more than a DJ'd club.

"Oh, and no dates. Guys' night out."

Velmont

First Post
Rybaer said:
April 17
9:43

"So what are your plans from here? You gonna come home, or are you striking out on your own permanently?"

"I think I owe some explanation to the parents. But I dunno if I'll go back to school. I really don't know what I am doing there. I just don't listen in class, and my grades reflect that well. I pass all my course, but at the limit. And I was offer a job opportunity, in the same domain than father. One of the guy I met yesterday, Fate I think, suggested to form a group, the four of us, some kind of enforcement team to help the police against any new mutant threat. Sounds kind of dangerous.

I don't like what I am, but at least, I will be able to use those creepy powers for some good thing. And it isn't like I wasn't able to handle such things, I can dodge bullets. Even that swordman, yesterday, he was better than any hollywood action hero, and he wasn't able to touch me.

I thought of all those thing during the night. And I'm pretty sure I will be in my element. Knowing mother, she will not like that too much, to risk my life, it will play with her nerves. But I really do not know what father will say about it. I would like to have his support on that one."

Lawrence stand up and takes his clothes and enter the bathroom. He speaks loud enough that his brother can hear him.

"We will go back home, but first, I have one business to do. I want to know how Gus goes. He took a bullet yesterday, he seems not seriously injured, but he must still be at the hospital. The problem, I dunno which one. We will have to go to a tavern first, where I left him. They must know where the ambulance took him."

He gets out of the bath room.

"And no, I didn't took alcool there, it was that rocky man I fought with yesterday. It seems he knew many people there. I wouldn't be surprise to know he was the bouncer, with his shape. We left Gus there before we start to run here to help. I suppose you have the car?"

Mimic

First Post
April 17

Brass Rails around eight, sounds good. I'm definately in for poker, could always use more of your money. He says with a laugh

Don't worry about no dates, can't seem to catch any lately anyways, if I didn't know better I would have sworn someone put your ugly mug on my face. It's got to the the only really good explaination...

Rybaer

First Post
April 17
9:45

Velmont said:

"We will go back home, but first, I have one business to do. I want to know how Gus goes. He took a bullet yesterday, he seems not seriously injured, but he must still be at the hospital. The problem, I dunno which one. We will have to go to a tavern first, where I left him. They must know where the ambulance took him."

He gets out of the bath room.

"And no, I didn't took alcool there, it was that rocky man I fought with yesterday. It seems he knew many people there. I wouldn't be surprise to know he was the bouncer, with his shape. We left Gus there before we start to run here to help. I suppose you have the car?"

"Yeah, I've got my car down in the parking ramp," Andrew says. Lawrence was extended complimentary room and services at the hotel for two nights. Not sure if he'll be back or not, he pockets the room key and follows his brother down to the car.

They pull up in front of Moose's Pub. Parking is not an issue as this neighborhood is desolate on a Saturday morning. Lawrence finds the club door locked and no one answers when he knocks. On a whim, he tries knocking at the door to the alley through which he and Granite had entered the night before. No one answers.

Lawrence returns to the car where Andrew is waiting. "No luck, eh?" he says. "Guess it's a little too early for anyone to be at a bar. Want to try calling some of the local hospitals or wait until later?"

Last edited:

Rybaer

First Post
Brass Rails, Downtown, Coast City
April 17
20:14

Thomas arrives at the Brass Rails, greeted by the combined scents of tobacco smoke, alcohol, and wood polish. The pub is dimly lit and decorated in dark woods with brass fixtures. The wood furnishings have been worn and polished over decades of heavy use.

Part of the pub includes an open bar area with a couple televisions and tall tables with stools. The other part consists of a warren of booths with high walls that offer each table a sense of intimate privacy.

Thomas doesn't see his friends in the bar, so he wanders through the booths until he spots them surrounding a large table. Half a dozen guys all shout out warm greetings to him. He knows all of them well from the Army - about half of them are still enlisted.

"Late as usual," Deuce says, giving his hand a friendly grip and ushering him into the booth. "We've got a few things for our guest of honor tonight."

Thomas gives him a dubious "I'm being set up" look.

"First, a drink," Deuce says as one of the guys slides a tall, dark imported beer across the table.

"Second, a uniform." Another guy produces an extra large bright blue t-shirt with a large Superman logo emblazoned across the center. Everyone laughs at this.

"And lastly, a new pet." A shoebox is handed to Thomas and he frowns as he opens it, afraid of what might jump out. Inside, he finds an egg-sized chuck of smooth grey rock with black flecks.

"You have any idea how hard it is to find a good pet rock in Coast City these days?" Deuce asks with mock innocence. "Drink up and spill it. We want to hear the whole story...not the watered down drivel that the television news reporters are spewing."

Velmont

First Post
Rybaer said:
April 17
9:45

Lawrence returns to the car where Andrew is waiting. "No luck, eh?" he says. "Guess it's a little too early for anyone to be at a bar. Want to try calling some of the local hospitals or wait until later?"

"Yes, let's try to call, there is a public phone near here, just next bloc."

When he arrived at the phone, he search his pockets.

"Do you know what is the nearest hospital here."

I had some money left, I am sure... what? a hole?

"And can you give me 25 cents, it seems my pocket have a hole. I think it that's swordman who pierce it. Miss me, but I lose what I had left of my money..."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases