A druid's animal companion...

... gains, among other things, a +2 HD increase when the druid reaches 3rd level. According to th pHB sidebar regarding animal companions, this allows the companion to gain skills/feats as per the MM advancement rules for a creature of that type.

Question is, does it also gain the larger size if it accumulates to appropriate number of hit die?

As a GM, I'd probably rule not as a rule of thumb, unless a player proved it in the rules - however, in this particular case I'm a player and it not only fits into an excellent background, it makes this particular character a great more memorable for a variety of reasons.

Can anyone point out to me why it shouldn't get the size increase per the rules?

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Reviewing the 'Advancement' (MM p.302) paragraph, it states that creatures generally get larger with increases in HD over the suggested ranges. It sure sounds like an animal companion would get larger with greater HD.

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
What Scion said. Animal companions only get what is specifically listed in the sidebar under the Druid class description. No size increase.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
From the 3.5 Main FAQ:

When you add Hit Dice to a druid’s (or ranger’s)
animal companion as the master’s level goes up, does the
animal get any bigger? For instance, when a druid has a
wolf companion, the wolf starts out with the standard 2 Hit
Dice and is size Medium. By the time the druid is 3rd level,
the wolf has 2 bonus Hit Dice. According to the wolf entry
in the Monster Manual, an “advanced” wolf with 4 Hit Dice
would be Large. Is the example companion wolf also
Large?

An animal companion doesn’t get bigger when it adds extra
Hit Dice for the master’s levels. The advancement entries for
creatures, and the rules for advancing monsters, refer to
unusually powerful specimens that are simply tougher (and
perhaps bigger) than normal for their kinds.

-Hyp.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases