Shades of Grey Campaign Setting - Free

Ultramyth

Explorer
Ultramyth Design announces to the world at large, or rather, anyone who will listen, that we're going to be developing our Shades of Grey Campaign setting online, that is, as a website, and free to the general public.

Do we expect to eventually release this as a book, even if it's made free? Yes.

Are we crazy? Yes... well, maybe... you decide.

Why are we doing this? Simple. We are a d20 pdf pubisher. From industry standards, campaign settings sell as one of the poorest of d20 system products. We believe one of the problems is that they can't preview what they're getting, not in the way that you can pick up a book off a shelf and browse through it.

Our tactics here is to build a fanbase, before the campaign setting is ever released, and then further support it, by building a community where the 'fans' can influence the development of the project.

Though there's not much up there yet, the Shades of Grey website is coming together quite nicely. I should mention that it is a setting I've had in the pipeline for many years, in fact, since high school actually, which was a good seven or so years ago.

It is a fantasy campaign setting, with sci-fi elements, and will use the modern rules, although it will be made compatible with the PHB as well.

I've not heard of this being done before, and I'm keen to hear what other publishers, as well as buyers, think of this.

More information, should, be available on the website:

http://www.ultramyth.com/shades

Note: This is was also posted in the d20 publisher forums, however, it was recomended that it also be posted here, since it is free, and everyone here is welcome to take a look at what goodies you may be able to use in your own d20 campaigns.

Ultramyth

Explorer
In another vain attempt to get any kind of feedback whatsoever, here is a quick collage I whipped up of some of the art that will feature in the site.

collage.jpg

From top left, going clockwise, a Daethonin woman, an imperial Sunblader, the head of a Forester elf, the child-empress of Titan, to the right of an Imperial variable fighter, beneath them, a Stygar power suit, to the left is a dwarf, followed by an imperial magekiller. Center is M.O.T.H.E.R. an orbital (and now malfunctioning) automated weather control space station.

Turanil

First Post
I think that releasing the setting for free on the website is a very good idea, and that it probably won't reduce any sales when it is published as a book. For one thing, IMO there cannot be a competition between a book and a website (as could be between a book and a pdf). Then, generally when a DM buy a book (unless it is a basic core rulebook), players don't buy it. Hence, the website is a great thing for players to familiarize themselves with the setting. I see it a good incentive indeed for a DM buy the book, then he can tell his players to see the website (and so not put their greasy fingers on their book). Otherwise the art is compelling, and it's a good idea to base the setting on d20-modern (which indicates btw that it will be easily usable with Grim Tales).

Overall a great and intelligent idea, I think.

-------------------------
(EDIT: I am a little dubious however, about asking people to make paypal donation to support what is basically a commercial project. At least, it should be said that one donating will get a like reduction when purchasing the book directly from you.)

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Is there a downloadable version for offline browsing? My internet connection is a dial-up, and uses the only line the house has, so it's easier for me to download documents to peruse them at my leisure.

Turanil

First Post
Also: you could add an advertising link to your setting into your signature; then participate regularly into the various threads, to help people know about your setting; otherwise in a couple of days everyone has forgotten about it.

Ultramyth

Explorer
Alzrius, sorry, but the website is in a constant state of update. At marked turning points in its development, I may choose to release an offline version, in fact, it shouldn't be too difficult, though this will not occur for a while.

The HTML is optimised, so only images should hold you back, but they're not that big, except for the front page.

Turanil, I'm going to make it compatible with both the PHB and d20 Modern, so everyone can use it. I wanted to use the defense system employed by the d20 modern srd, so that was my initial choice, but that system is not hard to adapt with the SRD being available to anyone that knows roughly how to make a character.

As to the signature idea, its' a great idea. And I've already got mine up. You'll be seeing me around ;)

steelgrave

First Post
I went to take a look, your menu system doesn't work in Mozilla, so I didn't get very far.

Edit, Nevermind it works, just not much there yet hehehehe

Last edited:

JimAde

First Post
Looks cool. The art and background have something of an Anime flavor. Is that something you'll be emphasizing?

Steelgrave: Congratulations. You have the only avatar that ever made me laugh out loud! :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases