Really Twitchy Rats

evolved

First Post
This a monster/race idea that was inspired by the idea of a ratling during a sugar rush

Twichties ( Its only a temporary name )
+2 dex -2 con -2 wis
these guys are quick on their feet, but don't stop to consider, they burn energy very fast, and don't have much staying power.

medium

base speed 50ft

lowlight vision

may take scent as a feat if wis is 9+

run as bonus feat

+2 intiative checks

-2 hide and concentration checks

+2 move silently and slight of hand
only takes half penaltiesfrom rapid movement to move silently checks

Need twice as much food and water as a human to maintain themselves

Only 4 hours of sleep in a 24 hour cycle reqiuered

must make a will save 15 + 2per consecutive round the twitchy has not moved at least 5 ft to stay in the same place

if standing still this increases to 20 +3 per consecutive round

1/day+1/day per 3 levels a twitchy may in addition to iits normal actions in a round move up to its base speed, this is during all its normal actions and does not cause any penalties or bonuses aside from bieng able to move around to alter angles and ranges as well as bringing multiple targets into range of a full attack

Favored class rouge

Ecl +1?

I'll put in fluff and clean it up later right now I'm concerned with the mechanics of this race any comments?

Hmm... I'm a tad confused about the movement penalty...

If I'm a twitchie..

Standing still requires a DC 15 will save, +1 DC for each round I have stood still...

Or is this 20 + 3 DC/rnd?

Either way - that's steep for a 1st lvl character w/ poor will.

Why not something like DC 20 - class level + the number of rounds you have not moved more than 5'. Each 5' you move beyond the first reduces your DC for the next check by 1.

Horrible for a first level character - but also rather challenging for manuevering on the battlefield.

Perhaps a simple concept, to represent the 'fidgety' nature of what you are talking about would work better:
For each round the twitchie has not moved, they gain a +1 dodge bonus to their AC. This 'twitch' bonus cannot exceed their class bonus, and each rnd it is applied, they must succeed at a DC 15 + twitch bonus in order to not move that round. If they fail, they must move more than 5' in any direction or directions that round. If they cannot, they become 'shaken' as per the condition.

------------

Drop base land speed to 40' or raise LA to 2 - if you don't you'll note that while you specifically stated rogue as native class, most power players will take monk or barbarian. Most likely monk4 for even greater speed, use of spring attack to counter their penalty above, etc.

-----

I personally, for a LA+1, give them a +4 Dex, -4 Con, -2 Wisdom, and the improved initiative feat for free (maybe +2 Dex, -4 con, Imp Init + Run? or Dodge?). Land speed base 40'. +2 Sleight of Hand, +2 Tumble.

Then I'd impose one of the movement penalties above.

Then, if I wanted to keep the SA you described - 1 + Class Levels/2 per day, add one move action (note: not move-equivalent) for 1 round or just Haste for 1 + Class Levels/day times for 1 round.

evolved

First Post
OK round 2 ding-ding

Twitchies
+2 dex -2 con -2 wis

medium

humanoid

speed 40ft

lowlight vision

Energy burn : a twitchy reqiures twice as much food and water as a human but only half as much sleep, also has a +4 saving vs sleep effects

+2 move silently and tumble
Twitchies only take half the move silently penalties for moving rapidly

Run and Dodge as bonus feats

Twitchy (EX): For every consecutive round a twitchie has not moved at least 5ft it gets a +1 bonus on Attack Rolls and AC during the next round this bonus cannot exceed a twitchie's character level, but also after every round that a twitchie does not move it must make a will save DC 16+1/2 character level+ their current twitchy bonus, if it fails it must immediatley move at least 10 ft. Also immune to Paralysis

Don't touch (EX): Twitchies hate bieng grappled or trapped, they have a +4 on escape artist checks of all kinds, also when a twitchy attempts an escape artist attempt to get out of a grapple the other creature(s)(even allies) in the grapple take 1d8/per round the twitchie has been in the grapple+the twitchie's str bonus as it turns into a whirling, twisting, squirming hellion. Also a twitchie must make will saves during the grapple as the twitchy effect comes into play. A grappled twitchy must still break free of the grapple to move if it fails the save but it still lose the bonuses, if the twitchy is in control of the grapple when it fails a save it must end the grapple.

Example of twitchy ability

Twitchie rouges rushed in with first attack managing to kill the first hobgoblin with his sneak attack bonus, now he decides to stand his ground while the slow pokes (the rest of the party) catch up. The hob misses the over-caffienated rat, next turn (that lousy elf never could keep up) the twitchy has +1 Attack rolls and AC he manages to make the save so he may continue to stand his ground, the hob is getting nervous because this fluff ball is starting to make stange noises and spin like a well balanced top (in place) the poor hob cant hit it so he attempts a retreat, the twitchy decides that the hob is food and rushes after him getting a +2 bonus from the twitchy ability wich lasts through his turn letting him smack the hob as it tries to escape but ends as soon as the twitchie's turn is over

Favored class- rouge

Ecl +1 Maybe +2 ( in that case just give them scentwithout feat )

does this balance?

Good stuff. Getting very close to a character I'd not only play, but use in my campaign :)

---------------------------

Twitchies
+2 dex -2 con -2 wis
--------
As a GM - applause
As a player - "Aw gee, can't we balance out these stats to -not- be a penalty??" :)

-------
medium

humanoid

speed 40ft

lowlight vision

Energy burn : a twitchy reqiures twice as much food and water as a human but only half as much sleep, also has a +4 saving vs sleep effects

---------
+4 against any sleep/charm or otherwise movement hampering effects (hold person, etc.) ?
---------

+2 move silently and tumble
Twitchies only take half the move silently penalties for moving rapidly

-------
sweet - 40 * 5 = 200 on a run, as opposed to 30*4 = 120 for normals :)
barb1 + monk4 = 60 * 5 = 300' on a run :)
Plus another 10' from a couple of feats... 70 * 5 = 350' run!
-------

Twitchy (EX): For every consecutive round a twitchie has not moved at least 5ft it gets a +1 bonus on Attack Rolls and AC during the next round this bonus cannot exceed a twitchie's character level, but also after every round that a twitchie does not move it must make a will save DC 16+1/2 character level+ their current twitchy bonus, if it fails it must immediatley move at least 10 ft. Also immune to Paralysis

-------
I'm thinking when you clean this thing up for verbiage, you'll clarify/simplify this a little...
Perhaps -
Twitch (SU): For every consecutive round a twitchie has not moved at least 5', it gets a +1 competence (? should be named bonus, but which?) bonus to attack rolls and AC. This bonus cannot exceed it's character level. Each round that the twitchy receives this bonus, it must immediately succeed at a will save DC 15 + twitch bonus at the beginning of it's round or else move at least 10' before taking any other action, thus losing the twitch bonus for that round.

Just a thought. Adding +1/2 character level to the DC makes it harder as a twitch advances to keep from losing that twitch bonus. Shouldn't it get easier for a twitch to stand still over time?
---------

Don't touch (EX): Twitchies hate bieng grappled or trapped, they have a +4 on escape artist checks of all kinds, also when a twitchy attempts an escape artist attempt to get out of a grapple the other creature(s)(even allies) in the grapple take 1d8/per round the twitchie has been in the grapple+the twitchie's str bonus as it turns into a whirling, twisting, squirming hellion. Also a twitchie must make will saves during the grapple as the twitchy effect comes into play. A grappled twitchy must still break free of the grapple to move if it fails the save but it still lose the bonuses, if the twitchy is in control of the grapple when it fails a save it must end the grapple.

-------
wooo - 1d8 per round of grapple??? I'd actually -charge- things to grapple them, and wait a few rounds before trying to escape - 2 rnds will do more than my longsword or rapier :)

1d4 or 1d6 + twitch bonus would be reasonable. The rest is just cool.
--------
Example of twitchy ability

Twitchie rouges rushed in with first attack managing to kill the first hobgoblin with his sneak attack bonus, now he decides to stand his ground while the slow pokes (the rest of the party) catch up. The hob misses the over-caffienated rat, next turn (that lousy elf never could keep up) the twitchy has +1 Attack rolls and AC he manages to make the save so he may continue to stand his ground, the hob is getting nervous because this fluff ball is starting to make stange noises and spin like a well balanced top (in place) the poor hob cant hit it so he attempts a retreat, the twitchy decides that the hob is food and rushes after him getting a +2 bonus from the twitchy ability wich lasts through his turn letting him smack the hob as it tries to escape but ends as soon as the twitchie's turn is over

Favored class- rouge

Ecl +1 Maybe +2 ( in that case just give them scentwithout feat )

does this balance?

----------
I think it's balanced for a +1 with the automatic scent. :) If you lost the twitch bonus (eck) it'd be real close to a +0.

Twitch bonus should be lost immediately if the character moves 5'. That includes having failed his save. Otherwise, stand still for x rnds, -then- charge for a +2 attack + X twitch bonus. ::shudder:: high level monk twitches with a +40 to hit bad! Even if it does take x rounds to get there :(

Heh - I think I'll use this 'twitch' concept as a new spell...

Hmm Cle2/Drui1/Wiz2/sor2/Bard2?

the Jester

Legend
These guys get really good bonuses from trying to stand still? I'd give 'em a LA +2 as is, but you could throw scent in there without bumping that any higher.

evolved

First Post
Round 3 ding-ding

Twitchies
+2 dex -2 con -2 wis

medium

humanoid

Lowlight vision

Scent ability

Energy Burn (EX): Twitchies require twice as much food and water as a normal human, but only half as much sleep. This also provides a +4 saving throw bonus vs. any sleep effect

-2 Hide and Concentraion checks

+2 Move Silently and Tumble checks
Twitchies take only half move silently penalties for moving rapidly

Twitch (SU): For every consecutive round a twitchie has not moved at least 5', it gets a +1 speed bonus to attack rolls and AC. This bonus cannot exceed it's character level. Each round that the twitchy receives this bonus, it must immediately succeed at a will save DC 15 + twitch bonus at the beginning of it's round or else move at least 10' before taking any other action, thus losing the twitch bonus for that round. Also twitchies are immune to Paralysis effects and Slow effects.

Don't touch (EX): Twitchies hate bieng grappled or trapped, they have a +4 on escape artist checks of all kinds, also when a twitchy attempts an escape artist attempt to get out of a grapple the other creature(s)(even allies) in the grapple take 1d6+current twitch bonus damage as it turns into a whirling, twisting, squirming hellion. Also a grappled twitchie need not make the will saves for its twitchy ability until it is free of or in control of (pinning the other guy) the grapple if it fails a save while pinning someone they release hold immediatly and run.

Favored class - Rouge

+1 ECL

Twitchies are brown or grey furred humanoids, who resemble above all else bipedal rats with to much caffiene in the system. They spend most of their life rushing around and getting into trouble. They are always sneaking into peoples kitchens, and larders attempting to snag their next meal or drink. They become so hungry after combat that some have been known to eat their fallen foes. Aside from this the are usually civilized and tend to adopt the customs alignments, and values of the dominant culture in their area so long as it doesn't interfere with obtaining food.

Last edited:

Dogbrain

First Post
evolved said:
They spend most of their life rushing around and getting into trouble. They are always sneaking into peoples kitchens, and larders attempting to snag their next meal or drink. They become so hungry after combat that some have been known to eat their fallen foes. Aside from this the are usually civilized and tend to adopt the customs alignments, and values of the dominant culture in their area so long as it doesn't interfere with obtaining food.

Have you met my second and third sons?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases