Do you prefer Monster statistics in an adventure's text or at the end

Where do you prefer NPC/Monster stats in a published adventure?

• Near the text where the NPC/Monster is first mentioned

Votes: 145 74.4%
  • In the back of the adventure in an appendix

Votes: 50 25.6%

pogre

Legend
Howdy!

If you use adventure modules - do you prefer the NPC and Monster's stats near the text where they are mentioned or in an appendix in the back? If you care to elaborate on why that would be great too.

Silveras

First Post
I did not vote, because my response would be "both".

I would prefer a short stat block in the text near its "normal" location, with a matching lookup stat block in the summary list.

Crothian

First Post
I like them with the encounter, saves on page flipping.

But what would be best is to havea pull out section with the stat blocks in it. THat way the module can be opened and the stat blocks can be used easily with out taking up room.

pogre

Legend
Silveras said:
I did not vote, because my response would be "both".

I would prefer a short stat block in the text near its "normal" location, with a matching lookup stat block in the summary list.

Why? How does the short summary stat block help? If that's all you need why would you want the larger stat block in the back? I am trying to gain insight into people's playing (DMing really) styles - not attacking your position ;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Crothian said:
I like them with the encounter, saves on page flipping.

But what would be best is to havea pull out section with the stat blocks in it. THat way the module can be opened and the stat blocks can be used easily with out taking up room.

Yup - agree on both points :)

PostIt flags help... but flipping gets old pretty fast :)

-Hyp.

Gort

Explorer
Yeah, have them near where they're gonna be used, so I don't have to keep two pages ready.

Of course, if it's just an MM monster, I'm okay with just a page reference.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
It depends what range of levels the adventure covers. If it's an adventure written to support 1st through 14th level characters for instance, I think having the statblocks in the back is the only reasonable way to do it. If the adventure is written to support a party of a single, set level, then it's more convenient to have the statblocks in the adventure.

However, as Crothian expressed, the best of all worlds would be to have a pullout section with the stats on it. . . well, actually, the best of all possible worlds would be to have pre-printed 3x5 initiative cards with all the statblocks printed on them and room to record changes in their hit points (and other commonly changing things like AC and attack and damage bonusses--you'd need something a little bit more like the cards that come with the D&D minis sets than like a standard statblock.

pogre

Legend
Elder-Basilisk said:
However, as Crothian expressed, the best of all worlds would be to have a pullout section with the stats on it. . . well, actually, the best of all possible worlds would be to have pre-printed 3x5 initiative cards with all the statblocks printed on them and room to record changes in their hit points (and other commonly changing things like AC and attack and damage bonusses--you'd need something a little bit more like the cards that come with the D&D minis sets than like a standard statblock.

Cool Idea. Yoink!

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
I do something much like E-B, with combat sheets drawn up for each room and encounter listing all the pertinent info such as AC, HP, attacks, etc., plus a list of potential strategies, information known about the area (my players are big into interrogation of prisoners), etc. It's all part of my getting familiar with the module.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases