Complete Divine: WASTRI god of bigotry AND AMPHIBIANS???

Eric Anondson said:
Leave it to Complete Divine to strip important flavor out of these deities. Wastri is also the god of self-deception.

How does a god who promotes human supremacy among his followers reconcile also pushing his followers into admiring amphibians? Self-deception.

Regards,
Eric Anondson

Could be worse. There could have been a very overpowered "Slimy Servant of Wastri" PrC which gives up no abilities except for a few skill points on Knowledge (herpetology) but gives you "thief" hit points and a massive number of special abilities.

stevelabny

Explorer
the one paragraph blurb for Wastri isnt all bad, it got me to start a thread about him right? And now I know his whole story. :-D

When was the last time someone started a thread about him?

In thanks, he sent me a personal invite to be his next cleric.

Ribbit

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Just because he's a human supremicist shouldn't mean that he can't be enamored of toads, does it? It's not like he wants to eliminate all other forms of life besides mankind. His take on human supremacy is really just about being a racist. He hates demihumans and other human-like-but-not-fully-human creatures.

Besides, toads are just mindless, fun, warty little guys. No threat to human domination over the world. I expect that his personal regard for these little guys also extends to "toadlike" creatures, such as bullywugs (in a weird kind of way- but let's take note, he's not the most stable of personalities). Yes, they're humanoid, but perhaps in his mania, Wastri only sees them as really big toads that walk and talk (kind of).

Or, you could always look at it in the way Trollwad presented it, which is the whole "human supremacy" angle is just a ruse. Should work either way.

Werebat

Explorer
If you've been following the recent flap over Pepe the Frog, and wondering WTF, now you have your answer -- Wastri, the Hopping Prophet.

Max_Killjoy

First Post
so here I am flipping through a borrowed copy of Complete Divine, and I get to the deities section and find a listing of minor Greyhawk deities including WASTRI, whos portfolios include bigotry (human supremacy) AND AMPHIBIANS. WTF? can anyone who played in Greyhawk give me a reason for his existence? which rule book/ module/ novel is his first appearance? I NEED to know the story behind this guy. How does someone into human supremacy develop a soft spot for toads? This has to be the absolutely most bizarre thing I've ever seen in an "official" d&d book.
I don't know, it seems to fit right in with the bizarro gods that are quite common in D&D pantheons.

fuindordm

Adventurer
Co-opting a fraction of the human population actually sounds like the only realistic strategy for a minority demihuman/nonhuman power to rise in the rankings.

Wastri does have a certain Pepe-ish meme-smugness look about him:

Wastri.jpg

If you've been following the recent flap over Pepe the Frog, and wondering WTF, now you have your answer -- Wastri, the Hopping Prophet.

Remove ads