Suggestions?

iblis

First Post
Hey all.

Any advice from experienced roleplayers as to what to spend my ill-gotten funds on, given the following factors? :

* Have just purchased the D&D 3.5 core books

* Am interested in rules supplements, settings, adventures...anything well written, and preferably aesthetically pleasing.

* Wish to avoid overly 'kiddy'-oriented stuff.

* Don't mind reading, or thinking. I'll even attempt both simultaneously if required. ;)

TIA,

iblis

The books that I have enjoyed most lately are the Draconomicon, Book of Exalted Deeds, and the Complete Divine... however, at current, I am playing a cleric/paladin...

Draconomicon is a beautiful book with a lot of really interesting information... I like to read it just for fun... may not be the most useful book in the world, but I do like it...

Those are my most recent favorites... however, there are many many more that I own and enjoy.

With the options presented in the 3.5 Core Books you can really run for years...

Complete Warrior and Complete Divine (they are not the best things out there, but beautiful and Official. If you are thinking about running adventures from the RPGA, these and the FR supplements for Legacy of the Green Regent are the only allowed rules accessories... grumble)

The Complete Book of Eldritch Might - a really good book about arcane spellcasting

"Dungeon" for Adventures... (something fits always)

Adventures for Beginning DM's:
hmm. Orcfest (with lots of help for fledgling DM's), NeMoren's Vault, Of Sound Mind, Crucible Of Freya (those are for 3.0)

Other really helpful things:
Initiative cards (free from The Game Mechanics)
Complete Spell Cards (from The Other Game Comapany via RPGNow)
(there are also Monsters and Psionics)

Trying out a Dragon now and then, if the article themes suit you...

Settings - Arcana Unearthed (Diamond Throne), Iron Kingdoms, Kalamar

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) Quoting myself in another thread:

My groups get loads of use out of the WOTC softcovers in general, but I also make extensive use of AEG's books Mercenaries and Feats. I personally just sold my Mongoose stuff- too many typos, and the PrCls seemed unbalanced.

However, hands-down the best book I've picked up from the category of class specific books was Green Ronin's Book of the Righteous. It covers Clerics and Paladins, and adds a slew of PrCls. All of the Clerics, Paladins and PrCls are grouped- 1 of each to a specific deiety's church. What makes it stand out, though (in addition to its great layout and the obvious care that went into it), is that it contains a system to create holy warriors.

That means you can make holy warriors who are not Paladins, and also to make your Paladins vary from diety to diety, right down to Domain- appropriate powers. They even made sure that you could make a regular Paladin from scratch when using this system-so even though balance isn't guaranteed, they came as close as humanly possible.

If you EVER want to play a D20 Paladin, you should get this book. Even though you might not use the deities, the church heirarchies are eminently adjustible to any campaign.

2) Temple of Elemental Evil, in any form you can find it, is one of the best modules out there. While none of these has been updated for 3Ed, Tomb of Horrors, Desert of Desolation and White Plume Mountain are also classics. There is also the Vecna Lives high-level module that is pretty juicy.

3) I once used a 1-page update page formatted like a newspaper to give players updates on their actions and what else was newsworthy in the campaign world. While the "G.A.I.A. Gazetteer was used in a Champions campaign based on the works of H.G.Welles, Jules Verne, and the Space: 1889 game campaign world, the concept could easily be translated into the sheet carried by a town crier or posted by a herald.

I recommend this technique whole-heartily because it makes the players think about the campaign world in real-world terms, and the little rumors and blurbs planted in the sheet often lead to table talk and speculation that will provide you with ample adventure hooks and ideas. After the initial 3 adventures in that campaign, I didn't have to come up with any more ideas for adventures for almost a year- the players gave me everything I needed, and were never the wiser.

johnsemlak

First Post
Adventures:

Also, note that Death in Freeport, a popular 3.0 module, ahs been updated for 3.5 and is available at RPGnow.com.

I second recommendations for Crucible of Freya, Of Sound Mind (works well with Psionics), and NeMorans Vault.

MonsterMash

First Post
Other good products if you want more mini-campaign type adventures are the Lost City of Barakus and Grey Citadel (both Necromancer games), and Green Ronin's Freeport series is highly recommended.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Well, if you don't want to create your own gameworld (either cause you're lazy or you want to put all your energy into creating a good adventure and interesting NPC's), you'll want to have a nice campaign setting. These are my favourites:

The Forgotten Realms: It's "vanilla D&D Fantasy". Things are largely as seen in the core rulebooks. High fantasy, high magic, high power. The realms offer a lot of additional material, a complete continent with a lot of history, and several pantheons full of gods. It's Wizards' flagship so to speak, and I use no other world for classic Fantasy gaming.

For starters, you'll need the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, and maybe the Player's Guide to Faerûn. The FRCS has one or two chapters which are very rules-heavy (a truckload of subraces, a lot of Feats, Prestige Classes, and Spells), but the rest is fluff, fluff, fluff (background material): Information about Life in Faerûn (the Continent the adventures take place on), about magic, history, geography (really big chapter), deities (over 100), cosmology, organizations... The Player's Guide updates the rules material of FR books (not just the FRCS) to 3.5, introduces a lot of new material and incorporates other D&D rulebooks (Manual of the Planes, Epic Level Handbook, Book of Vile Darkness / Exalted Deeds, Expanded Psionics Handbook) into the Realms. Additional supplements offer in-depth information about specific regions of the game world, about evil organizations, magic, the gods and goddesses, monsters, and the available races.

Midnight: Think of Lord of the Rings, maybe 100 years after the movies. Now think how Middle Earth would look like if Sauron had won. That's Midnight (its not Middle Earth, but it is a lot like Middle Earth would be if Sauron had won). The Characters are quite powerful, but they are alone, and may be the last heroes the world has seen, before the forces of darkness eliminate the last vestiges of resistance. Midnight is a lot darker than normal D&D. The only deity available to grant spells is the Great Enemy, and arcane magic is substantially different from normal D&D. Midnight offers a number of different Base Classes (as the magic using ones from the PHB aren't available to players, and only the Cleric sort of persists in the form of the Legate, a class that isn't meant for players, but for their worst enemies), the races are not what you know from D&D (but they are more powerful).

For Starters, you want the Midnight Campaign Setting. Like the FRCS, it has a couple of rules-heavy sections (describing the new races, classes, Prestige Classes, and the spell system, as well as new Feats, skills, weapons), and the rest is information about all aspects of the game world.
There are a couple of other rulebooks out already (Midnight is fairly new), like a Player's Guide who is stuffed with rules-heavy material (so it's a good companion to the Campaign Setting, who only sported the necessary rules stuff), a Monster Book, an introductory adventure (who also has advice on how to convert normal adventures into midnight), and maybe a couple of others

Legend of the Five Rings - Rokugan: This is high fantasy, but not based on medieval Europe, but rather on Asia (with heavy emphasis on Japan), and was evolved from the Trading Card Game of the same name. It also offers new base classes (as several concepts of D&D, like Paladin, Wizard or Cleric, don't fit into a Wuxia setting), and of course there are new feats, spells, Prestige Classes, races, and skills. Rokugan has only 3 races (humans, ratlings and naga, with humans by far the most important), but the humans are divided into several Clans that define their behaviour and outlook on live. Instead of pantheons of gods, religion is comprised of ancestor veneration, spirit worship and philosophy, all in a state of co-existance, and magic is nearly-inseparable from religion. In Rokugan, your honor is much more important than your alignment, and the setting is very heavy on politics (not just hack'n'slash. It even has a courtier class who is near useless on the battlefield, but has its place at the imperial court, a battlefield not less deadly than the conventional ones).

To start playing in Rokugan, you'll need the Oriental Adventures supplement from Wizards and the Rokugan d20 Campaign Setting from Alderac. The OA has mostly the "crunch" (new rules), while Rokugan d20 focuses on "fluff" (flavour and background information), though Rokugan has a fair amount of crunch, too.
There is a large amount of additional supplements for Rokugan, for every Great Clan, important Class/Role, and for a couple of other topics, like Magic, Cosmology/Religion, Creatures and exotic weapons. These supplements contain a large amount of background information about the topic at hand and its history, and even sports small stories to flavour the chapters. It always offers new rules, too, but none of these books is merely packed with crunch (maybe except the monster supplement).

Ravenloft: Another of the older Settings for D&D (FR is an old one, too, but L5R found its way to D&D/d20 only with the creation of the d20 model, and Midnight is quite new), Ravenloft offers tales of Gothic Horror. If you like zombies, vampires, werewolves, and Frankenstein-like constructs, and want to instill horror into your players, you're right here. In Ravenloft, event he land is evil, and will both reward and punish evil-doers (at the same time, and in a manner ironically appropriate to their deeds)

To start up, you'll want to get the Ravenloft Player's Guide (the 3.5 version of the Ravenloft Campaign setting including some additional stuff), and the setting has several supplements as well, including its own Dungeon Master's Guide and monster book.

Flyspeck23

First Post
iblis said:
* Have just purchased the D&D 3.5 core books
Yes, and I wasn't disappointed.

* Am interested in rules supplements, settings, adventures...anything well written, and preferably aesthetically pleasing.
KaeYoss gave a reasonable summary above.
I'd only like to add Ebberon and the Iron Kingdoms (not released yet - but maybe soon...). Both are IMHO very interesting, but of course it's a matter of personal preference. Oh, and there's Nyambe, but that's a 3.0 setting.
If you'd like to develop your own campaign world, check out Expeditous Retreat's Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe and Magical Society: Ecology and Culture.

One of my all-time favorite supplement is Malhavoc Press' Requiem for a God. It's 3.0, but that shouldn't stop you.
Another favorite is Armies of the Abyss and Legions of Hell from Green Ronin, and IIRC these monster books on demons and devils were reprinted in 3.5 format in one volume recently.
And Necromancer's Book of Taverns is great too. Very cool ideas for some unusual taverns. Similar to that, there's Atlas Game's Seven Strongholds.
If you can find Paradigm's Unveiled Masters, get it - the best and possibly the last sourcebook on Mind Flayers. And while you're at it, grab the companion book, Green Ronin's Plot & Poison, a sourcebook on drow.

If you're into PDFs, visit RPGNow.com and check out EN Publising's Complete Guide to Beholders and (if you like prestige classes) the Librum Equitis Compiled, Anubium's Dark Arts of Necromancy, and Throwing Dice Game's Character Customization.
And there's much more. For a start, I'd advice you take a look at RPGNow.com's Best Customer Rated products.

* Wish to avoid overly 'kiddy'-oriented stuff.
Me too ;)

sir_ollibolli said:
Complete Spell Cards (from The Other Game Comapany via RPGNow)
(there are also Monsters and Psionics)
I second that ;)
Links are in my .sig :)

Remove ads