Help Running the Temple of Death location from module X5

johnsemlak

First Post
My PCs are about to assult the Temple of Death, in Module X5 (converted to 3.5).

Any tips from poeple who have run this before?

What are some useful strategies for running and roleplaying the Master?
What are some useful strategies for running and roleplaying the other NPCs?
What changes would you make to the map?
What changes would you make to the NPCs and monsters?
What other tweaks would you make?

Spoilers below:

I definitely want to make a few changes to the module as written. Here are my ideas so far:
  • I want to enable the PCs to free the Storm Giant, and have that as one way for the PCs to overcome the Master. Any tips on a method for the PCs to free him?
  • I want to make the casket of Hosadus better guarded. Perhaps put it in the underground section, and place magical wards and/or powerful guards.
  • I definitely want the Master to be an NPC the characters are incapable of defeating directly. I think I can assure this by simply making sure he always is accompanied by guards, other NPCs, etc.
  • The characters are at level 9-10, and I want to adjust several of the low-CR monsters accordingly. I'll add levels in Fighter and War Hulk to the Ogres and Hill Giant for example.
  • I'd like to add one more outsider-type guard. I think the Malfera's are cool (check out my conversion in progress). What would be another really new one?
  • I'll represent the Diviners and Holy Men with various classes. I'll use the church inquisitor for the Diviniers, and the Paladin of Tyrrany for some of the Holy Men.

Any thoughts on those or other ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

viscounteric

Explorer
johnsemlak said:
My PCs are about to assult the Temple of Death, in Module X5 (converted to 3.5).

Just ran this a few months ago in Hackmaster, so I can't give 3.5 specific help.

For my campaign, the Master was the badass of badasses. When the PCs reach the inner temple, keep throwing baddies at them, and keep the pressure on them. If they are able to overcome the deluge, then give them a reprieve (until the next wave can form). The Master thinks he can take on all the PCs (and stat-wise, should give them a good showing), and his early attacks should literally strike fear in the PLAYERS' hearts! :eek:

*I want to enable the PCs to free the Storm Giant, and have that as one way for the PCs to overcome the Master. Any tips on a method for the PCs to free him?
I believe the Storm Giant is freed from his obligation after the Master 'activates' him. If the PCs watch the puppet show in Magden, add clues how he can be freed. Maybe a lightening bolt cast at him?

*I want to make the casket of Hosadus better guarded. Perhaps put it in the underground section, and place magical wards and/or powerful guards.
My group had only heard Hosadus as a god, and no one in the group could read the foreign script on his casket. Best case, use his casket as a stone base for the vampire's coffin. :uhoh:
*I definitely want the Master to be an NPC the characters are incapable of defeating directly. I think I can assure this by simply making sure he always is accompanied by guards, other NPCs, etc.
Definitely workable, although once the group get into the inner temple there should be no going back. The Master may be cocky, but he sure as hell isn't completely stupid. The pressure of reinforcements should force the PCs to either (a) defeat the Master and take the skyship (b) use the dungeon or (c) nuke the frickin' place.
adding levels/variety *snip*
With my limited 3e knowledge, those ideas sound good.

In my campaign the group used up all their rings of invisibility, scrolls, and a good number of the battle mage's spells to sneak into the temple. They got through the outer and middle temples, circumventing just about every problem presented them.

Then the malferas noticed them :confused: . The group took care of the monsters and a few nearby guards, and began a Keystone Cop-like chase through the secret passageways. After eluding, killing their pursuers and killing one kitchen staff, they escaped down the secret passage to the dungeon. To not completely spoil it for potential players, they escaped with their lives, the gnome titan slaying half the troops in front of him (including the giant), and grabing a large chest along the way. :cool: It was a fun surprise when they got back to their cave hideout and opened it. :eek:

johnsemlak

First Post
The Cardinal said:
keep 'em coming! I'm just running my group through X4 (using GURPS and Yrth), and any additional ideas for X5 are welcome...

Well, since I'm nearing the end of my campaing, I could add soem thoughts:

**SPOILERS**
I made the wyvern-flying magic-user a regular feature, and several more were encountered in the campaign.

I changed a lot of monsters and don't seem to be connected to the plot. A lot of Basic/Expert adventures choose monsters from the very small monster lists in the two boxed sets, and often you have monsters appearing with now particular reason of why they're there (i.e. the medusas in the Great Pass. I do use all of hte New Monsters in the adventure--they're one of the things I like best about the adventure.

I made the selection of monsters that make up the Master's army and patrols much more uniform. It seemed ot me like it was a collection of random beasts and humanoids. IMC it included humans, orcs, giants, trolls, ogres, and a few trained beasts. Some patrols feature archers mounted on axe beaks :). As mentioned before, I kept the Geonid patrols in the Great Pass.

Remember, you'll probably have to detail one-two more towns besides Magden. Also, one of hte encounters in Magden that the players didn't experience, I simply saved for the next town.

I had the Kingdom of Hule populated by humans, some orcs and ohter humanoids, and alos the Cat Folk from the Miniatures Handbook. I thought it would be a good idea to have one race in the kingdom not seen elsewhere in the known world.

Well, those are most of the ideas I can remember that are not specific to 3.5. If I think of more I'll let you know.

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
No real 3rd ed suggestions, but on on staging of the module. I've gone through this twice as a PC, and each time our party was basically railroaded into the staged climactic battle (you should know which I mean) and left shortly afterwards. Thus, we missed 80% of the module, which I never even found out until I bought the module myself (I never found out we'd been fooled, either). So, you might have to give your PCs some extra incentive to penetrate further into the Temple, if they think they've accomplished their mission already.

Wycen

Explorer
I have X4 and X5, and tried to run them, but only got so far as the juggernauts in the desert of X4. Don't remember why we stopped, that was over a decade ago.

But I do remember thinking, "How are the players ever going to get from place to place in the temple once the first alarm is sounded?" This was before the idea of stealth or roleplaying a way out of the situation ever occured to any of us.

But it does illustrate that getting caught somewhere early within the temple can make the going a lot tougher.

Remove ads