Crossed Paths, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

doghead

thotd
Marcus watches the proceedings from his position off to one side. He keeps an eye on the croc and other lizard man as well.

While he can't understand what is being said, he trusts that the tone of the discussion will tell him if things go bad. Bad. Marcus scans the surrounding area for any sign of trouble or untoward activity.

ooc: Sense Motive? +9, Spot +6.

Despaxas

First Post
Tullius moves towards Brioc and Ehldannis. "Hmm, He's just looking for saurial artifacts. I think we can work with him. By the way, what did Grassus say, he seemed agitated? Oh and ask him about the minotaurs."

OOC: I'm assuming one of the 2 is translating what is said, if not don't pay attention to this post :)

Manzanita

First Post
G'ruk

G'ruk watches the various exchanges between participants in languages he does no appear to know. His face is largely impenitrable. Marcus does not get the impression that he is nervous. On the contrary, he seems calm and self-assured. Brioc alone feels he has gained some sense of the shamen's facial expressions, from being the only one to understand him most of the time, and from his extensive knowledge of the natural world. G'ruk, to Brioc, does seem an almost straightforward mix of crocodile and human.

I assume either Elhannis or Brioc will translate everything for the others.

"Good. If I have your word, then, on this split of anything found, perhaps we should proceed." G'ruk shifts his footing in the muck.

"Last time we met, I drew you a map. I know of an entrance to the caverns of the Saurials near where the underground river crosses these caverns. I am loathe to travel with you to there, but I can take the river and meet you there. We can then proceed."

Inez Hull

First Post
"My apologies Brioc, at a certain point the magic runs of it's own will, and I thought it expedient to speak in a tongue which both you and G'ruk would understand. In future I will converse with him in his own tongue as a show of respect to you both, although it may make the communication slightly more drawn out."

Ehldannis turns to G'ruk and speaks to the lizard shaman in his own tongue, then translates in latin to all his companions, "My apologies if my use of the tongue of your faith caused offence, my magic grants the power to communicate but not the knowledge of the languages' teaching. If I understand correctly our agreement to work together involves only you, with no guarantee for your kin. If that is the case then we will reserve the right to defend ourselves, although if you are able to broker peace we will stand by it. However, I think it best that you inform us more of your peoples ties to the Gnolls and Minotaurs, we are walking into the midst of a foreign kingdom and it would go well for all of us if we know the path of least resistance as it were. A last request on my own behalf, any items of Melnibonean heritage I will claim for myself."

doghead

thotd
"I have a question. If it comes down to a battle between us and the Gnolls and Minotaurs, on which side will the lizard men stand?"

Manzanita

First Post
G'ruk

"I have no interest in becoming involved in any battles with you. Nor aiding you against the forces of the king. Our agreement is limited for now to this one expedition. After that, we shall see. I have already instructed those directly loyal to me not to come into conflict with you. If we depart together, I shall tell them to take no hostile actions for two sunrises. After that, if I have not returned, they will suspect treachery and will act against you as they see fit. If I return before then, we will be able to negotiate again. I do work for the king, but I see no reason I cannot also work with you."

doghead

thotd
Marcus ponders the slinkies response. Pragmatic. Or perhaps opportunistic is more accurate. Damned if I can tell anything from his expression. I wonder if we are as unreadable to him. I don't like it at all. Marcus stifles the urge to lift the bow, draw, and bury a shaft in the slinky. He glances at the crocodile. He growls at it.

Jarval

Explorer
"Thank you." Brioc acknowledges Ehldannis' change of tactic with his spell gratefully.

"We will not ask you to join us in any battle against the gnolls, but you should know this: we encountered them yesterday, and killed nearly three dozen of their number." Brioc says to G'ruk. "Should this information be of use to your tribe, feel free to pass it along."

Wolf saunters out of the woods, carrying a rabbit in his mouth. On spotting the two crocodiles, he drops his kill, and growls loudly at the two lizards, slowly advancing forwards to stand beside Marcus.

"Wolf, down!" Brioc says, and Wolf's growl slowly tails off. His hackles don't go down, however, and he stands tense, ready to fight.

Manzanita

First Post
G'ruk

"Very well, then. Do you understand where to meet me? Is there anything else we need to discuss before I depart? As for Melnibonean items, those you also have."

Jarval

Explorer
"I think we're ready to go." Brioc agrees with G'ruk. "Although it can't hurt for you to give us the directions on how to find the lake again. I'm sure we'd all prefer if we avoided any potential conflicts with your kinsmen."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads