[Poll] What unusual PC races has your group played ?

Unusual Races played by your Group:

• Orc

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • Goblin

Votes: 45 18.1%
  • Kobold

Votes: 54 21.7%
  • Gnoll/Hobgoblin/Bugbear/Lizardman

Votes: 80 32.1%
  • Minotaur or Ogre

Votes: 93 37.3%
  • Drow

Votes: 89 35.7%
  • Aasimar/Thiefling/FR Elemental types

Votes: 140 56.2%
  • Half Celestial / Fiend

Votes: 75 30.1%
  • Lycanthrope

Votes: 61 24.5%
  • Never had unusual races / DM didnt allow

Votes: 31 12.4%

redwing

First Post
Two questions about unique races.

1. Are the names kobold and bugbear from mythology(or other ancient sources) or were they made up by authors (Tolkien) or AD&D itself?

2. Im making a list of monsters to include in my campaign. Is the Thri Kreen worth putting in there? (I don't have time to describe the setting. (the setting won't affect the decision - just the creature itself). What do you think. Can you list some pros and cons. Personally im not big into bugs. What are your opinions.

Aloïsius

First Post
redwing said:
Two questions about unique races.

1. Are the names kobold and bugbear from mythology(or other ancient sources) or were they made up by authors (Tolkien) or AD&D itself?

2. Im making a list of monsters to include in my campaign. Is the Thri Kreen worth putting in there? (I don't have time to describe the setting. (the setting won't affect the decision - just the creature itself). What do you think. Can you list some pros and cons. Personally im not big into bugs. What are your opinions.

1. Kobold were mine spirit in Scandinavia. In fact, the Cobalt ore and the Kobold have the same etymology.
Bugbear are translated by my dictionnarie into croquemitaine : as dictionnarie writters doesn't translate D&D or Tolkien vocabulary, it must be an old word.

2. Thri Kreen are great. I used them in my homebrew world as mercenaries and elite guards in some cities. They are employed not only for their capacity, but for their look. Highly dissuasive for rogues and other pick pocket. I play them somewhat like IA in Sci-Fi settings : cold, rational, efficient and alien.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Missing an other option.

I'm playing a fairy right now in of all things, and FR game.

In my last game a player had a Kobold.

I'd like to try out a half-hobgoblin or a Rokugan Naga at some point.

Altalazar

First Post
Gnoll Druid - he's already been chased out of one town as a 'beast' and blamed for a grisly murder. Blamed because he and his dwarf buddy roughed the guy up - did it as a favor for someone else, an NPC. Of course, later the man was found brutally murdered, and the 'beast' was a rather obvious suspect. (The situation that led to the roughing up is complicated but lets just say that they sort of brought it on themselves).

Level + 1 - with an extra hit die. Started at 1st level, so he sort of stayed first level until everyone hit 3rd level, when he became 2nd level. My way of dealing with that if you start a campaign at first level.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
One of my players wanted to play a gnome/were-rhino once. I said I'd allow it - in the (theoretical) game where that other player wanted to play a silver dragon... :p

That list is so limiting!!

Our home-brewed campaign replaced halflings with Scottish Highland badgers.

We also have a "dragonblood" human paladin in the group.

Of course, we could play kobolds if we so desired.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases