[Poll] What unusual PC races has your group played ?

Unusual Races played by your Group:

• Orc

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • Goblin

Votes: 45 18.1%
  • Kobold

Votes: 54 21.7%
  • Gnoll/Hobgoblin/Bugbear/Lizardman

Votes: 80 32.1%
  • Minotaur or Ogre

Votes: 93 37.3%
  • Drow

Votes: 89 35.7%
  • Aasimar/Thiefling/FR Elemental types

Votes: 140 56.2%
  • Half Celestial / Fiend

Votes: 75 30.1%
  • Lycanthrope

Votes: 61 24.5%
  • Never had unusual races / DM didnt allow

Votes: 31 12.4%

I have had two unusual characters.

First was a Tiefling Wild Mage who made it to about 12th level before I stopped playing for a while.

The second was a much older 1E character. He was an orgillion cleric mage. He was about 3rd level in each before dying from a caved in skull from either a ogre or hillgiant. I don't remember which.

fsck

First Post
Most recently, I played a Hybsil in an online Forgotten Realms campaign.

Hybsil (pronounced Hibb-sill) in the FR are small-sized half-antelope creatures with the torso of a human. They have insane speed for their size (40'), natural armor, and some interesting fey-related spell-like abilities.

I tend to think of them as tiny centaurs on crack, and I certainly played my Hybsil (named "Swift Hoof") as such. I made him a druid, after reading about the Hybsil arch-druid in the area north of Silverymoon.

Fenes

First Post
Hattersai said:
I had a werebear in one of my games. I have a weakness for Ranma .5 and this player knew it. When he wanted to change characters I couldn't say no to a werepander cursed to change when he got wet. Those were some good times.

My very first AD&D PC, a male swashbuckling 2E Bard, fell into the Spring of drowned girl at level 5. A blasted Orc hit him with a natural 20 when the party crossed Jusenkyo, and in the spring he went, no matter his dex... at least he stayed human - the knight became a temporary gnome, the thief a kobold, and the ranger a small little black pig. Of all those PCs, only my bard was kept for long, and managed to finish the campaign at level 16. Still my all-time favourite PC, I am thinking of restarting him in 3E as a bard-duelist or rogue.

In my curent campaign I am playing a human sorceress who is slowly and involuntarily changing into a genie-type (due to a home-brew prestige class), with similar stats to a Fire Genasi.

Carnifex

First Post
Kesh said:

Regarding the topic, I haven't been in a game where it's happened yet. But I want to play a gnoll!

I have a gnoll character - Storm Eagle, a ranger/psion (egoist). He has yet to see a game yet, though he's been prepared for a Spelljammer game that a friend is proposing to run at some point.

He may also turn up at some point as an NPC in the campaign I'm currently running (see story hour link in sig ;) ).

Psionicist

Explorer
I've played a whole lot of weird races, including Githzerai, Svirfneblin, Drow (and Half-Drow), Half-Celestial... Heh, that was kinda few. But I will play god later :D

Rashak Mani

First Post
I personally think Kobolds are the best sorcerors... never played one but am crazy to do so...

+1 natural Armor
30 move (leave them halflings behind)
Same hide and size bonuses as halflings...

Goblyn

Explorer
Dispater said:
I DM a group with the unusal combination of a minotaur and a fremlin.

Don't tell me you don't know what a fremlin is.

I had a 2e group with tha mix in it. I played the fremlin and we threaded up the mintaur's horns like a throne and he proclaimed himself king of all faerie kind and anyone who disagreed was told to speak with his chair.

As an odd bit of trivia: because of the way we interpreted flavour text, both fremln and minotaur were always naked.

All I've to say for myself is: it was high school.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases