Power Source

Greatest source of power

JoeGKushner

First Post
Okay, what is the great augmentation a player can have over his world? Is it high game stats? Is it more levels? Is it a ton of magic items? Is it only a combination of all three? Is it something else?

I ask because I've seen a few posts that indicate that a character with similiar stats to standard characters can outstrip them in levels and I've seen some where people feel that statistics are the way to even more power as they open up great opportunities like higher level spells.

Treebore

First Post
The most fundamental key to "being powerful" would be your stats. Magic items can make anyone powerful, just depends on who is wearing them. your stats and the savy of the player behind the character are the most important factors, IMO.

Sejs

First Post
Creativity. Numbers and modifiers are a nice buffer, sure, but nothing beats being able to think your way around a situation, thru and thru.

dren

First Post
Situational.

In different campaigns it is completely variable. You may have a religion-heavy world whereby a character can have a jihad called, so thousands of believers help you in your cause.

In some campaigns, your power level is dependent upon what you can actually carry; your magic items can literally shake the world to it's foundations.

In games where power levels are fixed, there may be very few high level NPC characters, so once you are at 17+ levels or EPIC levels, you influence everything and everyone around you.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Intelligence and creativity are wonderful assets but in a stand-up fight, I'll take a +5 dancing vorpal greatsword.

Magic items and levels are exceptionally important.

Wombat

First Post
Depends entirely on the character, the player, the campaign setting, the GM, and a host of other factors.

I've seen many D&D games that live and die by the toys the players get, but very few that rely on stats. I've seen a lot that rely on wizards and sorcerers "softening things up" with long-range magic duels before the toe-to-toe types go in, sometimes supported by archery. I've seen games that rely almost entirely on social skills.

In my own campaigns, it is a matter of many factors, including "public perception" of the character -- a loved, or at least liked, character can do (and get away with) more things than one who has shunned or snubbed others; Lone Wolves rarely survive long.

Kalendraf

Explorer
I voted magic items, but would have liked to see a choice of Levels + Magic Items, as I think that's really where powerful characters derive their maximum ability. Stats are largely secondary, since items and/or levels can largely overcome those. On the other hand, levels alone can't handle everything, but nor can magic items. Thus it's combination of those two, with a slight edge, IMHO, going to the magic items.

fafhrd

First Post
I can't help but think that "all three" must be the logical conclusion, unless said items are cursed/or ability scores are in the penalty range.

The real question should be, do you use your powers for good or for awesome?

Remove ads