DaH Map: Help me with cartography

GralTok

First Post
This is where I am so far (real map is around twice the size). I'm working on a post nuclear world (fallout style). My problem is with doing the mountain and making them look real. well not missplace. I use photoshop by the way. This is kinda like it's the only part of europe that survived the raise of water or what's not... And ocean is too dangerous no more technology and harsh weather.

DaH_map.jpg

Last edited:

James Heard

Explorer
You want your mountains to look real? Real as in how? Contour maps are probably available to guide you, and in contour mapping gradients (even if they aren't exactly standard gradients) are your friends.

If you're just looking for 'real mountain looking icons' then make them in a separate layer and then just select cut n' paste them around like you would if you were using something like CC2, top down and staggered. If I can remember which maps might still have some of mine, I might even grab some up and post them to the cartography thread with the rest of them.

Just a note though, with the stylistic trend of your map I'm not sure if I would bother with putting mountains on there at all. Rivers certainly, but mountains are just going to look weird I think with all that red and they're going to compete with that because they're generally some warm tone. I might just indicate them by font and writing along the spines in a clearly different manner where they are. In any case it's not as if people don't know where mountains are in Europe. I'd say just stick with the cities and roads and rivers, everything else looks like it might look out of place on the tone of your map.

GralTok

First Post
Ok what I menat was more geographically correct ... that doesn't look like an out of place mountain or something like that... or a good way to make one so far I had tried this... but I don't feel like its the best way to do it.

Oh I may be dumb or just slow tonight but Contour maps and contour mapping gradient... What's those thingy???

(I used a real europe map to shape the land area.) Oh and the red water is not settled (still need to decide if teh radiation and the acide in the water make it red, green, brown ... well you see what I mean I got 4 different color worked so far)

DaH_map2.jpg

Last edited:

GralTok

First Post
Here are the rivers, I used the map of europe to make most of the europeen river and made some more and added a lake or two here and there.

DaH_map3.jpg

Targeteron

Explorer
I cant help you with your mountain problem, but just wanted to say that i really like the style of the map. Can´t wait for the final version *g*

GralTok

First Post
Here a test with THE GIMP. thanks for Hal because he made me remember I wanted to try this program. :)

Big Image

Attachments

• DaH gimp test.jpg
    DaH gimp test.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 103

Conaill

First Post
GralTok said:
Here are the rivers, I used the map of europe to make most of the europeen river and made some more and added a lake or two here and there.
Be careful how and where you add in more rivers! In particular, the way rivers follows the straightest path downhill, it's highly unlikely that you might get a situation where you can essentially travel in a circle by following natural waterways (with the exception of deltas and marshes etc, where you'd essentially just be sailing around islands). It seems like you've got a whole bunch of cases around the two central european lakes where you get those circular paths.

Corollaries of the above rule of thumb: (1) lakes will rarely have more than one outflow to the sea, (2) rivers rarely split in two and then join back together (in fact even stronger: rivers rarely split in two - full stop!)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases