7 easy steps?

Driddle

First Post
I'm seeking a seven-step approach to starting a campaign. Anybody here know of one? It has to be something with which Eric himself would be OK.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I don't know of one online, but I can write you one really simply. Do you want the whole "decide the genre, work with the players on concepts, plan the local, plan the global, etc." steps?

Sounds like the Dungeoncraft methodology from Ray Winninger. Not that he has 7-steps, but he does use a step-by-step methodology, at least.

ErikSalaan

First Post
James' Quick & Easy 7 Step List

1. Find people that wish to play, make sure that they can all show up at/around the same time.
2. Create X amount of NPCs, alternating good, then bad, then someone in between.
3. Create 3 or 4 countries, and make sure there is a bit of everything geographically. Steal a map from somewhere if you have little time.
4. Give all the bad guys power. Evil minions, trap-filled dungeons to hide things, rituals to summon world ending baddies, whatever you think they can use. Then give good guys a lot less personal power, but more political power.
5. Have all NPCs oppose each other in the world, but they 'balance' each other out.
6. Create adventure hooks that the party can use to upset this world balance. Give party ample room and power to screw up anyone they feel like.
7. Start the game, preferably by creating a small town that the party can do mini-adventures and hear rumors of various NPCs.

At this point, every week you add more to the game in your off-time. If the party is exploring, add more cities, towns, ruins, and dungeons to your map with a short write up. If the party is going hacking, get a dungeon together. Just keep ahead of the party by asking what they plan on doing from week to week. The game will build itself. ;)

RFisher

Explorer
Driddle said:
I'm seeking a seven-step approach to starting a campaign. Anybody here know of one?

I can try to document what I'm trying to do...

(1) Create a home base. A town, a village, or a city. Place those kinds of places you know the PCs will need to visit. Place some additional places of interest. Create some interesting townsfolk. Create some interesting placed & wandering encounters.

(2) Create some interesting placed & wandering wilderness encounters.

(3) Create four or five or however many you want dungeons/adventuring locales.

(4) Write a player guide. Write a one paragraph player introduction. Write a one sentence description.

(5) Get the players together.

(6) Roll up characters.

(7) Be prepared to improvise.

TracerBullet42

First Post
Driddle said:
I'd like to use the Moonshaes as an example. You know, right from the start.

The Moonshaes, eh? I hear that there's a kobold (reincarnated halfling) Master Chef running around those parts...

Have fun!

Patman21967

First Post
look at our thread about Undead Topless.....I mean topples civilization....we are fleshing it out pretty well, and you might get some ideas

Remove ads