Heroes of Darmon OOC

Creamsteak

Explorer
Jarval said:
I'm fairly keen. It certainly does a much better job of representing how I see a typical follower of Darmon than the standard cleric. The only potential problem I see is the lack of spontaneous cure wounds spells, which might prove a problem unless we've got a cleric of Morwyn in the group.

There's a variant class in UA that's quite similar to your variant called the cloistered cleric, but I think your version works for a wider range of potential deities. There are some notes about spontaneous domain casting as well IIRC, including the potential issues arising from lack of healing. If you don't own UA (and if you're interested, of course :)), I could type some of it up and e-mail it to you or post it here.
I "might" have this in my OGC folder on my university files. I'll check. Easier than you having to type it up.

I'll be sure to ask for help where I need it (thinking mounted hero-traveler-warrior-patron character that I've had on my mind recently).

Jarval

Explorer
Creamsteak said:
I "might" have this in my OGC folder on my university files. I'll check. Easier than you having to type it up.
Thanks CS, that'll save me some work :)

Creamsteak said:
I'll be sure to ask for help where I need it (thinking mounted hero-traveler-warrior-patron character that I've had on my mind recently).
Hmm, by the sounds of things, Darmon's the god for your character then :) If you go with Holy Warrior for class, taking the Travel and Champion domains, you should have your concept about covered.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I think this is mostly right. The only thing I had to change when I copied it from the book when I made my house-rules folder was to omit the bit about the gods presented in the Player's Handbook.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I havn't been accepted, but I still have some questions for the purposes of character design:

I assume holy warrior is non-proficient in the tower shield. Correct me if I'm wrong there though. I assume this since it's Paladin derived. Also, can someone give me the full descriptions for the following domains (with respect to the Holy Warrior):

Champion
Compassion
Emotion
Freedom
Guardian
Justice
Leadership
Might
Travel

Edit: I also have to ask the DM, if I'm accepted into this game, can I use some form of alternate means for "switching mounts?" What I mean is, instead of actually buying a light warhorse when I've raised the funds, can I simply upgrade my existing mount for role-playing purposes approximately when I reach 2nd or 3rd level? And do something similar about a mount at 5th level.

Last edited:

GPEKO

First Post
Welcome aboard, Creamsteak, you're our 6th player, so I'll close recruitement.
Creamsteak said:
I assume holy warrior is non-proficient in the tower shield.
Correct. The holy warrior also has the starting money of a paladin. I should had this to my 3.5 conversion ....
Creamsteak said:
Also, can someone give me the full descriptions for the following domains (with respect to the Holy Warrior): [snip lots of domains]
I might have the time to help you with some of this tonight, but right now I don't have the book with me. Just so you know, Darmon's holy warriors have only access to the Champion, Mind and Travel domains. I would also allow the Freedom domain. That being said, a holy warrior of another god than Darmon could also be fine for this campaign. Do you need the domains per god table too ?
Creamsteak said:
Edit: I also have to ask the DM, if I'm accepted into this game, can I use some form of alternate means for "switching mounts?" What I mean is, instead of actually buying a light warhorse when I've raised the funds, can I simply upgrade my existing mount for role-playing purposes approximately when I reach 2nd or 3rd level? And do something similar about a mount at 5th level.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You normally only get your special mount at 5th level. This mount is a special 'gift' from your god, and you don't have to pay for it (and, by the way, I'm not using the 'pokemount' of the 3.5 paladin, i.e. you don't summon it every day.). So, yes, the only way to 'upgrade' your mount before that is to buy or receive a new one. That being said, if your character is really centered around his mount, I guess we could work something out to allow your character to gain his special mount before 5th level (around 3rd maybe). It could be a feat or you could lose some other special abilities or receive them later, something like that.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Yeah, you didn't understand what I mean. I'll try again.

My character is going to buy a light horse with his 1st level starting gold. I would like to switch this to a light warhorse when I would have enough money. Rather than buying a light warhorse and selling my light horse, I'd like to simply pay the gold and keep my mount (because it's going to have a name, and my character is going to be attached to it). If I do go the holy warrior route (I'm still uncertain on this), I'd like to do something similar at 5th level (instead of "calling a new mount," I upgrade the existing one to the stats of the new mount).

GPEKO

First Post
Ok, I get it, sorry about that. You want 'Bob the friendly farm horse', your childhood friend :p, to become a warhorse during play. It could certainly happen but it would have to make some sense. It could either be explained by some 'downtime' to train the horse or by some ritual to make the horse stronger. We'll see the details in game. As for the upgrade at level 5, I see no problem with that.

As for the cloistered cleric, thanks for providing it. I don't own UA but I read some bits of it once. What I could remember of it was the the base for my variant. Medium BAB and d6 for hit dices puts the cleric fighting ability on par with the rogue and the bard and this seems about right to me. My variant does seems a bit weak compared to the druid, however. But, then again, I think the 3.5 druid is a bit overpowered.

Alright, see you all in 5 days. I hope most characters will be finished or close to it when I come back.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Grah... I might be changing my character up. I've got this idea for a slightly "different" sort of wizard that would probably both fit in better in this game and also augment the groups current characters better.

Remove ads