Old bones...

Scharlata

First Post
Hi all!

Is there anybody out there that has tried playing the bone creature template from the BoVD (page 184) and could give me his/her advice on the caveats/drawbacks of that template?

I'd like to throw some "intelligent" undead against my players. They have to be skeleton-like. At least one skeleton wizard is among the more or less "fighter" types. Should I keep the "old bones" (skeleton template from MM 3.5) and give'em a spark of INT (say, 3) and make the wizard a "special" undead. I'll have to throw the undead against a group of 6 PC (level 5).

Wouldn't it be better to give the bone creature the Combat Reflexes feat (under 3.5) instead of the Weapon Finesse feat (3.0)?

FAQ said: Challenge Rating: Same as base creature +1. Would that be correct or too much?

P.S.: Someone tried the Athasian Zombie of DUNGEON #110, page 50? Is the "plague" to hard for 5th level PCs?

Thanx so much. :)

Kind regards

Last edited:

sledged

First Post
If you have access to the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, there's a skeletal warrior that has (I think) human intelligence.

Scharlata

First Post
Hi!

May I bother you with my ponderings whether it may be good to appoint the Bone Creature a Damage Reduction of 5/bludgeoning [3.5] instead of the "takes half damage from piercing and slashing weapons" [3.0]. Should it be 10/bludgeoning? Challenge Rating +1 still at work.

Kind regards

sledged

First Post
Scharlata said:
May I bother you with my ponderings whether it may be good to appoint the Bone Creature a Damage Reduction of 5/bludgeoning [3.5] instead of the "takes half damage from piercing and slashing weapons" [3.0].
That sounds like the better way to go.

Scharlata said:
Should it be 10/bludgeoning? Challenge Rating +1 still at work.
I think 5/bludgeoning is the standard for skeletal creatures. but if you feel like making them just a bit tougher, there's nothing wrong with boosting the DR. I don't think it's enough to warrent a change in the CR.

joelmarcus

First Post
try utilizing the creatures from the Ravenloft "Denziens of Dread"there is a SIGNIFIGANT amount of creatures that are referenced that are intelligent. It also has a good amount of critters such as golems and constructs that are nasty and will give PC's nightmares in future campeigns. (BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!)

Scharlata

First Post
joelmarcus said:
[...]Ravenloft "Denziens of Dread" [...]

Thanx alot.

Don't own that, but I've decided to give the Bone Creature a try, since it is a template it may work well :] on a minotaur base creature.

I've noticed that you may construct a devious human skeleton variation "packed with feats" using a 2nd level fighter base creature.

joelmarcus said:
(BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!)

King Arthur's Villein said:
But I'm not dead, yet!

Kind regards

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases