Multiclass my rogue?

calypso15

Explorer
Hi! I need some advice for my character. Some quick background:

Tiefling, Level 6 Rogue. High Dex, Int, Cha. Low Str, Con, Wis. And, my feats so far are... Improved Init, Blindfight, and Weapon Finesse (Rapier).

So, I'm advancing to level 7, and I need advice on whether I should stick with Rogue for all 20 levels, or if maybe a couple levels of something else. I was considering taking a couple levels in Fighter, as I could use the HP (I have 26), and the two bonus feats would let me get Expertise and Chink in the Armor. However, taking two levels in Fighter would mean I would miss out on 1d6 of sneak damage (oh well), and 1 rogue special ability (which are really good).

So... advice? Thanks!
Calypso

Thanee

First Post
If you fight a lot, some levels (2-4) of Fighter are not a bad idea. :)

Fighter/Rogues can be quite potent combatants.

Bye
Thanee

Abraxas

Explorer
I'm partial to rogue/barbarian builds especially if hit points are a problem. The extra movement helps your tumbling out also.

sledged

First Post
Thanee said:
If you fight a lot, some levels (2-4) of Fighter are not a bad idea. :)

Fighter/Rogues can be quite potent combatants.
To add to this, if you have access to Races of Faerun, I personally recommend the Low Blow and Improved Low Blow feats. Low Blow, as a full attack action, allows you to step into an opponents square at least one size bigger than you and attack him flatfooted. The movement triggers an AoO, but Improved Low Blow removes this. Since you're a medium creature, pay for someone to cast Reduce Person and Permanency on you (-2 Str and +2 Dex).

calypso15

Explorer
sledged said:
To add to this, if you have access to Races of Faerun, I personally recommend the Low Blow and Improved Low Blow feats. Low Blow, as a full attack action, allows you to step into an opponents square at least one size bigger than you and attack him flatfooted. The movement triggers an AoO, but Improved Low Blow removes this. Since you're a medium creature, pay for someone to cast Reduce Person and Permanency on you (-2 Str and +2 Dex).

Wow... if I had known about that from the start, I would do it. But I think it might be too late. I would need to get Dodge, Mobility, Low Blow, and Improved Low Blow. Lets see... two levels of fighter, and a feat at 9 and 12... I could pull it off by level 12. Hmm... interesting. Thanks for the idea!

Calypso

sledged

First Post
calypso15 said:
Wow... if I had known about that from the start, I would do it. But I think it might be too late. I would need to get Dodge, Mobility, Low Blow, and Improved Low Blow. Lets see... two levels of fighter, and a feat at 9 and 12... I could pull it off by level 12. Hmm... interesting. Thanks for the idea!
More often than not, the coolest feats (IMO) have Dodge and Mobility as prerequisites. It's become a pitfall for me when I make high dex PCs/NPCs to give them those two feats.

Majere

First Post
Depends what you want your rogue to do.
If he is the only rogue in the party you should be aware that cross classing will hurt your open locks, search, and disable device. ~In the end failing the disable device by 1 has as good a chance of killing you as not having the 4 hp (on average) that you would get from two levels of fighter.

If other people tend to do these jobs, or your campeign is all outdoors and not trap intensive, then it depends on your character concept.
For a fighting rogue, I would possibly suggest a level of sorcerer with shield and true strike, followed by fighter levels where you take bow feats. Your hp are far to low for you to seriously consider melee combat too much, but with a want of improved invis and a decent bow you are away, you should already have the high dex and str to make a solid archer with a +1 aciding (mighty [+4])Longbow, and you arent wating your sneak attack damage.

If you do decide to go a mroe melee route (not a wise decision with low hp), take a level in rogue for opportunist and then fighter up the line for the feats.

Another possibility, it to take levels in mage and then in arcane trickster.

Its very hard to give concreate advice without knowing a little more about what you want from the character and your group/campeign.

Majere

Vrecknidj

Explorer
You said you thought about a level of fighter to get two feats. Two feats?

If you're playing in 3.0, consider taking a level of ranger. You won't get high enough level in the class for your Wis and Cha scores to negatively affect you, the skills are okay, and you get a bunch of good combat stuff for a lightly-armored, weapon-finesse-based character. And, since you're a tiefling, if there are lots of humans to fight, you can take them as your favored enemy.

Maybe, take fighter and ranger, if tracking things and hacking them up is important, then a rogue/fighter/ranger is hard to beat. What the heck, if you are playing 3.0, take a level of barbarian too. Heck, you won't have to take any more rogue levels for three more levels.

Dave

calypso15

Explorer
Majere said:
Its very hard to give concreate advice without knowing a little more about what you want from the character and your group/campeign.

Yeah, sorry, forgot to discuss that. I'm not the only rogue of the party, there is a gnome illusionist with equal open locks and disable devices. I'm the face-man though. Highest Cha, lots of diplomacy and gather information. When it comes to combat, right now I tend to start out with my crossbow, then tumble in to attack with my rapier for sneak damage, then run away. Rinse, repeat. I'm actually pretty ineffective at combat. Most of the stuff we fight can easily kill me in one round, so I'm afraid to flank them, because if they decide to turn around and smack me, it's game over man.

I do have a bracer of archery, so I'm looking for a decent longbow, and I'll just become a sniper.

Calypso

durin

First Post
calypso15 said:
Most of the stuff we fight can easily kill me in one round, so I'm afraid to flank them, because if they decide to turn around and smack me, it's game over man.

Sounds like you need not to be hit. :heh:

I would suggest some levels in Duelist or Shadowdancer.

Duelists are able to add their intelligence bonus to their armor class and have a charismatic theme. The tumble/rapier theme and your front-man role seem to fit well here. Especially if you can make use of taunting your opponents.

The 3.0 Duelist is in Sword and Fist and gets the Int Bonus up-front. The 3.5 Duelist is in the DMG and gets the Int Bonus equal to his/her Duelist level. (The revision was made to negate power gamers from taking only one level of Duelist.)

Shadowdancers can hide in plain sight. As long as their are shadows near by, you can tumble in hidden and get your sneak attack. Then you tumble out, hide in plain sight, and repeat. This works best with Spring Attack, but also works without it. The class doesn't fit your role nearly as well though.

Unfortuantely, both PrCs require Dodge and Mobility. Plus, as I mentioned, Spring Attack is highly useful for both.

Durin

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases