Travelling in Eberron

erian_7

First Post
Using the Kildaere d'Sivis PDF map*, I thought it'd be interesting to make a list of prices when traveling by rail in Eberron, so I started estimating distances, then applying the 5 sp/mile cost, and came up with a table for someone travelling from one end of Eberron (well, Sharn) to the other (Krona Peak in the Mror Holds). The total trip is not possible by lightning rail, so I threw in other transport options as necessary.

If one takes the northern route (through Aundair and Thrane), a ferry is needed to cross Scions Sound (placed that at 50 miles, 25 gp), then a caravan from Vedykar to Vulyar (250 miles, 25 gp). With a total lightning rail mileage of 3,496, the rail charges were 1,748 gp. So a round trip would cost 1,798 gp. For total trip time (30 miles/hour by rail, 20 miles/hour by ferry, and 15 miles/day by caravan) it'd be about 21.5 days (with 16.5 of those coming from the caravan trip!). Looks like finding a faster route between Vedykar and Vulyar is pretty important...

Taking a more direct route (rail to Vathirond, airship over the Mournland to Gatherhold). The rail mileage is 2,464 (1,232 gp), with a roughly 600 mile airship trip (600 gp), for a total of 1,832 gp. Total trip time (30 miles/hour by rail, 20 miles/hour by airship) it'd be about 4.5 days.

So either way it'll cost around 1,800 gp to travel the "civilized" continent(obviously still some routes/travel types to explore--by sea for instance, or airship straight across). Looks like PCs will need a lot of free cash (or a patron) to do any major travels (at least until the Wiz picks up teleport...) but they can zip all over the place in under a week!

*Anybody with more exact distance measurements want to share? :D

Eric

Last edited:

KB9JMQ

First Post
Hey thanks for doing some starting legwork. ;)
I was just wondering about cost of travel yesterday while reading the book because it seems in Eberron that you can use a lot more travelling around than in some other settings.

erian_7

First Post
KB9JMQ said:
Hey thanks for doing some starting legwork. ;)
I was just wondering about cost of travel yesterday while reading the book because it seems in Eberron that you can use a lot more travelling around than in some other settings.

no problem. Once I've got the distance between each city/location, I can calculate the cost for travel by different methods. I'mm working it all up in a spreadsheet and can pot it if folks have a continued interest. What really stuck out for me was the high cost, but also quick travel times. Makes for a game with a powerful patron/sponsor to foot that bill as an investment in the character's efforts. Could also be interesting if PCs somehow end up as privateers on an airship. "Ferrying" folks over the Mournland loos like a lucrative business (but probably dangerous--who knows what will fly up out of the mist and attack...).

BlackMoria

First Post
A number of people on the Eberron boards at WOTC have done similar calculations and come up with similar results. Seems like only the very rich can afford to use the lightning rail based on people's calculations.

Even Keith Baker commented that the cost of passage on the lightning rail may be too much at 5 sp a mile in one thread.

My solution in my campaign - the lightning rail is 1 sp per mile. That reduces the cost by 80% but not so much that 'joe dead average worker' will be a primary user of the lightning rail, but more affordable for players and affluent NPCs alike.

Last edited:

erian_7

First Post
BlackMoria said:
A number of people on the Eberron boards at WOTC have done similar calculations and come up with similar results. Seems like only the very rich can afford to use the lightning rail based on people's calculations.

Even Keith Baker commented that the cost of passage on the lightning rail may be too much at 5 sp a mile in one thread.

My solution in my campaign - the lightning rail is 1 sp per mile. That reduces the cost by 80% but not so much that 'joe dead average worker' will be a user of the lightning rail, but more affordable for players and NPCs alike.

Hmm, I'll think, on that. I actually don't mind the cost right now, as it means the PCs will need some outside help to get around (offers some good roleplaying hooks/plots). And of course, the larger organizations might have discounts for travel (buy a "yearly pass" for X, or some such) since they can guarantee a lot of business for the rail.

BlackMoria

First Post
Understandable.

My decision was a exercise in logic. There was discussion on the Eberron boards about the earning potential of population and it was something like 1% of the population could afford to use the lightning rail on a 'cash for passage' on any sort of regular basis. Given the cost of constructing the lightning rail lines (the cost is the principle reason why some of the destroyed lines have not been repaired two years after the war), it didn't make sense to me that the line would be built to service a population base of 1% of the population.

Which is why I reduced the fare. It makes more sense to me to collect 200gp for a trip that normally would cost 1000gp from a number of people to whom 200gp is not a barrier, as opposed to a select few who can afford the 1000 gp price tag.

Of course, plots and hooks having the players 'work' their passage off are completely viable. I only mentioned that a number of people on the discussion boards have done calcuations and find the lightning rail is very expensive given the demographics.

Perhaps 5 sp. is for the "luxury" cars, with some modicum of comfort. For 1 sp., you're packed into a car like sardines, with no amenities and little more than wooden pews on which to sit.

Just a thought. In my campaign, I've been describing the interior of the train very much like the old-style international trains of the noir films--comfortable chairs, valets, dining and gambling rooms... But I can certainly see the presence of less appealing accomodations for the poorer folk.

erian_7

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Perhaps 5 sp. is for the "luxury" cars, with some modicum of comfort. For 1 sp., you're packed into a car like sardines, with no amenities and little more than wooden pews on which to sit.

That's a good idea/compromise. Blackmoria, I see the point on economies of scale and such.

Mouseferatu said:
Just a thought. In my campaign, I've been describing the interior of the train very much like the old-style international trains of the noir films--comfortable chairs, valets, dining and gambling rooms... But I can certainly see the presence of less appealing accomodations for the poorer folk.

That's pretty much how I see them as well. I've actually gots some old train car diagrams I'll be using for layouts/maps. So far I've got a dining car, a standard car, a sleeper, and a private car.

erian_7 said:
That's pretty much how I see them as well. I've actually gots some old train car diagrams I'll be using for layouts/maps. So far I've got a dining car, a standard car, a sleeper, and a private car.
I don't suppose you could let us know where you tracked those down?
:)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases