Do Constructs Heal Naturally?

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Here is the issue,

Druids can create a Homonculous type of creature called a Bogun and I believe they made their first debut in Masters of the Wild. Even though it is made of plant matter they are in fact constructs. That got me wondering, how would a Druid heal his/her Bogun if it was damaged in some way? I don't believe constructs heal naturally and I don't believe Cure ______ Wounds really has any effect on Constructs since they aren't "alive".

Last edited:

UltimaGabe

First Post
No, Constructs don't heal naturally, nor are they affected by Cure X Wounds spells. There's a few spells in Tome & Blood, as well as several more recent books, that can heal Constructs, but I don't think any of them are Druid spells.

Come to think of it, that kinda sucks for Druids. Oh well.

Knight Otu

First Post
UltimaGabe is correct, but the Craft Construct feat can also help. Here are the relevant quotes from the SRD:

Cannot heal damage on their own, but often can be repaired by exposing them to a certain kind of effect (see the creature’s description for details) or through the use of the Craft Construct feat. A construct with the fast healing special quality still benefits from that quality.
CRAFT CONSTRUCT [ITEM CREATION]
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Item.
Benefit: A creature with this feat can create any construct whose prerequisites it meets. Enchanting a construct takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its market price. To enchant a construct, a spellcaster must spend 1/25 the item’s price in XP and use up raw materials costing half of this price (see individual construct monster entries for details).
A creature with this feat can repair constructs that have taken damage. In one day of work, the creature can repair up to 20 points of damage by expending 50 gp per point of damage repaired.
A newly created construct has average hit points for its Hit Dice.

Last edited:

Sejs

First Post
It sucks for more reasons that just that.

Get this, according to CD, to actually create a boggun... your little 2hd house-helper pal that you take 2d10 damage if it gets killed... requires: an uninterrupted week's worth of crafting, 7th level, the Craft Wonderous Item feat, Wood Shape, Beget Bogun, and Control Plants. That's right - the 8th level spell, Control Plants.

So you have to be a 15th level druid before you can get any use out of your 1st level spell. You have to be a 15th level druid before you can create a rinky-dink 2hd construct that's really only useful to wash the dishes.

I'm sorry, but that's pretty @$%^ing retarded if you ask me.

Knight Otu

First Post
I think we can add that to the ever-growing list of mistakes in Complete Divine. Control Plants was called Command Plants in 3.0. There was also a Control Plants, which was renamed into Command Plants, which is a 4th level spell.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
It's pretty obvious that the WOTC geniuses never actually tested out the Bogun in actual gameplay otherwise they'd see that it was stupid to require a 8th level spell in the mix. What 15th level druid would waste his time on a stupid little helper like that when he's got a 15HD Animal Companion running around with him? Let's see... which ally should I send up against the BBEG that I am facing at 15th level? The 2HD Bogun or my Tyrannosaurus Rex? HMMM... Let me think about that. :)

Knight Otu

First Post
As I said above, it is more likely to be the case of a sloppy update. Control Plants was a (different) 4th level spell in 3.0.

That said, I never quite understood the reasoning behind the beget bogun spell. There is no such spell for other kinds of construct, after all.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Even requiring a 4th level spell is a bit ridiculous, IMO. Having certain spells *oin your class list*, and the Craft Construct feat, would make more sense as prerequisites IMO. And IMC, such is how it shall be.

Remove ads