Campaign setting dilema.

Campaign setting dilema. Read post first.

• Ilyameitr arrives, makes war, and frees race two from slavery

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Ilyameitr break off from race one after enslaving race two. Time passes race two are freed and Illya

Votes: 9 50.0%

Ferret

Explorer
I my upcoming campaign setting their are three definate races. One of the races was/is enslaved by another, but I don't want the other race (Ilyameitr) interacting with them. They aren't so morally ambiguous, and would stop, or try too stop, the enslavement. So I have some options.

Scenario 1) Ilyameitr are on the same contenent as The first, and lived with them in harmony since forever. They didn't know when the military conquered The Servants, but this doesn't give much time for them to have been enslaved, I would like at least a few generations, so they are 'domesticated' before becoming more servents then slaves.

Also their could have been a civil war, when the enslavement begins, resulting in the Ilyameitr leaving The First's cities and progressing on their own (this would allow the gap in technology I had planned) and return, in small numbers, when better treatment is given to The Servants

Scenario 2) The Ilyameitr live in a very remote region, or more then likely on a different contient, when they travel over to the First they find this and make war on The First, a few years later a truce is made, where the Servants are given better treatment but most stay on as servants, like how the romans treated their slaves, paid and fairly treated but still property of the owner.

The main problem is unless it was a mass-migration most of the Ilyameitr will still be on their own continent meaning that very few people could play them, and as such it would seem wrong when they do. But this way their is all the time in the world for the domestic and the wild of race two can be seperated.

So I'm stuck between two different ideas. Can I get some help?

To summerise: I know basicly how I want present day to be,

The First have Servants that they had previously enslaved, the Servants are not just second class citizens but a different race. The Ilyameitr are at peace with them all, none are evil. If they could not 'win' a war against the first they would leave.

At the time the Ilyameitr disliked the enslavement and made war on the First or left, they would not have sat there and be involved in the enslavment.

Last edited:

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
OK, so I'm just confused. The Ilyameitr are a separate race from both the slavers and the enslaved, right? Is it the enslaved race that has "wild" (i.e. free) members and Domesticated (enslaved) members? And you need a way to keep the Ilyameitr, who would be opposed to anyone enslaving others, from knowing about the enslavement of race 2 so that it is plausible they allowed this to happen?

I see two choices for it: the Ilyameitr are removed from the region of the two races like you have in scenario 2. The mass migration could be the result of some cataclysmic event in their homeland that forced them to move on. The other option, rather than them being unaware of the enslavement is that there is some reason they cannot move against the slaving race: the slaving race has something the Ilyameitr desparately need to survive, or the slaving race is too strong to fight openly.

It all depends on what fits best into your campaign, I can't say I have enough infomation to really say which I think would be better.

Arkhandus

First Post
It would help if you clarified what race is which.....I'm not sure if the Ilyameitr are race 1, 2, or 3, and not sure which race is the enslaved and who the enslavers....

If you're having trouble with names, maybe use the word for 'people', 'folk', or something, from another language? Try translating words like that or words descriptive of the race using the Babelfish translator or something like it. http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Turanil

First Post
D&D is about conflict essentially, be it a troll, or here an Ilyameitr.

My suggestion: adventures begin on continent A. There, exist many kingdoms, and all the races, with plenty of room for all of them. Among them are also Ilyameitr and Ilyameitr's slaves in small communities of refugees. That is, communities of ex Ilyameitr's slaves who fled continent B to seek freedom, and communities of Ilyameitr who fled continent B because they were political opponents of in the evil dictatorial empire of the Ilyameitr. (Just think about the US 3 or 4 centuries ago, when many Europeans fled Europe to settle on a new world where they would be able to practice their religion freely).

Meanwhile, on the continent B, there is a powerful evil dictatorial empire, that of the Ilyameitr, where the 2nd race is enslaved, but also where those Ilyameitr opposed to this evil dictatorial regime and opposed to slavery are persecuted. So, regularly people of both races escape from continent B toward continent A. On continent A, "native" Ilyameitr are not evil, do not to enslave anyone. However, at times come some hunting parties of evil Ilyameitr from continent B, bent on persecuting escaped slaves and political opponents. Of course this poses problems to other races and kingdoms as well.

Maybe the time for a great war between the two continents is approaching... (think 100 years war in medieval Europe between France and England).

Ferret

Explorer
Thornir Alekeg said:
OK, so I'm just confused. The Ilyameitr are a separate race from both the slavers and the enslaved, right? Is it the enslaved race that has "wild" (i.e. free) members and Domesticated (enslaved) members? And you need a way to keep the Ilyameitr, who would be opposed to anyone enslaving others, from knowing about the enslavement of race 2 so that it is plausible they allowed this to happen?

Yes, Except the Wild of race one is in the wild. Think of it like when the british enslaved some of the africans. You had the slaves that eventually ( after many generations) changed to Afro-americans/Afro-anglican (??). It seemed like you think some of The Servants weren't slaves but still lived in the cities of The First.

Thornir Alekeg said:
I see two choices for it: the Ilyameitr are removed from the region of the two races like you have in scenario 2. The mass migration could be the result of some cataclysmic event in their homeland that forced them to move on. The other optionscenario 1?, rather than them being unaware of the enslavement is that there is some reason they cannot move against the slaving race: the slaving race has something the Ilyameitr desparately need to survive, or the slaving race is too strong to fight openly.
They have nothing the Ilyameitr need, nor would they be too strong to fight, they are (would be at that time) equal resulting to massive blood shed. So they wouldn't try.

Thornir Alekeg said:
It all depends on what fits best into your campaign, I can't say I have enough infomation to really say which I think would be better.

It would fit much better without two continents. The cataclysm doesn't work with the picture in my head. I can't place words to why I feel it wouldn't work,

But I do like the idea of having the mass of the the Ilyameitr in their own homeland as apossed to with the First. So they can all leave the First on their own and sever communications. After a while messengers arrive and tell of a new dynasty and how rules have changed. The Ilyameitr and the First then would rejoin with ideas and stories of 'Barbaric slavers' And 'Narrow-minded fools'. I like it. :)

Also I have clarified who is who. Race one (the race who live/conflict with the Ilyameitr) are now The First. Race two (The race who where enslaved, but at present are free) is now The Servants.

The first and the servants (and the ilyameitr) have no genetic relation to each other.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases