(IR) The 3rd IR, Turn 6 (thread 2a)

Tokiwong

First Post
Iuz turns to the Red Army around him... "Now...! Now is the time to choose... do you fight here... or do you break... and lose it all... now is the Precipice of fate... fight with me... forgive our indescretions... and let us as a whole choose the fate of this world... and the next... the living will pity the dead... now rise with me and Fight...!!!!!!" with that Iuz and Malachai boosted by magic rise and move to face the oncoming menace... with their lives if need be.. if only to spur the rest on to action...

OOC: Basically leading the charge on the Elder Gods... yeah I am poof... but oh well... someone needs to play the martyr... might as well be Iuz... I started this mess afterall... but just think... I got everyone together... I feel so warm and fuzzy on the inside....

Last edited:

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Iuz and his Legions, Mina and her Army of the Dead, the Red Army, and the Angels, are not enough.

You have the ability to survive.
You can win.
You can save yourselves.

Will you do, what is required, to survive?

I wait, to see what all of you do.

Last edited:

Uvenelei

First Post
Edena: Gnomeworks is still in the game, but he's having internet problems. He's emailed several of us asking for a situation update because he can't get online to read the new threads. I have given him said update.

As for me, I'm going to do all I can to stop the Elder Ones. That isn't much, tho. The Groundpounders will all be brought to full power, all the way to the speed of light. Then, one ring gate will be put under each one to catch the ball, and another will be pointed in the general direction of the Elder Ones when they get close enough. Cthulhu gets shot first. :)

Last edited:

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
If you survive, your Seers would discover this anyways, so I am going to reveal Uvenelei's secret.

After all, it is not every day that a player figures out how to use 9th level magic to destroy an entire Crystal Sphere.

You are aware of the Gate spell, are you not?
You are aware that Gate allows you to travel from Here to There, right?

Uvenelei's mages created a reasonable (and apparently useless) variant of the Gate spell that causes you to go from Here to ... Here.

A Gate can be made permanent
A large Gate that allows regular traffic requires 10th level magic to do this.
However, a tiny Gate that could take only a small - say, one inch in diameter - ball of steel could be made permanent with the Permanency spell.

Now, imagine throwing this Gate upon a flat disc of steel.
Making the little Gate permanently.
Since the flat disc of steel can be moved, so can the Gate.

Now, imagine two such flat discs of steel, each with a Gate cast on them, and permanency.

Take the two plates, and suspend them in midair.
Make sure the Gates are facing each other.
Create a glass jar around the whole thing, and thus you have created a magical item, and the jar - and the two plates inside - can be moved about at will.
The plates will stay perfectly aligned, the two Gates facing each other.

Now imagine you used technology or magic to suck all the air out of this glass jar, thus creating a vacuum.

If you had thrown a steel ball into one of the Gates (in this case teleporting one into the jar, then moving it with telekinesis into one of the Gates), you would find that:

The steel ball would enter the Gate, then exit the Gate.
The steel ball would move across the vacuum to the other Gate, then exit the other Gate.
The steel ball would move back to the first Gate, then exit the first Gate.
The steel ball would move to the second Gate again, enter, and exit.

Now, Gates do have height and width, so here's the real trick of it all.

You cast Reverse Gravity on the glass, twice.
You then cast Permanency on the glass, twice.

You make it so that a perfect plane exists, bisecting the two Gates exactly in the middle, with gravity polarized on either side of this plane.

Now see what happens.

You teleport a one inch in diameter steel ball into the glass.
It falls, at normal acceleration, into the first Gate.
It exits that Gate on the OTHER side of the polarized gravity field, and falls upward, at 1x acceleration, into the other Gate.
It exits that Gate back on the original side of the polarized gravity field, and falls downward, at 1x acceleration, into the original Gate.

A nice trick. The ball falls faster, faster, and faster.

Now, Reverse Gravity is only a 7th level spell.
If a 7th level spell can negate gravity, there is no question that 7th level magic could alter gravity over a specific area, to a specific extent.
This effect, could be made permanent.

8th level magic could alter gravity much more, over an even greater area.

9th level magic could alter gravity much more yet, over an even greater area yet.
Or, alter gravity very greatly, over a tiny area.
And this, too, can be made permanent.

In this case, 9th level magic can produce a gravity field 1000 times greater than normal.

Now, you make both gravity fields in the glass jar 1000 times normal (obviously, the glass must be glassteeled to hope to survive the pressures on it.)

Now, go back and see what happens.
The little one inch steel ball, accelerates, not at one gravity, but at one thousand gravities.

In a matter of only 3 days, it reaches the speed of light.
Or, rather, it approaches the speed of light, for that speed cannot be attained by any object with mass.

As the steel ball approaches the speed of light, it's mass grows greater.
And greater.
And greater.
To the mass of a boulder.
To the mass of a hill.
To the mass of a mountain.
To the mass of a world.
To the mass, of a star.

Then, carefully prepared Contingency spells go off, and one of the Gates is dispelled.
The ball, no longer travels from Gate to Gate.
The ball, travels through the glass.

With whatever mass it has achieved, it slams into whatever is unfortunate enough, be it a person or a planet, to be in it's way.

As fate would have it, Uvenelei has created several hundred of these Groundpounders, as he calls them.
He intended to use them on several of you.
His tactic, would have been most devastatingly effective, and unfortunately it would have destroyed much of the world of Oerth.

Now, his invention, may be the world's salvation.

- - -

Before I go on, would all the Rules Lawyers out there care to argue about why Uvenelei could not do what I just described above?

(The DM rests his head in his hands, amused.)

People are always shooting down other player's inventions in D&D, always citing rules, always saying why it cannot be done.

Someone out there, please convince me that Uvenelei cannot do this - Melkor, you have a vested interest in showing Uvenelei cannot do this, so speak up and get your friends to speak up too!.

I am putting this up on RPG General.
I simply must hear all the arguments for why this would not work.

After all, I am the DM, and the DM must be evil and rotten and no good and nasty and vile and cruel and wrongful and dastardly and unreasonable and dark and ruinous and ... :)

Last edited:

Uvenelei

First Post
That's not how I designed the weapon to work, but if it works how you described it, then it's even better than the original!

The one I created was pretty much the way Edena described it. The gates he mentioned are really ring gates, as per the magic item found in the DMG. These are tweaked to allow more than 100 pounds of mass to be transported per day. The ring gates are set one above the other, so what ever falls into the bottom one comes out of the top one and falls back into the bottom one - falling forever, as it were. The gravity inside the cylinder is amplified simply to speed up the process, because I'm impatient.

However, my weapons only fire straight towards the well of gravity that's pulling the ball - ie, straight down. Edena's go both up and down, meaning I can shoot things out of the sky easier.

The first one I created was used by a villian to try and destroy a large part of the world - it was called a Worldbreaker then, for obvious reasons. These were only meant to destroy cities and standing armies, thus the name change.

Since Gnomeworks is having problems getting online to play, could you play him, Edena? I think he'd try to defend Oerth by nuking the Elder Ones if he were here.

Last edited:

William Ronald

Explorer
(OOC: Sorry for being away. I have been busy in real life. I just e-mailed Gnomeworks and Forrester. Time to fight.)

Hazen stands and yells. "For Oerth, for Greyspace, and for life itself."

He appears by the unbelievably stunned Gwilym Raonul and Lord William Ronald. Telepathically, he asks for the staff.

"Now we must fight for Oerth. For life itself. May Rao aid us. May the One aid us in this hour."

Hazen uses the Crook of Rao to blast the elder ones. If the Red Army is attacking the Elder Ones, they are ignored. If they are impeding efforts to fight the elder Ones, the Kevellond League will attack them. The armies of the Kevellond League stand in support of the Angels. Mortals are now helping the angels, calling on their gods for aid. Lest Greyspace become Darkspace.

A message is sent to Forrester by Hazen, showing him in his new angelic form:

"President Forrester, Oerth needs you. It is I, Hazen. The full might of Toril and its peoples are needed. Your allies are at full alert. Aid Oerth in our hour of need."

William Ronald

Explorer
(OOC: I am following a suggestion from Spoof.)

Gwilym Raonul runs behind Hazen, his face full of worry but hope.
He turns to Lord William Ronald of Keoland. "This is perhaps the only good news on this dark day. Hazen is an Angel. What are you reaching for.?"

"This," Lord Ronald says and Hazen halts. "Several flasks from Samantha, with a label. 'Break in case of emergency.' Well, if ever there was an emergency, this is it. Shall, I Hazen?"

"YES!" Hazen says, regarding his friends warmly. "Throw them as far as you can. I will aid your efforts. I pray this shall work."

Lord Ronald throws the vials with a great effort and they strike the ground far from his feet. Farther than he can normally throw.

The vials clatter on the ground, and shatter.

Alright, Spoof, Edena. What happens?

William Ronald

Explorer
Call to all IR players

Hello, all current and past IR players.

I urge all of you to post as soon as you can and help with the current problem. Melkor released the Elder Ones.

I realize some of you may feel hurt, but apologies have been offered. I would like you to come back.

The people who have played in this IR are among some of the most remarkable gamers I have meet. I think we can all make a big difference in this IR.

Please come back if you have not done so. I am sure that Edena is willing to talk to you privately. E-mail him if you have any concerns you wish to address with him.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases