Planar Binding - How have you used it in your game?

Hi Everyone,

Just curious in regards to the Planar Binding spells and how you guys have used them as players and as DMs.
What are some of the more interesting roleplaying opportunities that it has provided for your group and how have you got the best bang for your buck out of it?

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Olive

Explorer
we've only used the lesser version once, but the bargining was extremely entertaining. The player had to cajole and bribe the eladrin he had called, who was terribly irritated by being whipped away from her game.

She was evetually convinced and provided useful information tot he PCs. I'm hoping the PC in question will do some more. Anyway, see my sig for some ideas about potential creatures that can be summoned.

Garnfellow

Explorer
Herremann the Wise said:
Just curious in regards to the Planar Binding spells and how you guys have used them as players and as DMs.
What are some of the more interesting roleplaying opportunities that it has provided for your group and how have you got the best bang for your buck out

One of the players in my group runs a conjurer, but he has only used his planar binding spell a couple of times, and I don't see him trying it again any time soon. While role-playing out the negotiations was somewhat fun, the in-game cost/benefits never really seemed worth the hassle. I would guess that my player would have rather chosen a spell with more utility -- something that could be used every game session.

Personally, I dislike the mechanics of the spell. I think the incantation rules from d20 Modern Urbana Arcana work a lot better for calling up powerful extra-planar thingies.

Thanee

First Post
We only used it once yet to enlist the help of some planetars to help chasing down a balor, who had stolen a powerful artifact. They were quite willing to help out there, not much convincing necessary. :)

I'm planning to pick up Planar Binding with my sorceress (3 more levels to go, until I have access to 6th level spells). Then I might have some more examples. ;)

Bye
Thanee

PJ-Mason

First Post
Ironically enough, i find it getting used against me far more than i use it myself. But then i rarely play wizards or sorcerers. I know this, it can be a pain in the ever-loving rump if you're not prepared (strategy and equipment wise) for it.

I do think its one of the cooler magics in D&D. :)

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
We used it to conjure a minor archon of some sort. BBEG had teleportation detectors... so we got our temporary friend to hop around near the guys base disrupting these detectors - managed to achieve the goal of drawing some of his henchmen outside where we could ambush them.

As far as the roleplaying side went it was a short but fun diversion. Apparantly, what we wanted was 'at odds with the greater good', until we mentioned that we didn't want it to directly engage the BBEG in combat... Then it became 'the will of the gods'. :)

However, I'd agree with Garnfellow that for what it does the spell has a steep cost. Certainly, too high to see regular use from our group.

Having said that, in the above case it was well worth the price.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases