[Full] Dry Spell (adventure)

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Hi Folks,

I am recruiting for a very short, low-level, site-based adventure. My intention is to keep it short, keep it moving, and most of all keep it FUN! :D

If you are new to D&D, you are welcome here! If you want a break from complex gaming, you are welcome here!

However, because a primary goal here is to keep it M-O-V-I-N-G, you must be able to commit to posting a minimum of 5 days a week. Ideally, I'd like to do a minimum of 1 round per day, 6 days a week. I will also need a valid email address (from each player accepted into the party) that you check frequently. That way, I can let you know as soon as I post.

So, if a simple, fast, FUN game interests you, please apply.

We will be using a short adventure released as a free "Adventure of the Month" (or something like that) on the WOTC Website. In order to keep it open to a wide group, the adventure will take place in a “generic” D&D setting. This specific adventure is called "Dry Spell," and it is by Darrin Drader. If you are familiar with this adventure, you should not apply as it would not be very fun for you, and might ruin the fun for others as well. Sorry. Also, it goes without saying that you should not look this adventure up if you are accepted into the party.

This adventure will be mostly action. Verisimilitude in interpersonal interactions, while important, will take a second place to keeping the pace up. There won't be any long interactions with loads of NPCs in town (which can take weeks in real time) or anything like that. Instead, role-playing will revolve around exploration and “combat-likely” encounters. The basic plot hook will be provided once the party is set, and there will be some short opportunities for gathering information, etc., mostly through skill checks with some role-playing. While the emphasis is on game action, correct and descriptive language use is still a prerequisite for joining the party (PbP is, after all, a written format).

During combat, tactical movement, etc., you will need to tell me your basic intent, what actions you want to take, what feats/abilities you are using, and the like. I will then resolve the action, post what happened, and ask what you want to do next. Please let me know under what contingencies your intent would change. If something obvious happens (like the opponent you wanted to target falls before your turn), I will try to guess what you would most likely do in that case given your intent. So the more info you give me about your intent up front, the better I will be able to resolve the action in accordance with your thinking. For really important moments, I will stop the resolution at your place in the initiative order and ask you for specific instructions (I certainly don't want anyone to feel railroaded).

I will make all rolls, and will post those that you would normally know about (such as attack and damage rolls, purposeful skill checks, and the like), but may not post all modifiers or the DCs (the DM has to have *some* secrets in order to keep the game fun for you, after all ;) ). I will NOT cheat you, but you must accept my decisions as final.

We need four 3rd level players. Reply to this post with a character idea (you don't need to go through the trouble of developing an elaborate background or anything, just race and class for now). I will take the four characters that I think fit together best. More details on character creation are given below.

In order to keep this open to as wide a group as possible, I will only accept *core* races and classes.

However, I *may* accept some spells, feats, domains, etc. from the following books:
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Player’s Guide to Faerun
Silver Marches
Underdark
Draconomicon
Book of Eldritch Might (vol. I--the new PDF version incorporating 3.5)​
Note: You will NOT need any of these books to play, you only need a Player’s Handbook or the SRD and a character.

We will be using 3.5 only. “Rule Zero” is in effect (this just means that the DM has the final say).

For this adventure, multiclassing is discouraged. (This will make it easier for me, and the easier it is for me, the fairer and more fun it will be for you.) ;)

Your character’s ability scores should be determined using standard point buy with 25 points. See DMG page 169. If you don’t know what this means, simply use the following scores arranged any way you want: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.

Each PC’s starting wealth will be 2700 gp. Each PC can spend up to 675 gp of his or her wealth on magic items, and your mundane items (armor, weapons, adventuring gear, etc.) must be purchased from the remainder.

Use the attached form for character creation. This is the form used for Living ENWorld. It is a little ugly in its current form, but will line up very nicely in a post. See this post for an example of what a completed form will look like once posted. Remember to list your modifier for any skill that you purchase ranks in or that is affected for your character by a feat, racial or class ability, etc.

Please don’t go through all the trouble of making a complete character until your character idea has been accepted.

Please post any questions.

Let’s have some FUN!

Attachments

• Form.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

Galethorn

First Post
I'd like a break from not gaming! Well, that and more complex gaming, as suggested in your post. I've heard of the adventure, but have no idea what it's about, so it should work...

I'd like to play a human fighter. Bastard sword, heavy shield, light crossbow. I would probably be neutral good, and try to use superior tactics to win the day (real tactics like 'move in from the high ground to flank!' rather than 'hit him with a fireball, then toss out the Bag-of-Rats and have the fighter great-cleave if he gets too close!').

Oh, and if you allowed it, I would substitute Hong's Knight Class for the fighter.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Galethorn,

Thanks for the interest! Human fighters are always a nice addition to a party. I think this has real promise for a balanced party.

In order to keep this open to the widest range of people (and specifically newbies and those who want to get back to basics for a while), I am limiting class and race to those listed in the PHB. That means no Knight. Sorry. :\

Now, let's see if anyone else is interested. Anyone out there like the idea of throwing fireballs and bags-o'-rats at the enemy?

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
I think I'd be interested.

Would you allow psionics from the XPH?

If so I'd play a human psion with lots of telekinetics, otherwise I'd have to think about it.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Hey Nac,

Thanks for the interest. Unfortunately, psionics won't be permitted. It's just too small a group of people that get it. (And, to be honest, I'm not one of them.)

For all I know, psionics might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I really want to keep this basic, basic, and basic...oh, and moving. :D

Last edited:

Brain

First Post
I'm interested. For a character concept, how about an elven rogue (or ranger if it's more of an outdoors thing). A stealthy scout-type who employs ranged weapons primarily. I would be willing to play some other type of character also. I chose this because I don't play this type very often, and in a basic game I can ease back into it.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
That's okay, psionics can be a bit trying.

I'd like to play a Githzerai Monk. The Githzerai are in the 3.5 MM (but not in the SRD for some reason).

I'll put up stats sometime tonight probably.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Brain, I'm liking the idea of elven rogue. If you wanted to do ranger, that would be OK, but I think rogue fits better in this one.

Off topic: By the way, I'm hoping our Living ENworld characters get picked up for an adventure soon. I dig the background you did up for Scun.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Nac:

Duuuuuude, are ya tryin' to slip one past me? Githzerai have psionics. Nice try. ;)

On a serious note, no psionics, which also means no Githzerai. I want this game to be basic, basic, and basic--just plain vanilla D&D. Monk is totally cool, but pick a race from the PHB if you are still interested, and I'll take a look at it. :)

As far as BoED, sorry again. :( In the original post (see above), I listed the books that I might consider taking some options from. BoED isn't in the list for the good reason that I don't own the book.

If you're really dying to play a psionic character, I believe someone is currently recruiting for an Eberron campaign. Maybe they are looking for a psionic character.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases