Underwater campaign: help?

Deimodius

First Post
Hey.

I originally posted this is the D20 section, since I am asking about D20 resources, but it didn't seem to be getting much traffic, so I'm reposting it here as a plea for help with my D&D underwater campaign.

I'm planning to create a new campaign world for my homebrew, based on sea travel with the majority of adventuring done underwater. I already have The Seafarer's Handbook (Fantasy Flight Games) but I'm hoping you can all help me (and anyone else interested in this sort of campaign) with a definitive listing of the best D20 resources for adventure on, and under, the sea.

Here are some of the books I've seen in the Reviews section of Enworld:

The Book of the Sea (Mongoose)
Into the Blue (Bastion)
The Deep (MEG)
Monsters of the Boundless Blue (Goodman Games)
Seafarer's Handbook (Fantasy Flight Games)

Like I said, I already have the Seafarer's handbook, but I want to know if it's good enough on its own, or if there are any other "must have" books in this genre.

I also want a good book or two about pirates for D20, so I'd appreciate your thoughts on that as well.

I have the old Pirates of the Sword Coast book from 2ed, has anyone used that in 3ed? What did you do to modify it?

Any help you can give me is much appreciated. Thanks.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
There was a 2E Forgotten Realms product (PDF download available from www.rpgnow.com), Sea of Fallen Stars, that had an underwater nation the centre of which was a mythal that allowed air breathers to also function normally underwater. Something similar might be helpful so that a simple dispel magic doesn't immediately result in the deaths of the PCs.

Even if you're not a fan of FR there are stacks of ideas in this book such as historical events, the role of the morkoth, great wars, specific treasures etc... that you could
use to flesh out your own campaign.

I'm not familiar with the four titles you have listed but, in respect of:

- The Book of the Sea (Mongoose); and
- Monsters of the Boundless Blue (Goodman Games),

my experience with both publishers has been less than satisfactory (Mongoose has improved; GG produces garbage: IMO/YMMV and, yes, I am aware that most reviewers don't agree with me).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases