Rawhead and Bloody Bones

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Although this creature's name is that of a fairly common bogeyman, the description and some of its abilities are taken from the Courtney Crumrin comic books. So there is a method to my madness. I'm most concerned about what CR would be appropriate- not too many hit points or hit dice, but a lot of defenses and a nasty offense. On with the show!

Rawhead and Bloody Bones
Large Fey (Extraplanar)

Hit Dice: 10d6+60 (95 hp)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 40ft (8 squares), climb 20ft
Armor Class: 24 (-1 size, +5 Dex, +10 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+22
Attack: Claw +17 melee (2d6+13)
Full Attack: 2 claws +17 melee (2d6+13), bite +15 melee (2d8+6)
Space/Reach: 10ft/10ft
Special Attacks: Frightful presence, improved grab, rend 4d6+19
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, DR 15/cold iron, fast healing 5, immunity to spells, low-light vision, malleable, truename
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +12, Will +10
Abilities: Str 37, Dex 20, Con 23, Int 18, Wis 17, Cha 21
Skills: Bluff +18, Climb +21, Diplomacy +7, Escape Artist +28, Hide +19, Intimidate +18, Jump +26, Listen +16, Move Silently +18, Spot +16, Survival +16, Swim +26
Feats: Cleave, Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Power Attack, Track (B)
Environment: Tarterian Depths of Carceri
Organization: Unique
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: ½ Standard
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Advancement: 11-30 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

This hunched creature resembles a hideously flayed ogre, revealing powerful sinews and muscle. Its arms are overlong and end in long clawed fingers. A massive head, resembling a fanged human skull, sits on a thick neck held parallel to the ground. Its hollow eye-sockets burn with eldritch green light.

Rawhead and Bloody Bones is a powerful and evil fey creature summoned to the Prime Material plane as an expert killer.

Rawhead and Bloody Bones stands about 10 feet tall, even hunched over, and weighs 500 pounds. Despite his appearance, Rawhead and Bloody Bones is not truly undead, although it is possible that he is the incarnation of a former mortal.

Rawhead and Bloody Bones is, thankfully, imprisioned somewhere on the plane of Carceri. Evil and self-serving spellcasters can, however, summon him to commit murder. His specialty, thanks to his practical immunity to magic, is killing wizards, but he is fond of killing children who cross his path, or just for fun. He has an excellent track record as an assassin- he boasts that none of his targets have ever escaped him. This is not true; some clever victims have learned his truename and used it to either banish him or turn him against their enemies (usually Rawhead and Bloody Bones’ summoner). Rawhead and Bloody Bones speaks Common and Abyssal.

Combat
Due to his superior protection against both magic and weaponry, Rawhead and Bloody Bones is fearless in combat, tearing foes apart mercilessly with claws and teeth. He likes to lay ambushes for assigned targets, using his malleability to hide in unexpected places.

Frightful Presence (Ex): Rawhead and Bloody Bones is terrible to behold in combat. When Rawhead and Bloody Bones attacks or charges, all creatures within 60ft of him must make Will saves (DC 22). On a failure, creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 5d4 rounds and those with 5 or more HD are shaken for 5d4 rounds. Creatures that save successfully are immune to Rawhead and Bloody Bones’ frightful presence for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma based and includes a +2 racial bonus.

Improved Grab (Ex): In order to use this ability, Rawhead and Bloody Bones must hit a Medium or smaller creature with a claw or bite attack. He can then make a grapple check as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Rend (Ex): If Rawhead and Bloody Bones hits an opponent with both claw attacks, it pulls the flesh apart, dealing an additional 4d6+19 points of damage.

Immunity to Magic (Su): Rawhead and Bloody Bones is immune to all spells and spell-like abilities that are subject to spell resistance with the following exceptions. Rawhead and Bloody Bones is subject to greater planar binding, magic circle vs. chaos or evil, planar binding and protection from chaos or evil An animate dead spell cast on the remains of Rawhead and Bloody Bones has the effects of a true resurrection spell (which is why it is best to destroy his body entirely!)

Malleable (Su): Rawhead and Bloody Bones is malleable to an unnatural extent. He can fit into any area at least 1 foot square without penalty. He can also, as a move equivalent action, increase his reach by 5ft for one round.

Truename (Su): Rawhead and Bloody Bones’ truename has been lost to history, but anyone who discovers it can wield great power over him. A creature speaking Rawhead and Bloody Bones’ truename as a standard action can gain authority over him as if he was charmed for 24 hours (no save). Once the 24 hours have elapsed, Rawhead and Bloody Bones returns to Carceri, although the speaker of his truename may dismiss him before then.

Skills: Rawhead and Bloody Bones gains a +10 racial bonus to all Escape Artist and Hide checks. Rawhead and Bloody Bones gains a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks, and can take 10 on Climb checks even when rushed or threatened.

Demiurge out.

Ferret

Explorer
Wow that quite cool. I would have said that the CR is appropriate, at that level the cast would have means to bypass the immunity (Area effects, summons etc.) and a BAB of 13 has about 45% of hitting.

The fast healing and Damage reduction could be lethal. You'd need to do over 20 points of damage to get past unless you have a silver weapon.

Overall this would proably work best as a surprise creature, maybe summoned to kill the parties mage, it might have been fought off though and when it come back be killed. Which is novel.

Aries_Omega

Explorer
Another Version

In the Deeds Not Words RPG, a d20 superhero game there is a book called "Laying The Smack Down" which has one interpatation of "Bloody Bones". Mind you it isn't "Rawhead and Bloody Bones" and it is suited more for a superhero RPG in modern day. This version is great for fantasy gaming and I plan to use it next time I run a D&D game. I'll let you know the carnage it causes.

Aries

robjh

First Post
The only problem I see with the stats is that the claw/damage is much higher than normal for a creature of this size. (Typically 1d6/1d8 instead for Large.) If it gets a grab, should it get automatic rend damage each round?

This is a seriously bad-arsed creature with very few, if any, apparent weaknesses. It'd be interesting to send it up against a party of 13th level characters to see if it can even be cracked. :)

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I'd say that in the instance of the rend/grab, that Rawhead and Bloody Bones would have to hit with another claw attack (at a -4 penalty, because it's a natural weapon in a grapple) in order to deal rend damage.

Demiurge out.

Knight Otu

First Post
Nice creature, and I see nothing wrong with it at first glance. I especially like the resurrection bit.
FIREdevil.gif

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Nice monster! It even comes with a song:

Rawhead and Bloodybones by Siouxsie and the Banshees

Bad word,
Or bad deed,
Unpunished invites grief,
Here's
Rawhead and Bloodybones
Reaching from