Suggestions for a Fighter/Rogue Build

jarlaxlecq

First Post
I'm starting up a new campaign. In it the majoirty of us are going to be rogues of one form or another. My rogues is going to be the assassin type, not so much interested in picking locks and finding traps as much as sneaking and stalking and stabing people in the back. We're starting at level 2 so granted there isn't going to be much to work with now. I'm planing on being Human. and a nuetral alignment.

Gregor

First Post
Here is one (assuming 32 point buy):

Human Fighter 1 / Rogue 1

Str - 12
Dex - 16
Con - 12
Int - 14
Wis - 10
Cha - 14

Feats: Two Weapon Fighting, Two Weapon Defence, Weapon Finesse
Skills: max out hide, move silently, jump, balance, tumble, escape artist et al.
Gear: Masterwork Rapier, Masterwork Kukri, Masterwork Chainshirt and other stuff

AC: 18

Attack: +5 (rapier, 1d6+1 18-20/x2)
Full Attack: +3 (rapier, 1d6+1 18-20/x2) / +3 (kukri, 1d4+1 18-20/x2)

You could be a sneaky little crit master / sneak attacker.

edit - put ranks in bluff so you can take advantage of your 14 charisma and maximize your sneak attack opportunities

Last edited:

Felix

Explorer
I'd go just a bit differently than Gregor, and unless someone else in your party has this schtick go with daggers; they're easier to hide.

Human Fighter 1/Rogue 1

Abilities: again, assuming 32pb
STR 10
DEX 16
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 10
CHA 14

Feats: Two Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse, Quickdraw

Skills:
This depends greatly upon if you take Rogue first, or Fighter first. There is a tradeoff either way, but generally I think it's better to have 24 more skill points than 4 more HP.

Concentrate on: Hide, Move Silently, Escape Artist, Climb, Tumble, Intimidate, Disguise, Bluff

Half-ranks in: Listen, Spot, Sense Motive, Search, Balance, Sleight of Hand,

Gear:
Masterwork Daggers, Masterwork Chainshirt (or Studded Leather) and other.

AC: 17 (or 16)

Attack: +5 (dagger, 1d4, 19-20/x2)
Attack: +3 (dagger, 1d4, 19-20/x2)/ +3 (dagger, 1d4, 19-20/x2)

If you take 4 levels of fighter, you'll also get more mileage out of Weapon Focus and Weapon Spec, and still maintain the sneaky bugger personna with the daggers. But for the most part, the daggers will remain sneak attack vectors, and not damage dealers. With regard to higher crit ranges, rogues don't really benefit from them since most of their damage is from SA, and that isn't multiplied.

Kalendraf

Explorer
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Sounds tailor-made for a Rogue/Ranger with 'Human' favored enemy. Get the dual-wielding for free, plus you won't lose as much in skill points.

With only 2 levels, they won't get the dual-wielding for another level, unless they opt to take both levels as ranger from the start. That method would miss out on some 1st level skill points as well. The bonus fighter feats will more than make up for any "free" ranger feats. Skill points on the ranger are more, but the fighter gets a larger hit dice. Unless you need the tracking, animal companion and other ranger-specific abilities, the fighter version is generally better.

sledged

First Post
Well, if you're thinking about going heavy on the rogue, I recommend feats to maximize your sneak attack. Low Blow and Improved Low Blow (Races of Faerun) are a couple of good ones. They have a BAB requirement, which is beyond a 2nd level character's abilities, but you can grab the prerequisites in the meantime. If there's a sorcerer/wizard in the group make sure they have Reduce Person.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases