time travel

jaide_duo

First Post
i know i'm new but please respond even if this sounds remotely dumb

i have created a time traveling storyline and now i have run into the problem of designing a prehistoric age in which is best described in a video game put out in 1993. in the game the humans a refered to as apes and the dominate race is the reptilian beings of which closley resmble kbolds. so what i'm saying is that i need help in building my prehistoric world. :\

How long do you have till players are going to be tramping through this world? If you're time is on budget, I'd recommend starting small... a village, the areas around it. Maybe they start in a small human settlement that is run by the big bad kobold living on the hill in his fancy castle. As the story progresses, develop things outward from this small area.

thundershot

Adventurer
You should pick up "Lost Prehistorica" from rpgnow.com .. it's a great pdf product with lots of goodies. Also, the next issue of DUNGEON magazine (can't remember steenking number) is going to have a classic D&D backdrop, the ISLE OF DREAD... as well as an adventure.

Chris

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Cross-posted from the "Pre-History?" thread:

Alzrius said:
I read an article in an old Dragon quite a while ago on PCs who got sent back to a pre-history era, and ever since then I've always had one in my campaign worlds, though I've never used them as of yet.

To me, it'd be great fun to (as that article talked about) have some sort of temporal accident drop the PCs off there, as it becomes a great blend of fighting off the native monsters, but also surviving the environment.

For example, divine spellcasters have to deal with the fact that their gods don't exist/haven't come to this world yet. Essentially, since there aren't humans yet (there might be some proto-humanoids, but nothing even close to a true civilization for them), there are no gods among humans, or even relatively close deities for them to draw power from. The absolute closest that there might be would be demigods (who are physically present on the world) who are little better than animals themselves, representing aspects of nature, such as survival, death, hunting, etc. That old Dragon article on the demigods of the Primal Rage video game was a great idea in that regard.

Likewise, arcane spellcasters have it a little easier, but spells with material components can be harder to use, since gathering those components can be a lot more difficult now.

Repairing weapons and acquiring new missle weapons if existing arrows and such break is much more difficult. Gathering food can be harder since rangers and druids weren't trained in this environment, so Survival checks can take a penalty.

In terms of monsters, I prefer to focus more on "natural mutations" than things like evil Outsiders, since the latter are so timeless that they go against the grain of the alien, isolated feeling I'm trying to create. Rather, the PCs will meet things like proto-dragons, gigantic sea monsters, huge burrowing worms, walking carnivorous plants, etc. Basically, monsters that are natural products of a world where nature is still wildly experimenting with creating new lifeforms.

Also, you might want to check out this article on the WotC website about Chronomancy in established D&D worlds (with the exception, naturally, of Eberron).

Last edited:

Remove ads