Typical Chaotic Good Elf?

Shin Okada

Explorer
When I first got 3e rule books, one thing I have been surprised is that Elves are CG race rather than LG race. For decades, I was thinking DnD Elves to be Tolkin-type elder race. Long living, calm, well-sophisticated and somewhat hard-headed noble race. Thus, I have been thinking them to be Lawful race. But Elves in 3e (and in Greyhawk) are Chaotic race. So I am wondering how to role-play "typical" Elves in 3e (both as a player and a DM).

How is the mentality of typical CG Elves like? And How is the society of typical CG Elves like?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
My idea of Elves was largely that of the elves in Spenser's Faerie Queen. And Tolkien. And folklore

So I agree.

But for the new elves, I tend to picture them as hippies/tree huggers.

Which is why I don't use them.

durath

First Post
Since you refer to "Tolkien" type elves I would suggest reading or rereading the Silmarillion. Certainly there are some calm, sophisticated elves but you only have to read about Feanor and his sons to understand the chaotic nature of the elves.

Basically elves are seen as more chaotic than lawful for a variety of reasons. Their society is not highly regimented(like dwarves). Due to their immortal nature(as per Tolkien NOT 3E) they can flit from interest to interest at a whim-heck they have forever to try whatever they want. Even in 3E they have a very long time.

I could go on but, again, read the silmarillion and you will understand where the inspiration for the elvish tendencies comes from.

JDeMobray

First Post
In my long running Forgotten Realms campaign Elves have always been Lawful.

In my own personal old campaign setting, the Elves are Neutral Good.

In the new campaign setting I'm working on with a couple of the other DMs from my gaming group we have two races of elves so far: the Sky Elves are still very Lawful but Neutral; and the Forest Elves are Chaotic and Good.

On topic: I've never been comfortable with the Tolkien inspired Elves of D&D being portrayed as Chaotic, the Simarillion be damned. Elrond wasn't Chaotic. Galadriel wasn't Chaotic. Legolas wasn't Chaotic. The Glorfindel from Fellowship wasn't Chaotic. Not even by D&D's goofy hippie definition of Chaotic.

Aaron L

Hero
Yes, the Silmarillion wil explain much about the CG nauture of elves. Faenor was the archetypal Chaotic Good elf. Maybe even Chaotic Neutral. Being swayed into rebellion against the Valar by the words of Melkor, starting the first battle of elf against elf, putting a sword to his brothers throat, finally realizing that he had been used but still believeing the worst of the Valar, and then slamming his door in the face of Melkor. Gosh I love Faenor.

Chaotic Good, as in prizing individualism over conformity, valueing freedom and beauty, fits in perfectly tih Tolkiens elves. His elves can be viewed as having both LG and CG members, but as a society I see CG as fitting nicely, and in both my friends and my home made worlds we use a Chaotic Good Tolkienesque model for our elves.

Remove ads