The real history of RPGs

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
As I read the first section, I thought, ookayy, this might go somewhere. And then I realized this was written like some kind of drug-induced rambling. Every once in a while a single line would be on the verge of being funny or poignant and then it would all fall apart into bizzare stuff again.

If I'm looking for RPG satire and humor, I'll stick to Critical Miss ( http://www.criticalmiss.com ) , thank you very much. Now, if they would only put out a new issue!

Nisarg

Banned
Banned
I'm surprised more people don't appreciate this kind of humour. I personally loved it.

I mean, c'mon..
"No longer able to market himself as a full-time hormone replacement, E. Gary Gygax was forced to open the first Gaming Store."?
"During this time, Gygax concentrated on various other projects, among them the disastrous Frantabulous Zeppelin Flight to the Moon."?
"As per the contract, Lorraine Williams returned to the Abyss after her period of 1313 days in office"??
"Marc Rein·Hagan had tapped a previously unknown market — depressed teenagers with high disposable incomes"
"After her hasty departure to the Underworld, former TSR CEO Lorraine Williams's financial advisers negotiated the sale of TSR for the price of 10 magic beans. Behind the negotiations was Adkinson, riding high on his incredible sales record and legally prescribed Morphine. TSR officially became a subsidiary of WotC in 1997,

Adkinson's first change was to remove William's throne of skulls. More drastic changes were to come. Adkinson raised the necessary production staff, and put them to work cleaning out the offices. The questionable ethics of zombification were overlooked as an alternative to cheap foreign labour, despite warnings from his spooky foreign groundskeeper and the warnings covering the Book of the Dead."?????

Surrealistic humour at its best. Way way better than the "look at us aren't we geeky" KoTD-school of what lamentably passes for "gamer humour".

Nisarg

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Its all a matter of opinion, but it really does nothing for me. Maybe I just don't understand it. Why is the line about E.G.G. marketing himself as a full-time hormone replacement funny? Is there something historical that I just don't know, but am supposed to, to make that a funny remark, or is it supposed to be funny just because its strange?

Sorry I'm just not into surrealistic humor, I can't relate.

[edited for really poor typing]

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
I thought it was good, though it left out (predated?) Hasbro's purchase of WotC. Otherwise pretty comprehensive.

& what _did_ happen to Steve Jackson #1?!

Nisarg

Banned
Banned
S'mon said:
I thought it was good, though it left out (predated?) Hasbro's purchase of WotC. Otherwise pretty comprehensive.

& what _did_ happen to Steve Jackson #1?!

A very good question, S'mon.. and one to which the answer I suspect lies somewhere deep inside the machinery of the paper mill where the Illuminati:New World Order CCG was printed. ;)

Nisarg

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Having been drug free my whole life this did nothing for me. Maybe I need a 6-pack or 4 to appreciate this attempt at humor. Then again, I can think of better reasons to pop open a beer or two ;)

Last edited:

Orius

Legend
Yeah, most of the stuff and that site just didn't strike me as terribly funny. Either it wasn't or I just don't get the references.

However, I thought everything about Lorraine Williams was funny. :]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases