Tavern Tales Chapter #1: The Forgotten Forge

jasamcarl

First Post
And so it began that one evening, the sky, apparently tired of being pricked by the lofty towers of the fair city of Sharn, decided to make it's presense all to well known. It started with one drop, then another, until a veritable invasion of water shards began to bombard the tips of the city's most ambitious buildings. From there they continue to descend to the balcanies and skybridges which provide the residents of the upper city with the convenience of travel that allows them to retain their grand view. The storm, not being the just sort, seeks also to bombard the poorer wretches who inhabit lower levels of the city....But let's forget about them for the moment; after all, who in their right mind would wish to harp upon the cramped, decidedly unfantastic depths of the city?

No out story begins in the upper city. A place usually joyous and majestic, but now simply sparten. One of the perks of living so high is the ability to see bad weather coming, and so the opulant manses are very much boarded up and silent. The locals are obviously inclined to take the beauty that surrounds them for granted...but not travelers. No, they can appreciate alteast the newness of it all even on a night like this, not allowing their curiousity to be so easily 'rained upon' as it were. And our heroes are very much travelers, four in number, but with histories more commensurate with groups many times that number. Some come from hundreds of miles, some thousands, and one is even technically a local, but they are all in spirit 'travelers'.

Travelers aren't often the social types, but the narrow pathways and skyskapes of the upper city tend to forge encounters regardless of the particpants attempts. And so it was with these four, who, from the same number of distinct directions converge on the same smallish garden...

The aformentioned local, Litlow SoggySocks, comes from the south. Amongst other notable traits, he is three feet tall and has pointy ears, consistent with his gnomishness; he also has vibrant blue eyes that scream "I'm cute!!!" He is the most normal (atleast by Sharn standards) as this group will get.

From the east comes a man of median height. He goes by the name of Roger Yerkes, and, given his average frame, you would be hardpressed to take special notice of him in this darkness...or even in the morning's light.

From the north a much grander figure emerges, rain drops bouncing off "his" most magnificant armor, which sparkles and glistens under the storm's attentions as well as that of the everburning torches. Now why would a man be wearing full plate armor in this peacful corner of the city and at this time of night? Oh, but this is Hammer and, with a name like that, you just know that he is one of 'those'.

Finally from the east comes yet another figure, whose pale white features would render the arcane illumination of the city almost irrelevant. Only taller than the gnome, she appears even weaker at first glance, almost sickly. She is the aptly names "Snow in Dusk" and she has traveled perhaps farther than any other, so making any assumptions about her abilities would be foolhardy..unless of course you are the storyteller ... :)

Many who would watch this would wonder what would happen next....

Proceed. :)

Last edited:

DralonXitz

First Post
As the rain steadily glistens over his Mythril plated body, Hammer silently looks up, the moon glistening down across him. So this was the legendary Sharn, the city of Lights and Towers, home to some of the greatest Mages on Khorvaire. It really is as impressive as they say.

Hammer then looks back down to the garden, the landscape, remembering that at one time, he might have been spilling blood in this very country. But it wasn't always clear these days, the Warforged tried as hard as he could to forget the horrors of the last war. The tall construct then clenches his fists and thinks, "This is curious, I wonder why the Church has told me to come here? I know it is a major city, where crime is abundent, but I'm sure there are much more despotic places...

Macbeth

First Post
Roger Yerkes detaches himself from the shadows, and moves towards the warforged, his unmistakeable appearance promising the possibility of a story. And stories sell...

"Hey there. What's a big fellow like you doing all armored up with nowhere to go?"

Roger waits for a response. What can I spin this as? There's a story here somewhere.

shouit

Explorer
Litlow pulls tight his coat, sinching it up to keep the rain out. "Tyrina is going to kill me being late for dinner...again," Litlow mutters to himself. "I will just have to tell her that I was exploring."

Litlow looks up at the converging people to garden square. Slightly surprised at the fact that anyone else is walking the streets during the rain. "With the way my luck is going......I just hope no one notices me. " muttering to himself again. He continues to walk with his head towards the ground. All the while sneaking a peak at the group and especially Hammer, whom he looks at with a slight reverence.

Last edited:

DralonXitz

First Post
Macbeth said:
Roger Yerkes detaches himself from the shadows, and moves towards the warforged, his unmistakeable appearance promising the possibility of a story. And stories sell...

"Hey there. What's a big fellow like you doing all armored up with nowhere to go?"

Roger waits for a response. What can I spin this as? There's a story here somewhere.

Hammer slowly looks at the man, his glare almost menacing as he stares coldly into the eyes of the questioner. He continues his glare for a few more moments, and then his serenity comes back to him, overcoming his near meeting with annoyance.

"I am here on behalf of the Silver Flame. That is all my faith will allow me to say."

Ashy

First Post
Snow-in-Dusk's mind reeled with the city that sprawled above her, below her, around her...in every direction there were buildings so grand and glorious the likes of which she did not think possible. Why here, Traveler - why here? she asked herself, speaking to the subtle, soft voice inside her head.

She had traveled many miles at the behest of that voice - those many miles had led her to this city: Sharn, the fabeled city of Towers. She knew not why, yet here she found herself: standing in the pouring rain in a garden in a city that was as far removed from her home as anything she could have imagined.

Gawking at the monoliths of stone and light around her, Snow-in-Dusk accidentially bumped into the gnome. The shifter let out a yelp that echoed within the tiny garden - a yelp followed by a brief spasm of coughing. Finally catching her breath, Snow-in-Dusk stammered, her voice small and soft amid the massive stones. "No harm meant to the sire, no harm... Please pardon..."

shouit

Explorer
"My fault, my fault. I be klutzy around the big peoples," Litlow says looking up into the lady's face. Looking down to the ground shaking his head talking to himself, "Always klutzy Lit, Always klutzy. Give big people an excuse."

Litlow straightens himself out and looks back into Snow's face, "Have a nice evening, ma'am. I am terribly sorry. I hope your journey isn't always filled with rain." He continues walking.

Ashy

First Post
Snow-in-Dusk manages a smile, despite her bewilderment at her surroundings and the pouring rain, and replies. "Nay, it is my fault - gawking at these massive trees of stone and iron; and I thought the trees in the Towering Wood were the largest thing ever I would lay eyes upon." The shifter pauses for a moment, hesitating before she asks the inevitable question:

"Might you point out a local guide for a wayward pup like me? I am afraid that I could spend many moons wandering in this place and never make it quite out again..." The look in her eyes is almost pleading, but somehow, not helpless...

Macbeth

First Post
Hammer said:
"I am here on behalf of the Silver Flame. That is all my faith will allow me to say."
"Really, eh? Interesting. On behalf of the silver flame? A warforged? Huh. So what is it? Are you here to seek out more helpless lycanthropes, to kill them? Or is the Silver Flame finally trying to take over Sharn? You say that's all your faith will allow you to say, does that mean there's somebody else of your faith here watching you?"

Reg also takes note of the events between the shifter and the gnome. Not a story there yet, but there might be soon...

shouit

Explorer
Litlow stops quickly glances behind him towards the lady and sneaks a peek at the warforged as well. Scratches his head looking foward to where he was headed, "I am going to be late for dinner, anywho, should I help the lady? If I do, I might get into more trouble. But then again, Tyrina is always saying for me to do something. But.. the I might be in this rain more and catch a cold. Ahhh, well."

Making an abrupt turn walks toward the lady addressing him all the while trying to look around her to glance at the warforge, "What are you looking for? An Inn to get yourself out of the rain? Are you a new student? Or are you looking for some place in particular? I might be able to help you, if it doesn't take long. Tyrina does worry, you know." Litlow shakes his head smiling, "Actually you wouldn't know, since you have never met her. What can I do for you this evening?" Litlow looks up and sneaks another look at the warforge, "Oh yeah, where are my manners, my name is Litlow. And you are?"

Last edited:

Remove ads