Yet another variant hp/damage system...

nsruf

First Post
Somebody (hi, mmadsen) asked about them so here are my house rules for hp and damage. Feel free to rant;)

My premises in creating them were the following (if you change one aspect of the game, several others have to be reconsidered as well):

* hp should reflect actual wounds, blood loss and pain and do not increase with level (except for Con increase, Toughness feat or multiclassing)

* higher level characters become harder to hit instead, as long as they are aware of the attack (i.e they gain a dodge bonus to AC depending on level)

* while armor makes people harder to hit, it also absorbs some damage

* if hp do not scale with level, neither should damage/healing spells

* the changes should be easy to implement, so the rules changes mostly concern calculations made before game sessions (granted, you have to remember Dodge bonus and DR more often, but these are core mechanics after all)

I haven't playtested these rules for very long, but so far they work quite well for my group. However, the PCs are currently 4th level, which means that they had more hp so far than with the regular rules. The ``interesting times'' have just begun for them...

And I should add that these rules were inspired by Ken Hood's Grim'n'Gritty HP rules. So thank you, Ken!

Hitpoints

Any creature has base hp equal to its Con score plus maximum points for a single HD. The result multiplied by a factor depending on size (round down, minimum 1). Creatures without a Con score use Wis instead, those with multiple HD types take their best one.

Size..........Multiplier..Example.........Con...HD...hp
Fine to Small....*........Kobold.(1/2.HD)..11...d8....9
Medium...........1........Human.commoner...11...d4...15
Large............2........Hill.giant.......19...d8...54
Huge.............4........Cloud giant......23...d8..124
Gargantuan.......8........Purple worm......25..d10..280
Colossal........16........Great red wyrm...27..d12..624

* Use the number of HD of the base creature or 1, whichever is worse.
(aka ``not giving haflings the shaft'' rule)

Natural healing: A creature recovers three times the given multiplier in hp per day of rest, modified as usual for medical treatmentn and quality of rest.

Death from hp loss: A creature dies if its hp reach -Con, regardless of size. Stabilization rolls are made on the dying creature's turn.

Death from massive damage: This rule is obsolete for most creatures of medium size or smaller, but may be useful for defeating larger opponents. To account for reduced spell damage (see below), the optional rules for ``death from massive damage based on size'' are not being used, i.e. the threshold is always 50 points of damage from a single attack.

Toughness: The feat Toughness works normally (add 3 hp after the size multiplier) and may still be taken multiple times.

Defense Bonus

Instead of increasing their hp, experienced characters and creatures become harder to hit. This is reflected in their defense bonus (DB), a level-dependent dodge bonus to AC. Any class with either a good BAB progression (+1 per level) or a good Reflex save also uses the good DB progression given below, while all other classes use the bad progression. Multiclass characters add together the bonuses for their classes as usual.

Example: A wizard 4/fighter 2 gains a +2 defense bonus to AC: +1 from having 4 levels as wizard using the bad progression and +1 from having 2 levels as fighter using the good one.

(omitted the table: good progression is 1/2 class level and bad progression is 1/3 class level, both rounded down)

DR from Armor

Armor does not only make a character harder to hit, it also reduces the damage from taking a blow somewhat:

Protection..........DR
Light.armor.........1/-
Medium.armor........2/-
Heavy.armor.........3/-
Magical.armor*.....+1/- per +1 enhancement bonus
Natural armor......+1/- per 4 full points

* Only actual armor, not shields, etc.

DR from other sources is added to these figures.

Example: Consider an 11th level barbarian wearing leather armor +1 and bracers of armor +5. The AC bonuses from the armor and bracers do not stack, so his AC modifier from gear is +5 for the bracers. Still, wearing the armor is useful, as it also grants DR 2/- due to its magical bonus, for a total DR 3/- (including the barbarian's own DR 1/-).

Magic and Special Effects

Magical and other special effects that cause or heal damage are rescaled to fit revised hp:

Attack Spells: If the damage or hp loss caused by a spell depends on caster level, use the spell's level +2 instead. The same holds if a spell allows for multiple attacks or causes damage for a period of time determined by caster level. Other spell effects still depend on caster level.
(using straight caster level makes combat magic too wimpy, IMO - who would use burning hands for 1d4 damage if even a commoner has 15 hp?)

Example 1: Shocking grasp always causes 1d8+3 points of damage (spell level 1 + 2 = 3).

Example 2: Magic missile creates two missiles per casting (spell level 1 + 2 = 3).

Example 3: Melf's acid arrow causes 2d4 points of damage on a hit and on the following turn (spell level 2 + 2 = 4 for one extra turn).

Healing Magic: If the damage recovered or temporary hp gained from a spell depend on caster level, use the spell's level instead. As above, all other spell effects still depend on caster level.

Example 1: Cure medium wounds cast by a cleric heals 2d8+2 points of damage (spell level 2). However, the spell inflicts 2d8+4 points of damage on any undead creature, as it counts as attack spell in this case (spell level 2 + 2 = 4).

Example 2: Among other effects, Tenser's transfromation grants 6d6 temporary hp (spell level 6).

Domain Powers: The +1 bonus to caster level granted by certain domains serves to increase spell effectiveness even if this is now based on spell level.

Magical or Supernatural Effects: Halve the number of dice of damage cured, granted or inflicted by any magical or supernatural effect that is not a spell (round down, minimum 1).

Example: All flaming burst weapons deal 1d10 extra fire damage on a critical hit, regardless of the weapons critical multiplier.

Sneak Attacks: The damage bonus from the sneak attack special ability is equal to the sum of class levels of all classes that grant this ability.

Example: A rogue 8/assassin 2 deals an extra 10 points of damage with a sneak attack.

Other Damage: Weapons and natural hazards deal normal damage. Falling damage is multiplied by a creature's size multiplier for hitpoints, however.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
I think the damage reduction of the heavier armors should be higher. Are you keeping the new toughness feats from MotW the same also? And are crits still being used as the same?

It seems a little odd that characters take the best HD of all thier classes. A wizard takes a single level of Bartbarisn and gains 8 hp.

Other then that the system doesn't look too bad.

nsruf

First Post
Crothian said:
I think the damage reduction of the heavier armors should be higher.

I considered using "armor bonus = DR" like Ken Hood's system first, but then, anybody but a fighter with high Str has trouble hurting people in heavy armor at all. So I decided on this mixed system of full AC bonus and small reduction.

And e.g. having DR 4/- from magical plate armor will at least increase character survivability vs "regular opponents" like orcs and goblins. A dragon can still tear you to shreds, of course.

Are you keeping the new toughness feats from MotW the same also?

I only browsed through the book once at a friend's place, so I don't know what they are, exactly. Could be I have to scale them back when I introduce them to my campaign.

And are crits still being used as the same?

Yes, anything I don't mention stays the same. So a critical with x3 or x4 multiplier can kill even a high-level character with one blow. But this is the kind of realism I want for my campaign.

I should mention that I don't give out "kill XP", but only story awards. If you use a damage system like this, the whole system of CR and EL goes down the drain, of course. I don't think a 20th level party using my rules could stand up to a CR 20 creature without extensive preparation.

It seems a little odd that characters take the best HD of all thier classes. A wizard takes a single level of Bartbarisn and gains 8 hp.

Agreed, I use this rule mainly for sake of simplicity. Averaging the points seemed to much of a hassle and always using 1st lvl HD is unfair, IMO. I see the HD part of hp as an acquired tolerance vs pain that can be trained, even later in life.

I think it is not worse than a wizard picking up lots of weapon and armor proficiencies by taking a single level of fighter - something I don't like very much under the core rules. But if you wanted, you could e.g. limit the hp increase to +2 points per level, until the new, higher HD was reached.

Another thing that becomes rather unelegant is hp progression for monsters that advance through several size categories. E.g. a dragon will hardly progress in hp through the ages but for the extreme "bumps" when it increases in size. But I don't see a fix for that if I want to keep size as a factor.

Other then that the system doesn't look too bad.

mmadsen

First Post
Somebody (hi, mmadsen) asked about them so here are my house rules for hp and damage. Feel free to rant;)

Hi, nsruf; sorry I didn't swing by earlier. If I'd known I'd be free to rant, I'd've been here sooner! ;)

My premises in creating them were the following (if you change one aspect of the game, several others have to be reconsidered as well):
  • hp should reflect actual wounds, blood loss and pain and do not increase with level (except for Con increase, Toughness feat or multiclassing)
  • higher level characters become harder to hit instead, as long as they are aware of the attack (i.e they gain a dodge bonus to AC depending on level)
  • while armor makes people harder to hit, it also absorbs some damage
  • if hp do not scale with level, neither should damage/healing spells
  • the changes should be easy to implement, so the rules changes mostly concern calculations made before game sessions (granted, you have to remember Dodge bonus and DR more often, but these are core mechanics after all)

I actually agree with almost that entire list -- but I'm not sure I see how multiclassing should increase hit points, and I'm not sure that armor should make people harder to hit (if it's going to absorb damage).

Any creature has base hp equal to its Con score plus maximum points for a single HD.

It's pretty common to use Con hit points as a base. Why use max hit points from a single HD though? First, that means that 1st-level Fighters start with a lot of hit points (e.g. 25), and second, it means that a single level of Barbarian or Fighter is worth quite a bit; the hit points are all front-loaded.

The result multiplied by a factor depending on size...

I like to recommend:

Defense = 10 + Ref/Dex bonus + Shield
Damage Resistance = Armor bonus
Hit Points = 10 + Fort/Con bonus + Toughness

Attacks that don't get through DR still do one point of subdual damage.

Larger or smaller creatures can have a larger or smaller hit point base: Small (7), Medium (10), Large (20), doubling every two size levels.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases