Remathilis

Legend
Ok, I need help with a character build.

Basics:

Race: Elf
Class(es): majority rogue
Levels: 16
AL: CG

Help me assemble an awesome rogue (skills, feats, special abilities, PrCs) that is good for a melee rogue. (holds his own in combat, lots of SA)

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Well, lots of SA are no problem at this level, you'll probably want to go the TWF route to get plenty attacks, but your biggest problem will be survivability. :)

Bye
Thanee

Vrecknidj

Explorer
Ftr2/Rgr2/Bbn2/Rog10

BAB +13/+8/+3
Fort +12
Ref +10
Will +3

Why the combat classes?
Fighter: 2d10, 2 extra feats (take weapon finesse and weapon focus (short sword))
Ranger: 2d8, twf combat style, favored enemy (whatever will be useful to you)
Barbarian: 2d12, +10 speed

Feats by level
1 Iron Will (you'll need it)
3 Dodge
6 Mobility
9 Spring Attack
12 Improved TWF
15 Improved Critical

Skills to max out
Tumble, Move Silent, Hide, Listen, Spot

Combat: use two short swords, maximize your use of tumble and spring attack.

Magic items: anything to reduce the likelihood that you're seen, anything to improve your Dex and AC, a weapon that does extra damage (flaming, shock, whatever)--preferrably two.

Dave

sledged

First Post
Two feats I don't go without on any rogue heavy character: Low Blow and Improved Low Blow from the Races of Faerun.

Thanee

First Post
Four feats (including Dodge and Mobility, which at least could be used to also get Spring Attack *shrug*) for the ability to make a single sneak attack against a larger foe each round as a full round action?

Talk about a waste of feats there. :D

Just take Improved Feint, it's much, much cheaper and can be used on equal-sized and smaller opponents, too. And Combat Expertise (the prerequisite) isn't too bad either. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Pretty straightforward...

Barbarian1/Fighter4/Rogue11

Feats: Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Extra Rage, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Two-Bladed Sword, Weapon Focus: Two-Bladed Sword, Weapon Specialization: Two-Bladed Sword, Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting.

Maybe swap something out for Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm?

Special Ability: Crippling Strike or Slippery Mind.

Bye
Thanee

the_bruiser

First Post
Remathilis said:
Ok, I need help with a character build.

Basics:

Race: Elf
Class(es): majority rogue
Levels: 16
AL: CG

Help me assemble an awesome rogue (skills, feats, special abilities, PrCs) that is good for a melee rogue. (holds his own in combat, lots of SA)

Does he have to be an elf? That really makes certain combinations a lot more difficult. If so, then you want rogue 16 or rogue 9 / wizard 7. If you go r/w, get craft want and make a wand or two of improved invisibility, as that gives you sneak attack against people who can't see you. (Not to mention all the other utility spells.)

To be honest, though, at 16th level (in my experience) you're just not going to get THAT many sneak attacks - you'll be fighting a lot of opponents who are immune, or can see you even if invisible, or you'll be forced to make 3 fortitude saves, etc.

If you're willing to consider playing a human, though, I'll personally craft a melee rogue that you'd love :).

xazil

Explorer
Thanee said:
Pretty straightforward...

Barbarian1/Fighter4/Rogue11

Feats: Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Extra Rage, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Two-Bladed Sword, Weapon Focus: Two-Bladed Sword, Weapon Specialization: Two-Bladed Sword, Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting.

Maybe swap something out for Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm?

Special Ability: Crippling Strike or Slippery Mind.

Bye
Thanee

Something similar to this would be to change over two-bladed sword to getting improved critical Light Mace and getting the Lightning Mace Feat from the Complete Warrior. Lots of attacks is lots of chances to get a threat and every threat is another swing, all with sneak attack added on in flanking. :)

gtJormungand

First Post
I'd go for Rogue 11/Invisible Blade 5 (from Complete Warrior). Get enough ranks in Bluff, and thanks to the Invisible Blade's Feint Mastery and Uncanny Feint (which lets you feint as a free action), every attack you use will be a sneak attack. Also, the Invisible Blade gives an additional +3d6 sneak attack, though all of it's abilities require that you use a kukri, throwing dagger, or dagger, but with as much damage as you can do, it's not too important.

the_bruiser

First Post
I just did a back of the envelope workup on a human melee rogue. It's important to me that a rogue not be 'useless' (err... 'highly effective'?) when he can't use his sneak attack.

Using a 32 point buy, I've got to a 37 AC normal, 43 defensive, five attacks, +23/+18/+13 / +22/+17, crits on 15, d6+14 / d6+13 damage, +5d6 sneak attack, ~15 skills in the +12 or better range, etc.

Haven't spent a whole lot of time looking for minor twinks, just a cut. If anybody wants to see the full workup let me know!

Remove ads