Shackled City, "Zenith Trajectory" -- Players' Perspective?

Jeff Wilder

First Post
SPOILERS! This is gonna be an odd thread. I'm a player in the Shackled City adventure path, so there are definitely going to be spoilers. On the other hand, my group and I have only gotten so far as Bhal-Hamatugn in "Zenith Trajectory" (see below), so I'm trying to avoid spoilers of anything in our future. Please help out by being cautious in what you reveal.

BACKGROUND: Until recently, we were four, all 7th-level: a non-spellcasting paladin, a dwarf fighter, a drow rogue/sorcerer (3/2), and me, a cloistered cleric/necromancer/mystic theurge (3/3/1). We worked our way through Jzadirune and the Malachite Fortress pretty well, and actually did very well fighting Triel and her band and recovering the wands of control water.

Because the drow and my theurge are multi-classed, and because we're probably under-equipped for our level (both my DM and I prefer lower-magic games), IMO we've always been less powerful than our levels would indicate. (For instance, until defeating the menace at the Pit of Seven Jaws and attaining 8th-level, my theurge had been limited to 2nd-level spells for four levels.)

Nevertheless, we've so far beat an umber hulk, a young red dragon(!), and a 7-headed cryo-hydra. Either of the latter two, IMO, would be TPK's in the hands of a ruthless DM. But ours is kind, and we survived, albeit barely.

Following the fight at the Pit, our paladin retired to his home, his quest having already been accomplished. (The player took a great job in Seattle, and since the commute would be a bitch, he actually moved up the coast.) So now, until we recruit a fourth player and PC, we are three 8th-level PCs.

THE LEAD-IN: At my suggestion, the drow disguised herself as a kuo-toan cleric and the dwarf and my theurge pretended to be her captives. (We call that "pulling a Chewbacca.") It worked to get the ferryman to let us across the lake, but apparently her disguise (26!) wasn't good enough to fool the guard in the fish-eyes, as we drew fire heading up the stairs. We fought and slew eight kuo-toan soldiers with little trouble.

My theurge interrogated one of the dead fish, and determined that Splintershield was "upstairs" somewhere, so after checking the guard-post in the fish-eyes, we began looking for another way up.

We entered the main shrine to Blibdoolpoolp, which had stairs up, but were driven back by four fish-priests tossing lightning, and four other fish fighting normally. Our only fighter was having some serious problems with the fishes' adhesive shields. So we staged a fighting retreat, and I suggested we deliberately foul the shields with discarded weaponry, to keep the dwarf's axe from being taken from the fight. That worked pretty well and we took out the soldiers. After a rest to heal, we went back to tackle the priests. This time, ready for them, we took them out pretty handily. We took one alive and intimidated him into giving us some information.

THE OTHER SHOE: Yeah ... that's when the erinyes showed up, apparently called by either the statue or actually by Blibdoolpoolp herself. My theurge knows the erinyes was called, not summoned, and therefore has her full abilities. And that's where we left off, with her appearance. None of us are damaged, but I am nearly out of spells, and the drow has few worthwhile spells.

QUESTIONS:

How the hell are we supposed to beat this thing? I dunno exactly, but I know erinyes' are at least CR 8, with probably around 100 hp. My theurge, getting a 30 on his Knowledge (the planes) knows they have good SR, greater teleport, and plenty of immunities.

Not only do I not understand how we're supposed to beat the erinyes after the resource-draining fight against the kuo-toa, but my DM tells me that the adventure is actually designed for 6th-level characters.

So, aside from the question of how do we beat it (as I said, IMO we're weaker and less well-equipped than our levels indicate), how in the world is a 6th-level group supposed to beat it? (It's not as if you can run from something with the ability to go anywhere it wants, at will.) For that matter, how was a 6th-level group supposed to beat an EL 9 red dragon? And an EL 8 7-headed, 21d6-breathing hydra?

I've enjoyed the Shackled City up to this point, but whoever wrote this adventure is on some serious crack. From everything I can tell, unless you've got a very soft-hearted DM, this adventure is an inevitable TPK. It's even reflected in the EL ... if the kuo-toa are EL 9 and the erinyes is EL 9, that's an EL 11 encounter ... five higher than the party, who is supposed to be 6th (or perhaps 7th, by that point in the adventure). By the EL guidelines, that's party death. Why would an adventure writer "script" more or less inevitable character death like that?

Has anyone been through this adventure as a player? What were your experiences? How did you handle these crazy encounters, if you did? Did you get TPKed? Did your DM go easy on you?

What about DMs? Is there information I don't have as a player that mitigates the craziness I do know? (Be careful sharing too much.) Did you take it easy on your players? If not, did they survive? If so, how?

Berandor

lunatic
If you are a ruthless DM, you are going to have at least a PC death in every installment, even near TPK or full TPK. If you are a soft DM, you are going to bring at least one down into the negatives, perhaps kill him.

Ah, the joy of DMing the Adventure Path :D

Big Jake

First Post
As a DM, I ran two groups through the first five adventures. There were times that I felt that I had to go easy on the party, but my players know the rules really well, and they know what most creatures can do, and they get mad at me if I go easy.

It's better to have a TPK in fair combat than to go away knowing that the DM denied you fair combat. (I suppose other groups may disagree.)

We have had several PC deaths. One made a new character, one ressurection, and one reincarnated as a bugbear by the party druid (rolled an 01... I have a witness!).

But no TPK in any situation. I think that the encounter you're describing was the closest they party came to utter destruction. I won't give any spoilers. All I will say is:

Be resourceful. Surprise your DM with your tactics. You can do it.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Big Jake said:
It's better to have a TPK in fair combat than to go away knowing that the DM denied you fair combat. (I suppose other groups may disagree.)

As it happens, I agree. What I don't understand is why the adventure designer would write the likelihood of a TPK -- not just the possibility, but the likelihood -- into an adventure multiple times. It's just bad design, which is a shame, because -- as I said -- I'm enjoying the overall adventure path.

As for using surprising tactics ... well, we just don't have anything left but hit points. Against an enemy with DR, SR, flight, and greater teleport at will, we're quite simply dead meat. (The one possible exception is if we can recruit another player before the next session, which is a real possibility.) It's bad news when even your DM says he doesn't understand how a group is supposed to survive.

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Every party needs
1. A counter for a flying foe
2. A counter for an invisible foe
3. An escape route

And if they're missing one of these, then when they need it, they'll face some serious trouble.

It looks like your party lacks (basically) all of these. You're in trouble.

Surely you have some one-shot items that you were holding in reserve?

Rauol_Duke

First Post
Ah...the Shrine to the Sea Mother. What great memories. One of my players kept track of that combat - it lasted 51 rounds - by far the longest encounter I've ran in 3.0/3.5. :cool:

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
Every party needs
1. A counter for a flying foe
2. A counter for an invisible foe
3. An escape route

And if they're missing one of these, then when they need it, they'll face some serious trouble.

It looks like your party lacks (basically) all of these. You're in trouble.

Surely you have some one-shot items that you were holding in reserve?

Sure, I think I can dig up a potion of clairaudience/clairvoyance or an elixir of swimming. What kind of one-shot items were you thinking of? A scroll of dismissal would sure be nice, but we're fresh out. Ballpark, I'd say we have the equipment of 6th-level characters. (My theurge has substantially more, crafted himself, but none of it is offensive.)

Assume we have a counter to invisibility (faerie fire) and to flying (retreat to close quarters). How does that help us with an erinyes? As for a means of escape ... well, I've never wanted rope trick more in my life, but who knew? Aside from plane-shifting or teleport, the erinyes can follow us anywhere we go, by means of her greater teleport. Hell, she can get where we're going before we do.

My DM made a big deal out of her flaming bow, so one possible option is to sunder it and force her into melee combat, where our dwarf has a shot, even against her DR. It'd be almost impossible to take her down, but he might be able to force her to retreat.

If anyone has any suggestions as to tactics, I don't think my DM would mind (as long as they're not based on stuff we couldn't know in-character.) He's reading this thread, so if he does mind, he can speak up.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Teleport without error is a spell-like ability, right? Don't those provoke AoOs? I would suggest getting into melee with her ASAP, and doing your best to prevent her from using her abilities. If she tries to fly away, grapple her, or trip her if your DM rules that tripping would prevent her from flying.

In fact, that may be your best strategy: have multiple opponents try to grapple her, if you can figure out some way to improve your grapple chances (with enlarge or something like that). If she's grappled she'll have a very difficult time fighting y'all effectively. Of course, she's a great grappler herself, so that'll be difficult.

Or, if your DM is reading this thread, this is for the DM and not for you:
she's lawful evil, right? And many of her servants have been destroyed? Have her bargain with the PCs. She'll spare their lives; in exchange, they'll submit themselves without resistance--failing their saves deliberately--to Charm Monster, becoming her new servants. This can take the game in an entirely new direction, as the PCs become double agents working for the Erinyes, undermining the city and whoever else she dislikes. Eventually, the PCs will be the targets of a Dispel Magic, but until then, if the players are willing, they'll be joining the other team

Maybe actually that should go in a new thread?

Daniel

Our party was higher level when we tackled this. And I we had 5 players playing a cleric, rogue/fighter, rogue, sorcerer and wizard. So we had a lot of magic smack down, also because we had wands of magic missiles, fireballs and what not.

Unfortunately, I can't really give you much inspiration, because we screwed that up terribly and ended up fighting like a dozen kuo toa at once. We prevailed but it cost us a PC.

However, if you choose to run around like a chicken with its head cut off, you might be able to drag the erinyes into combat with other residents of the place. I wont spoil you however, (unless you want me to).

I think I would try to bargain with the erinyes. She's lawful evil. What alignment are the kuo toa?

bbarrington

First Post
My PCs tore these encounters up. If you read JollyDoc's SH I'm the one who mentioned about my party using a Stone Shape to great effect.

Spoiler:
They came in through the secret door in the back which is right next to the base of the huge statue. They Stone Shaped the statues base to a tiny cylinder which caused it topple under its own weight. It took out half the whips and kuo-toan guards on the upper levels. They mopped up the remaing kuo-toans and proceeded to the Kuo-toan cleric's chamber. He was still in the process of putting his armor on when the PCs slaughtered him. By the time the Erinyes shows up the shrine is in shambles and the party is hiding in the clerics chambers waiting for her to be stupid and teleport in. I get here too close to the door and the buffed dwarf tank with a blessed weapon crits her to death. My players are too good sometimes...

Remove ads