Expedition to the Barrier Peaks - your experiences?

Quasqueton

First Post
Twentieth thread of a series on the old classic Dungeons & Dragons adventure modules. It is interesting to see how everyone's experiences compared and differed.

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
s3.jpg

Did you Play or DM this adventure (or both, as some did)? What were your experiences? Did you complete it? What were the highlights for your group?

Quasqueton

Last edited:

JDJarvis

First Post
It is a great adventure I've enjoyed it every time i've played it either ad PC or DM. While it is in essence a straight up dungeon crawl it is all about discovery and exploration in a fashion that often had veterans experience the gee-whiz factor they did when first playing, which is pretty darned amazing for an adventure written for high level characters.

Quasqueton

First Post
diaglo, your statements on liking the "older of the old" covers has now hit rock bottom. When you comment that you like the 1980 logo in the bottom corner of the book better than the 1981 logo, you have proven that you are simply being obnoxious. You are not being old-school, or even very observant.

Every time you have mentioned an older cover for these modules, I've posted the pic of the older cover. I will not do that anymore -- especially not to show a simple logo difference that was only at most a year older. I've tried to post the pics of the most common covers, the ones that most people have seen and remember.

And I will also note that you have never really given any information on your experiences with these adventures. You've simply chimed in to point out that you played or DMed the subject. And to add a comment about something older. "Hey, look at me! I'm old-school!"

Get over yourself. You are not the only "old-school" gamer on this forum. You know this. How about adding something constructive to the forum, rather than just always waving your old-school credentials in everyone's face in every thread. Even hong occasionally adds something useful to threads he posts in.

I have lost respect for you now.

Quasqueton

robberbaron

First Post
Played it with single high (I forget how high) MU.

It was a laugh in places - I remember magic missiling the Wolf-in-Sheep's-Clothing to death (I thought the bunny looked suspicious so blew it away) and nearly died to an Intellect Devourer - but it was quite a good module.

Mind you, this was all while at college in '82 so I may have forgotten the bits I didn't like.

diaglo

Adventurer
Quasqueton said:
Even hong occasionally adds something useful to threads he posts in.

if you read the rest of my posts in your threads instead of focusing on my preference for certain covers. you will see i have added useful info.

I have lost respect for you now.

the feeling is mutual.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Owned it, read it, dreamed of playing in it or running it, but I don't think I ever got to actually do it. One of my greatest (D&D-related) regrets!

janta

First Post
I both DMed this and played it. Of course, since my gaming friends and I were oh, 11 at the time, we didn't really play it right. My main memory of this module is that the fencing android and the wrestling android became our friends and were named John and Eric. (Why they were named this I do not know. And thinking on it further I'm pretty sure the droids developed a crush on one or more of the female PCs.) I don't think we ever actually finished the module though -- we had kind of short attention spans. :)

In later years, I tried to get people to play through it again, but they all cursed me for bringing it up.

--Janta

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I tried to run this as my very first DMing attempt back in high school. My players walked out on me after half an hour. It was another year or two before I tried DMing again, but I never went back to this module.

Remove ads