Elemental Desires

andrew_kenrick

Community Supporter
One of my players (a conjuror) wants to regularly deal with and use elementals, but being a good soul doesn't want to have to compel them to do his bidding. He's asked me what he could use to entice an elemental into helping him - what sorts of services or goods does an elemental covet?

I've tried to think of some, but they're such immaterial beings that I'm having trouble coming up with any! Help!

kolikeos

First Post
andrew_kenrick said:
One of my players (a conjuror) wants to regularly deal with and use elementals, but being a good soul doesn't want to have to compel them to do his bidding. He's asked me what he could use to entice an elemental into helping him - what sorts of services or goods does an elemental covet?

I've tried to think of some, but they're such immaterial beings that I'm having trouble coming up with any! Help!

elementals don't have feelings twords their master... i would of undestood if it was some kind of intelligant creature with a mind similar to a humanoid's, but elements have to be controld through the use of magic.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
An abstract system I've used in my game is that elementals and other spirits have weird and inexplicable desires. The Spell preparation that a wizard does is actually doing a favor for the elemental; in exchange, the elemental agrees to serve the wizard at a later point.

This favor may consist of solving a mathematical equation, of drawing certain pleasing symbols in the air, of burning a certain herb, of doing the funky chicken, or whatever. Spirits and elementals have strange desires :).

Daniel

Spatula

Explorer
kolikeos said:
elementals don't have feelings twords their master... i would of undestood if it was some kind of intelligant creature with a mind similar to a humanoid's, but elements have to be controld through the use of magic.
Elementals are sentient, and are intelligent (although generally not as smart as the average humanoid).

The AD&D Manual of the Planes had informtion on purchasing the services of elementals on their respectives planes. As I recall, fire elementals required rare woods to burn, air elementals asked for unusual incenses, earth elementals valued gemstones, and I can't remember what it was that water elementals wanted. All the above payments had an associated price, i.e. they weren't cheap, commonly available items, although I don't recall the specifics.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases