The village, Yes, it really is that bad

frankthedm

First Post
yahoo movies said:
Drama, Romance, Science Fiction/Fantasy and Thriller
I thought the acting was good. But other wise was a let down and falsely advertised. Save your money.

Too bad there was no fantasy or scifi to this movie

The mentally [edit]deficienct[edit] male stabbing the male lead was a VERY good scene.

The thing in the red cloak is a costume befitting scooby-doo.

The director's self insert wasn't bad. quick bit part, nothing major like in signs.

My gaming group will never forgive me taking them to the midnight showing.

Last edited:

eris404

Explorer
frankthedm said:
I thought the acting was good. But other wise was a let down and falsely advertised. Save your money.
My gaming group will never forgive me taking them to the midnight showing.

I was disappointed, for other reasons. Rather pay attention to the story, which is quite good, I found myself looking for clues as to what was really going on, trying to figure it all out - and it isn't hard to guess what it is. The first half is very good, the acting is excellent, and I think he is able to establish a sense of mounting dread. The film visually is gorgeous. Adrien Brody, Joachim Phoenix and Bryce Dallas Howard are wonderful. There is a genuinely shocking and unexpected moment in story that had the audience gasping (it was very well done). I also think Shyamalan poses interesting moral questions in this movie.

But the second half is clunky: the revelations (such as they are), come too quickly and I kept wishing he had (not a real spoiler, but just in case I'll put it in spoiler tags)
just made a simple monster movie

I'd say rent it or go to a cheap theatre if you want to see it. It isn't a terrible movie, and better than a lot of garbage Hollywood puts out, it's just flawed.

Last edited:

Yeah, early press from the critics have the movie as pretty mediocre too. I was excited to go see it today, but maybe we'll pass and see Bourne Supremacy instead.

buzzard

First Post
I was never sure if I wanted to see it in the first place, and when the Wall Street Journal tore it a new one, that confirmed the skip.

buzzard

wizardneedsfood

First Post
Started off strong, nice slow build. Even the good early part was slow, but I can live with that. Then once the first revelation happened, the collective audience let out a loud groan and basically the film was not entertaining anymore. Like a really bad and long episode of the Twilight Zone.

Kai Lord

Hero
I have to say I too was underwhelmed. I guessed the main twist about halfway through, but only because it was Shyamalan and I knew there'd be a major twist. Its funny, just his involvement with a movie is a major spoiler nowadays. Didn't much care for the twist, particularly because its the kind that gives a movie absolutely ZERO rewatch value.

Some very nice "filmmaking" and outstanding performances, but the story was lacking. In many respects, it was a very slickly polished tease.

Remove ads