Spelljammer d20

Randolpho

First Post
Ok, so I'm a little late getting Dungeon 92, but I just finished reading Spelljammer d20, and, while I'm interested in some of the concepts, I'm also wondering where the rest is.

Is this supposed to be a two-parter?

Seriously, I can't find a thing on how to, say, *use* a spelljammer helm, or how people navigate from planet to planet, or even from system to system.

Other than that, I liked what I saw. Fairly cool stuff. Good setting concept -- not too broad like original spelljammer may have been considered.

Some minor flaws (other than the lack of info I mentioned above): although movement seems to take into account three dimensions (especially within a gravity well), ship combat does not. Space is 3 dimensional, ships will come at you from the top and bottom, as well as the sides, and the denizens of space would have thought of that little tactical gem a long time ago and taken pains to counter it.

So, other than a lack of ability to fire up or down, and a lack of info on how spelljamming actually works, it's a nice Campaign Setting.

Vhane

First Post
I'm still waiting for it to go on sale, I've gotta have it. If your missing anything check to old rules, but since they were really strange anything you made up to fill in the blanks would probably do fine.

Randolpho

First Post
Vhane said:
I'm still waiting for it to go on sale, I've gotta have it. If your missing anything check to old rules, but since they were really strange anything you made up to fill in the blanks would probably do fine.

My point is that I shouldn't have to.... but thanks. :)

Vhane

First Post
Its free (sorta), so its perfectly Ok to not include everything you might need. If what you have is mostly usable, I find that great (as far as Polyhedron is concerned).

Dark Psion

First Post
Think of it as Spelljammer Lite.

Much of what made Spelljammer fun to play is missing from D20 version. They dropped the Imperial Elven Navy verses the Scro and Goblinoids in the UnHuman wars. They miss-identify the Neogi spider ships as Drow, they drop in the Formians when the Thri-Kreen are already there to use. The Gnomes tinker a little, but without Giant space Hamsters they are just not the same. No mention of the Arcane (yes I know they included them as Mercane in the Manual of the Planes, but the name change is just because someone thinks we are too stupid to tell the difference between them and Arcane magic) and traveling between universes, all they had to do is make the Philogston a transitionary plane between different realities, might have sold a few more MoP books that way.

It also bugs me that they include two psionic races in the Enemies section, but do not include Psions or Psychic Warriors in the player's class options.
New House Rule!!
If the players don't get psionics as an option, then the DM can't use psionic using monsters or races either.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
This isn't a "revision" of the existing Spelljammer universe. It's an alternate take. Therefore, it's foolish to say that neogi ships are "mis-identified" as drow. There are no neogi in a Shadow of the Spider Moon campaign (unless you want them there).

The mindflayers and formians in Shadow of a Spider Moon are not psionic unless you want them to be. I suggest using the standard versions of those monsters found in the Monster Manual and not bothering at all with psionics, unless you want to. In that case, there's no reason not to allow psionic character classes in your campaign.

As for getting rid of the stuff that made Spelljammer "fun" (giant space hamsters, tinker gnomes, tons of continuity known only to a miniscule number of players), well, all I can say is that we did that very intentionally, and most people seem ready to thank us for it.

Sorry it wasn't your cup of tea. Thankfully, you have dozens of long-out-of-print "classic" Spelljammer products to use as grist for your Spelljammer campaigns.

--Erik

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Erik, slightly OFF topic, but concerning Dragon 295, will the LGH section in have MORE artifacts? If so, can you give us a hint on which ones?

jaults

First Post
Bringing this back on topic...

OK... I don't have any of the original SJ stuff, and I am not really interested in getting it. I do really like the Shadow of a Spider Moon setting. I have looked on the "official" SJ site and they don't have any of the real basic info that Randolpho and I are looking for...
    For instance:
  • how do you navigate at all?
  • how do you move from one system to another?
  • how do helms work? I know I've read somewhere that they used to drain spellcaster's spells. Are they free to use now?
    Erik, any chance you could point Andy Collins this way to answer these questions?

Thanks!
    Jason

Remove ads