SRD Typo's?

sparxmith

First Post
I've been using the Epic section of the SRD for a campaign. One of the players in the group has a copy of the ELH which I use at the game, but when planning, I use the SRD.

Tonight, one of my players asked me about adding enchantments to an existing weapon. The final product would be a weapon equivalent to +12, currently its a +7. He wanted to know what the cost to upgrade would be. So, I get out my official WotC SRD and see that a +7 weapon costs 980,000. I inform my player that he's got his pricing wrong, then proceed to tell him that the weapon new costs 2,880,000, so just adding the enchantments would cost a cool 1.2 mill. I forwarded him a copy of the Epic section of the SRD, in case he wanted other, more powerful abilities to spend his money on.

Thinking that epic level was expensive, I thought nothing of it, sent the letter, and went take a nap. I wake up to a letter informing that the cost of the weapon is 98k, not 98 mill.

So I get out my DMG, and sure enough it lists the cost of a +7 weapon as 98k. Double checking the SRD, I find that at +6 and beyond, all of the costs are inflated by x10.

So, since I don't have an ELH handy, I need some help double checking epic costs.

Does a +11 weapon cost 2,420,000, or 242,000?

Sorry to be so long winded on such a simple question. Does anybody know of any other typos in the SRD I should be aware of?

Thanx,

Sparxmith

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
You can't look directly at the DMG - it doesn't really handle Epic Levels (and especially not magic items). A +7 weapon (that is as an enhancement bonus) is an epic level bonus, and so uses the Epic Level tables.

From the SRD:
"MARKET PRICE
"Use the guidelines for nonepic magic items to determine the market price of an epic magic item, with one addition: If the item gives a bonus beyond the limit allowed in for normal, nonepic magic items, multiply the portion of the market price derived from that characteristic by 10. Some epic characteristics, such as caster level, don’t trigger this multiplier."

A +11 weapon does cost 2,420,000 gp! The SRD is correct in this instance - I'm not aware of any typos in it that haven't been corrected. If something is wrong after double-checking, Andy Smith probably would like to hear about it. :)

Cheers!

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Expanding my answer:

A weapon with a +7 bonus made up of a +4 enhancement bonus and a +3 bonus from other sources (flaming, shock, keen, etc.) is a non-epic weapon and uses the normal DMG pricing schemes. Thus, 98,000 gp.

A weapon with a +7 bonus made of some epic level quality - either a +6 or +7 enhancement bonus or a +1 weapon with a +6 epic level special ability (e.g. acidic blast) - is epic level and uses the epic level costs. Thus, 980,000 gp.

A weapon with a +11 bonus is only possible under epic level rules and costs 2,420,000 gp.

If you upgrade a normal (non-epic) weapon to the +11 weapon, it changes the cost by 2,322,000 gp. (So, pay that to an artificer, or half that plus a lot of XP to upgrade it yourself).

If you upgrade an epic +7 weapon to the +11 weapon, then the change in price is "only" 1,440,000 gp

Cheers!

sparxmith

First Post
Thanx Merric

Thanks for the quic response Merric. (BTW, I always look forward to your responses. It's nice to see another Magic player on Enworld.)

I guess I was unclear. The +7 I spoke of was cummulative. It actually has a +5 enhancement, and its got two ablities (Bane and Keen) that are +1 enhancment abilities a piece. What the player wants to add is Holy and Speed (+2 and +3, respectively) giving it an effective enhancement of +12.

According to the DMG, a +5 Keen Bane Longsword would cost 98,315 GP (98,000 enchantment costs + 315 weapon costs). According to the SRD the weapon would cost 980,315.

See the problem?

Thanx,

Sparxmith

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Yes, I do. :) I think I've explained it better in my second reply.

If a weapon uses an epic component (+6 or better enhancement bonus, or a +6 or better special quality, or a total bonus adding up to +11 or more) then you use the Epic table, otherwise the standard table.

So, you have a standard (non-epic) weapon with a +5 enhancement bonus and a +2 special quality that costs 98,000 gp. Then, when it becomes epic (with a total bonus of +11), it moves upwards to 2,420,000 gp!

In your character's case, it is the cumulative case of adding so many non-epic abilities that the entire thing breaches the +10 barrier and thus becomes an epic item.

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
sparxmith said:
BTW, I always look forward to your responses. It's nice to see another Magic player on Enworld.

:D

I play so many games these days... Magic, the Dune CCG, Settlers of Catan, Carcassone, San Marco, D&D Miniatures, and of course D&D 3.5E

It means I have to put up with comments on all the boards I frequent that some game I play is inferior... :)

Cheers!

sparxmith

First Post
Thanx Merric,

I didn't realize that the price jump was because of the jump to epic level. So, the price is right as I figured it the first time. I'll email the player and let him know.

I'll have to re-read the epic SRD again.

Thanx Again,

Sparxmith

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Basically it's due to the epic rules... sucking.
I mean really. Who on earth went "I know, lets just multiply all the prices by 10!"?

Darth K'Trava

First Post
MerricB said:
:D

I play so many games these days... Magic, the Dune CCG, Settlers of Catan, Carcassone, San Marco, D&D Miniatures, and of course D&D 3.5E

It means I have to put up with comments on all the boards I frequent that some game I play is inferior... :)

Cheers!

Merric: the font of info. ;)

Whatever game you're playing is inferior! :p

j/k

Calculating epic bonuses can be annoying as heck. Finished playing an epic campaign where my cleric ran around with a +7 Holy Greatsword and a +6 Holy Impact Gauntlet. All stackable through the sword. Nifty. :D

Last edited:

Remove ads