Half-nymph? Half-drow/half-orc? How would you do it?

shadowthorn

First Post
How would you folks break down the stats for a 1) half-nymph and a half-drow/half-orc? I've got some ideas, but I'd like to see other interpretations. Thanks!

pontus

First Post
shadowthorn said:
How would you folks break down the stats for a 1) half-nymph and a half-drow/half-orc?
I wouldn't. For the union between a nymph and a human, I would just roll my percentile dice and assign a 50/50 probability for a nymph or human child.

I don't think drow and orc can actually breed with each other. Only freak species like dragons, outsiders and humans should be capable of the cross-breeding feat.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Elves, orcs, and humans can all produce fertile offspring and are thus the same species; an elf/orc is possible, though IMC they're usually killed at birth.

Of course, pontus or anyone else can simply say "that's not how it works in my world."

For a half-drow, half-orc I'd add the half-drow powers to the half orc, since the half-drow powers are easily added. For other crossbreeds, use your best judgement; I try to limit this IMC.

Artoomis

First Post
I agree with Pontus. I wouldn't allow it. A DM can only allow so many race-combinations before he goes right off the deep end.

BUT - if you do allow it, I'd use one of the standard race blocks with a little extra flavor text.

I know that seems a bit boring, but, frankly, too much flexibility leads to chaos in the game.

I would assume that such characters would be being developed for role-playing reasons, thus rule advantages of that selection should be secondary - that's why I say use a standard race but re-name it and give it a bit of a twist - but don't change the rules much at all. This is the path to sanity.

shadowthorn

First Post
I think I may have caused some confusion. What I'm looking for is:

1) A template for a half-nymph / half-human.

AND

2) A template for a half-drow/half-orc.

These are separate creatures, not a combo.

I already have all the stats for a half-orc, of course, but none for a half-drow - or else I'd already have it figured out.

Thanks again!

Grayswandir

Just a lurker
I wouldn't allow a half-nymph either.

As for a Drow/Orc crossbreed ... Hmm. Firstly, we note from the FRCS that a Half-Drow (half-human) is the same as a Half-Elf (half human) except with darkvision. So a Drow/Orc would be the same as an Elf/Orc, but with Darkvision. Now what does an Elf/Orc look like? Well, look at the Half-Orc. It gets all of the stat mods of a Human (i.e. none), plus some of the stat mods of an Orc. Total: +2 Str, -2 Int, -2 Cha. No other benefits save Darkvision, but Favored Class changes to Barbarian. So an Elf/Orc would have the stat mods of an Elf, plus the extra stat mods for Orc blood. Total: +2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha. Look familiar? Why, yes, those *are* the stat mods for a Wood Elf. Methinks perhaps those elves and orcs don't quite hate each other as much as we always thought they did. A Drow/Orc would then be a Wood Elf with Darkvision.

And yes, I am completely serious about this ... well, maybe half-serious.

Grendel

First Post
none of these creatures have templates, therefore unless you wanted house rule or create them you would have a...
Half-Orc (or)
Half-Drow (or)
Half-Nymph

and it wouldn't matter what the other half was (although it is presumably human, since it is never indicated that other subspecies can interbreed (except those creatures that have a "half" template. Human it appears is the least common denominator)

Mal-2

First Post
Grayswandir said:
Look familiar? Why, yes, those *are* the stat mods for a Wood Elf.

Heh.

I'll take a stab at a half-nymph template:

"Half-Nymph" is a template that can be added to any humanoid creature with a non-evil alignment. The creature's type changes to "Fey." It uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Special Attacks: A half-nymph retains all the special attacks of the base creature and also gains those listed below.
Blinding Beauty (Su): the half-nymph may activate this ability three times per day. For one round, all humanoids within 60 feet of the half-nymph who gaze directly at her must succeed at a Fortitude save (DC 15) or be blinded as per the blindness spell cast by a sorcerer of her level.

Spell-like Abilities: Half-nymphs can use dimension door once per day, as cast by a 7th level caster.

Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +0, Dex +0, Con +0, Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +4.

As a PC, I'd probably call it ECL +2 at first glance, and probably +1 CR.

Mal-2

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases