Why is Eberron being pushed so hard?

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I admit I never really cared for it. I had my Forgotten Realms and my Dragonlance and wa content.

I then recently heard that thier is a new D&D MMORPG coming out and it's set in Eberron. What? Why? Greyhawk and Faerun have dedicated fans and tons of history that legions of fans are familiar with, so why the new kid on the block. I was gonna play it but not now... be playing EQ2 anyways =D

Also I saw a D&D RTS coming out, also set in Eberron, again! I'd love to have an RTS set in Faerun! But nah, New kid on the block again.

What else do I come to learn? Eberron is the new Flagship setting for D&D! Greyhawk to old and boring? Last time I checked none of Eberrons news races are in the PHB. Nor is it's gods.

Meh. Meh I say!

I've read some reviews and I've even flipped through the book. I know it's interesting but does it really deserve to be fed to us so much?

Or am I just an old gamer to set in my classic ways?

DanMcS

Explorer
Now you know how fans of greyhawk (and lots of 2e settings) felt when their favorites were completely dropped in favor of FR for 3e.

Cheer up. At least you're still getting a constant flow of sourcebooks for FR.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
DanMcS said:
Cheer up. At least you're still getting a constant flow of sourcebooks for FR.

At least for now.... :)

I would say its all part of their marketing strategy; of course it has all their eggs in one basket but at the same time TSR showed that having to many baskets was a bad thing also…

I really look to WotC for their generic books, examples: complete warrior and divine, anymore and look for third parties for their settings. :)

As for computer games, not much you can do if you want to play the latest and greatest D&D game.

Frostmarrow

First Post
It's Wizard's first own setting. Forgotten Realms was handed over to them from TSR. Eberron is what came in place of Dominia (The Magic-setting), which was cancelled.

edbonny

Explorer
I am an old gamer too but I don't really notice any difference between the way Eberron is being marketed and the way past worlds published by TSR were marketed. There's been the usual flurry of articles in Dragon and Dungeon (that seem about right when compared to the other closed worlds).

As for PC games, almost all settings got at least one shot to be a video game: Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, Al-Qadim, Dark Sun (which also had a shortlived MMORG, Crimson Sands?), Ravenloft, Birthright and Planescape. And Neverwinter Nights 2 has just been announced so you know the Realms is still going strong.

In fact with Ral Partha out of the mix and D&D miniatures the in thing, Eberron is getting less mini support than in the old days. I really miss collecting all the unique critters and folk from the old settings.

All in all to me it's been pretty much the same.

- Ed

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases