Self-discovery through roleplaying??

Tinner

First Post
What I have learned ...

I have learned that I am essentially a megalomaniacal control freak with some serious authority problems. I am repressed and passive agressive too.
But that could just be because I tend to play a lot of Chaotic Neutral PC's. ;)

DaveStebbins

First Post
No world-shaking epiphany, but it meant something to me...

Not too long after I'd started playing, my friends and i went through our evil phase. Our PCs weren't particularly vile or despicable, but we enjoyed being free of the fetters of doing the right thing. It was fun to do whatever we pleased.

After a while, I began to become bored with the game. The rest of the group was having fun, but something seemed missing to me. I remembered an editorial or opinion piece in an old The Dragon and dug it up.

It talked about the difference between playing good and evil PCs. While playing evil PCs (I guess I should add the disclaimer "within my group") was easy, it bored me because the challenge was taken away. The constraints of playing good PCs make the game more challenging, and more rewarding. Playing the evil PCs had been our way of taking the easy way out, bypassing constraints and expectations. It was fun for a while but, for me, ultimately unfulfilling. Since then, I gave up evil PCs and have pretty much played good or good-leaning PCs.

There are many times in my life when I have reflected back on that mini-epiphany. While doing the right thing isn't always easy or enjoyable, knowing that I am facing up to the challenge makes it personally rewarding.

-Dave
"The truth doesn't hurt unless it ought to." --B.C. Forbes (1880-1954) founder of Forbes magazine

cbaer1

First Post
Fellow Plestron here. Intentional corruption of the word "Playtester" as I recall, as that's how we began. Sorry to hear of Jon Ogden's passing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases