Help build 9th level monk.

MarauderX

Explorer
Darklone said:
If it hasn't been answered yet: Enlarge Person with a polearm with reach gives you 20ft reach, you can't attack at 5ft and 10ft.

Sure you can. Enlarged monks can still kick, right? Take those AoOs with your feet!

Christian

Explorer
two said:
I thought 3.5 cleared it up:

A monk with a reach weapon, when enlarged, threatens 20' with the reach weapon, and 5' and 10' with his natural unarmed strike.

So, the only "dead zone" is at 15'.

Plus, in 3.5 you threaten both ranges simultaneously, because the Monk can keep both hands on the 2-handed weapon and kick for the unarmored strikes.

Is this wrong? I'm not an 3.5 monk expert!

Plus, is just using a feat for a reach weapon less bad than dipping into a Fighter level, which delays lots of monk special abilities? I wonder.

Well, 3.5 did clear it up for most of us ... ;) Check out PH pg. 150, right at the top of the page. A Large creature with 10' reach using a reach weapon threatens at 15' and 20', so there's no 'dead zone' for the Large monk. (Which makes sense, when you consider there's no 'dead zone' for the Medium monk with the reach weapon-she threatens with the weapon at 10' and with her unarmed strikes at 5'.) And the FAQ makes clear that the monk can make attacks of opportunity with either the weapon or her unarmed strikes as desired-she can even mix armed and unarmed attacks with her regular attacks when she's not using her flurry of blows ability. Woo-hoo!

IMO it's better to spend the feat than take a fighter level, even though you don't get that many feats. By taking the fighter level, you gain over the long term one feat, 1/2 a point of Fort save, 1/4 a point of BAB, and two hit points. You give up 1/2 a point each of Reflex and Will save, lose a level of monk abilities (permanently one level behind, and never gaining outsider type, DR 10/magic, and infinite slow fall), and 8 skill points. (You can decrease the skill point cost by whining at your DM until he waives the stupid rule forcing you to take that fighter level first, although this costs you one hit point, on average.) I'd rather be behind on my feat progression than on two of three saves and skill level progression and unarmed damage progression and AC bonus progression and flurry of blows progression and move bonus progression and ... well, you get the idea. :)

Christian

Explorer
Oh, and I forgot to include my take on Spring Attack. In my last campaign, my monk took that feat at 6th, and it is just so unheroic-feeling! Actual exchange from one of our first combats after hitting 6th:

Me: I move out, attack the shadow, then move back behind the cleric.

DM: I'm officially renaming that feat 'Wuss Attack'.

Not again. My next monk will be a half-orc grappler. Now there's some fun! :)

Victim

First Post
The reason many monks have to use spring attack to jump in and out of combat is because they can't hit and do damage. If the monk takes more offensive feats and has a high STR instead of DEX, then you can pound people into the ground with a full attack. High Strength means good grappling attacks too.

If you go with a high strength, then Improved Trip is more effective than disarm. The monk's lower BaB doesn't have an impact on trips but can be disadvantageous when attempting disarms. Also, a monk using unarmed attacks will be hurt by the size bonus/penalty on disarms.

Stunning Fist is usually a better idea than improved grapple. Imp Grapple is an easy feat to get, while Stunning Fist can't be taken until higher level. Also, unless you want to go with Power Attack or a long dodge train, then a monk's first level feat is kind of open; with no base attack, options are limited. So you can easy take Imp Grapple as your normal feat.

I reccomend something like the following build:
Race: half orc (more strength, penalties to only possible monk dump stats)

STR 20
DEX 16
CON 14
INT 11
WIS 17
CHA 9

Consider switching Dex and Con. More HP is always good. Also, when grappling, Dex doesn't help you much.

Feats: (1)Imp Grapple, (M1)Stunning Fist, (M2)Combat Reflexes, (3)Dodge, (M6)Improved Trip, (6)Defensive Throw, (9)Weapon Focus: unarmed

Of course, I don't have Oriental adventures, so there might be better feats there. Still, these feats should work pretty well. With high strength and the feat, you should be able to out grapple most characters, especially wizards. Stunning Fist expands your anti-wizard options - sometimes, it's not a good idea to grapple someone, due to possible sneak attacks.

Defensive Throw lets you make a free trip attack when your dodge target misses you. With good buffs, the monk should have a decent AC. Your enemies' lower iterative attacks become your friend with defensive throw. Also, if you trip on their last attack, the enemy is prone on your turn, giving you a sweet +4 to attack.

Weapon Focus helps make up for your lower base attack. Also, since you have lots of attacks, that +1 adds up. Without any items, the monk's attack will be +12/+12/+7. A handy pair of magic items (+2 STR enhancer and an amulet of mighty fists +1) increase it to +14. Probably about on par with or a hair behind a two weapon guy, except that the monk gets full strength damage on the extra attack.

Skills: at least +14 tumble

Good items: potions of whatever buffs you don't expect the group to give you. Mage armor is a monk's best friend, get it via spells (best) or wands/potions. Shield is also good. Enlarge person is great since it helps your trip and grapple a lot too.

A monk's belt is probably the best big ticket item for this character, but a bunch of low end ability boosters, AC increases, resistance thingy and an amulet of mighty fists would work just as well or better.

I've been playing a character like this up to 7th level so far and it's been working out for me. In mock battles, I've beaten the other fighting types in my group.

Victim

First Post
Darklone said:
Victim: I'd even think about Con 16 and Dex 14.

I did:
"Consider switching Dex and Con. More HP is always good. Also, when grappling, Dex doesn't help you much."

Without knowing what kind of support he can expect from the group though, it's hard to decide. The more buffing spells you can get, the more important CON is, since the AC boost from spells will outweigh the lower starting AC.

Remove ads