Dragons of Autumn Twilight - Much Enjoying

msd

First Post
I have never read any of the Dragonlance books before. Someone recommended that the best place to start was Dragons of Autumn Twlight.

I have to say, I am thus far enjoying the book immensely. Most fantasy books/series seem (strictly IMHO) to fall into one of two camps:

1) They seem to have been written as part of a 7th grade writing assignment
2) The writer was attempting to imitate Tolkien and thought the best way to do that was to include hundreds if not thousands of names of places, people, etc.

As this (at least at this point) seems to be neither, it is really refreshing to me...

Thoughts? Am I way off on this one? Will I enjoy the Dragonlance series immensely if I like this one?

Thanks in advance for all replies,
matt

Tkolhoff

Explorer
I loved the original books from Dragon Lance. However, the saving the world from some for of cataclsym got really old after the 6th - 7th book, it was either that or a huge war. So I stopped reading them. I do recommend the first three! They were great.

CrusaderX

First Post
Dragons of Autumn Twilight was the weakest book in the original two trilogies, IMO, so it only gets better from here. ;)

But you're going to get alot of folks who tell you to stop reading Dragonlance after the first two trilogies (Chronicles and Legends). And I'd agree with them.

A six-book run is a nice run. The story doesn't need to drag on any further (and plummet in quality) with additional books.

Mimic

First Post
I have read the first original books at least a dozen times, if not more. I loved everything about these books, the relationships between the characters, the history everything.

Every character grows through the stories, even Tasselhoff (which surprised me considering he is the comic relief) and I always get depressed during a certain part, even though I know it's coming.

I think I am going to go read it again.

P.S. Have to agree with CrusaderX, just read the first two trilogies. After that it starts to slide.

Last edited:

KenM

Banned
Banned
I read the orginal Dragonlance trilogy, War of the Lance I think its called. is the second trilogy, the brother's books, really as good as the first?

ShadowX

First Post
KenM said:
I read the orginal Dragonlance trilogy, War of the Lance I think its called. is the second trilogy, the brother's books, really as good as the first?

Better IMO. How is the newest trilogy?

Starman

Adventurer
I was disappointed with the War of Souls trilogy. One of the best parts of the original two trilogies was the camaraderie between the Companions of the Lance. War of Souls had none of that. In fact, I didn't really care for most of the characters.

Starman

Last edited:

Pozatronic

First Post
Autumn Twilight is definetly the weakest of the original three. Winter Night is my favorite but Spring Dawning is up there. I'm kind of a fantasy snob, but these were the first fantasy novels I ever read and I read them every few years. I still have the original mass markets with the original Elmore art on them. It's a fantastic trilogy and In my opinion would make great movies...if only Hasbro would spend money on that instead of another horrible Dungeon & Dragons movie. If only. :\

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases