Sleep deprivation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Sleep deprivation

What rules are there for not getting enough or proper sleep, aside from being unable to prepare spells? I need to know what the penalties for sleeplessness are.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

The character would be considered "fatigued". A fatigued character can't run or charge, and suffers an effective -2 penalty to Strength and Dexterity. Fatigued characters are back to normal after 8 hours of complete rest.

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

I'd suppose we're talking Fatigued (-2 Str & Dex, no running or charging), or in extreme cases Exhausted (-6 Str & Dex, movement halved).

Novice (Lvl 1)

I believe theres a catagory passed that as well: Exhausted -6 to Str and Dex, one hour of rest will take you to just "fatigued".

What about staying up for more than a day or so? What types of checks are required? And I'd think that after a while, people would get massive penalties to Int and Wis skills. No official rules on this?

Novice (Lvl 1)

Im at work so dont have books, but there are rules for taking subdual damage for really overdoing it (I belive in the area of running and horses).

Advanced sleep dep. also involves the symptoms of insanity, so the detrimental rules for that from RttToEE might help( you become far less able to respond to you surroundings) its in the back under the preisthood section.

Eventually you go insane and die from it, not from insomnia but true sleep dep.

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

No, I don't think so.
    The only things I can remember about not sleeping well is the part about sleeping in armour, in the equipment chapter, and force marching, under the movement section in the adventuring chapter.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Originally posted by Henrix
    No, I don't think so.
    The only things I can remember about not sleeping well is the part about sleeping in armour, in the equipment chapter, and force marching, under the movement section in the adventuring chapter.
    Yup. Eventually you just take so much subdual that you pass out, and quite possibly, kick the proverbial bucket.

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

If this were real life, wisdom would drop precipitously. After 48 hours, you'd have to make a will save at a mounting DC or be considered dazed.

Hey, Piratecat, that'd be a great thing for you to write. Rules on sleep deprivation. You're an expert, so would you want to write a little article for Asgard?

Quick Reply Quick Reply