The Common Commoner

LostSoul

Adventurer
Kamikaze Midget said:
Just like there's no reason for a fighter in D&D not to chop down every tree he sees in a day with his axes. NO REASON. None.

Well, cutting down trees takes time and effort, and if that's all he does every day, he isn't going to be able to feed himself. (Unless he sells the wood, in which case he's a woodcutter. Hopefully he won't marry that mean woman who doesn't like kids.)

Spellcasting takes very little time and effort.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Well, cutting down trees takes time and effort, and if that's all he does every day, he isn't going to be able to feed himself. (Unless he sells the wood, in which case he's a woodcutter. Hopefully he won't marry that mean woman who doesn't like kids.)

Spellcasting takes very little time and effort.
Says who? So chopping down a tree takes time, whereas spellcasting doesn't, I'll give you that. But in that one instance, casting a spell could be just as draining as cutting down a tree.

Similarly, anyone could swing around a greatsword all day, at no penalty. And there's NO REASON they can't. It even takes as much time as casting a spell. But swinging around a 6-foot hunk of sharpened metal takes time and effort, just like casting a spell. In fact, because casting a spell can be done less, one could say that it takes *more* effort, and the reason they *can't* cast more is because if they did, then they *would* experience mechanical penalties.

In my mind, something you only have the mental ability to do once per day is going to obliterate your body and mind so much so that it requires rest to heal. That's not effortless. That's considerably *more* effort than the time would indicate.

Just as a side note, in Nyambe: African Adventures, diseases are given SR. An excellent idea, imho, and one which I use. Some things are just harder to cure, even using magic.
I use this rule too, and I'd encourage those who use disease instead of monsters as the mitigating factor to do so, lest cure disease makes the first cleric with it into a saint. ;)

I don't know about that. Watching the news (or reading it online) I fairly regularly come across stories like the Norwegian fishing boat captain who, seeing rather large shark coming after his catch while the men were pulling it into the boat, jumped into the water, dragged the shark onto the beach and killed it with a knife. And then there are stories like the scottish regiment in Iraq who were surrounded by enemies who outnumbered them 2 or 3 to one, pinned down by enemy fire, and out of ammunition so they fixed bayonets, charged, and routed their enemies at the cost of only a couple minor injuries.

If you don't feel the need to assume that 100 hit points represents the abilitiy to take 10 full-strength blows from a greatsword and are willing to suppose that some of them represent minor damage, luck, etc, I don't find D&D characters to be as unrealistic as commonly supposed. Certainly, there are people as touch as a 2nd level expert.
In any situation in D&D (exept maybe skill checks) there is a 5% chance of collossall, lucky success, and a 5% chance of collossall, unlucky fate. With how many millions of people in the world, how often do you think that 5% chance comes up daily? We have the Darwin Awards. We have that guy who cut off his own arm to save his life. These aren't impossible for low-level mooks, but they are rare, special, and significant...just like the shark-wrestler and the scottish regiment.

Certainly it's a matter of taste and there's no way either of us can be proven to be right. ;) But I generally veiw the entire world around us as 1st levelers in D&D terms...I don't personally know many folks who could survive getting a six foot hunk of metal embedded in their face, and those that do...well, they got lucky. :)

Last edited:

VirgilCaine

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
Right but the world has plenty of idiots in it. Thats why guys sell watches on streetcorners. And there are always the kind of items that wizards' guilds don't sell (ie stolen or illegal items) that will sometimes tempt adventurers. In the real world, there's a market for stolen high price goods, likewise in the fantasy world.

Yes, but adventurers risk their lives for a living. The ones who can afford magic items are smart enough not to buy anything without a guarantee--they bled for that gold, and their companions might have died for it. I think they'd pay a little more attention. You have a point though.

Umbra

First Post
Raven Crowking said:
Just as a side note, in Nyambe: African Adventures, diseases are given SR. An excellent idea, imho, and one which I use. Some things are just harder to cure, even using magic. RC
Great idea.
And I would think any cleric would make it a priority to cure such a disease to stop it spreading. Look at the extra precautions taken by real world doctors with diseases resistant to treatment.

DarkMaster

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
Certainly it's a matter of taste and there's no way either of us can be proven to be right. ;) But I generally veiw the entire world around us as 1st levelers in D&D terms...I don't personally know many folks who could survive getting a six foot hunk of metal embedded in their face, and those that do...well, they got lucky. :)
Well even a 20 level barbarian with 20+ Con would probably not survive. Most of the PC HP do not represent it's ability to withstand corporal damage.

The same blow from the 6 foot hunk (Let's say it does 10dmg) of metal would have blown most commoner head, and they would have die a few seconds later and a very few lucky would have survived but barely (Stabilise).

but the 20 level barbarian with 230hp and a DR of 4 or 5 has been fighting for years, he knows all the trick, he will always position himself to reduce the effectiveness of every blown landed towards him, he anticipates his enemies move, he knows how to make each and every action count so that he waste as least as possible energy on each action, ect. So the same blow will not even touch him or make a small scrach on his nose. The lose of 5 HP will reflect more accumulated fatigue from this sudden action then real corporal damage.

After receiving for 225 DMG he will then be exhausted probably bleeding from various injury but none would be major, but it's concentration and physical energy would be quite down from all these combat he went through, So he would be more prone to commit mistake or lack the appropriate reflex to dodge that last fatal blow.

IMC my PC only receives a serious body blow when they reach 0 hp, a Coup de Grace (which I tend to allow more easily then described in the SRD), or massive damage.

If the 20 level Barbarian receives for 40 hp damage, his opponent pull out a maneuvre that would have kill any low level barbarian, but he managed to dodge, maybe getting a minor wound from it. Also notice how poison works they affect directly constitution and not hp. BAB is the offensive part of your fighting capability and HP AC and DR represent your own defensive capability.

All of them will make you a good fighter.

VirgilCaine said:
Elder-Basilisk said:
Right but the world has plenty of idiots in it. Thats why guys sell watches on streetcorners. And there are always the kind of items that wizards' guilds don't sell (ie stolen or illegal items) that will sometimes tempt adventurers. In the real world, there's a market for stolen high price goods, likewise in the fantasy world.

Yes, but adventurers risk their lives for a living. The ones who can afford magic items are smart enough not to buy anything without a guarantee--they bled for that gold, and their companions might have died for it. I think they'd pay a little more attention. You have a point though.

LOL! You *really* need to meet the people I game with. I don't mean this group, I mean *every* group I game with. My {diety}, but they do some of the dumbest things! Not all of them, but there are always a few where the phrase "the ones who can afford magic items are smart enough.." usually ends in laughter.

Luck, a good sword hand, and staying near people who think can get you cash. Using it wisely, feh.

Besides, I can guarantee you that the keyboard you're using is magic. Hold on I'll use my Arcane Sight spell......Yep, that's magic!

Stupidity is there to be taken advantage of, and it is. All the time, all over the world.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
While I agree with the 'hp represents a form of endurance' idea, I don't know many folks who could turn a greatsword to the face into a glancing blow, either.;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases