Looking for advice on a setting

Loric

First Post
Having looked over several of the campaign settings available from the mass of D20 publishers, I have narrowed it down one of three or four settings: Erde (troll lord games), Arcanis (paradigm concepts), Scarred Lands (sword and sorcery), and Iron Kingdoms (privateer press). Each has something enjoyable and unique about them. Is anyone playing in any of those settings, and if so what are your impressions? Just looking for a little advice before I start spending tons of money.

I live in germany so going to the local game store and browsing is simply not an option for me, so anything I buy is sight unseen, hence the need for advice.

Thanks
Loric

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
One man's opinion.

I'm going to be objective about this...at least as much as I can! :)

1) Erde: I've read a little about. It seems fairly interesting but I cannot honestly make a valid assessment at this point since I don't have as many TL products as I like to judge Erde.

2. Arcansis: I have looked over, at least at the site. It's nice and certainly well thought out. Reminds me a lot of a combination GH and Romansque style of running a world. Certainly one of those that is not only different BUT also has a lot going for it, especially if you like Freeport.

3. Iron Kindgoms: This one I haven't gotten into much but I do remember it being based off a series of books. Honestly I cannot say I favor a campaign with guns in it...but then again it's up to you.

4. The Scarred Lands: Now this one I say has a lot of strengths but a weak technical weaknesses too. Strengths: Complex characters, not just about good versus evil, highlights the differences in divine magics as well arcane as well, has a plethora of unique monsters, spells, magic items, and interesting places. Weakeness: Maps aren't always that good, and some times not enough of them in some supplements, no adventures for it, (YET), some of the older products have some errors (but what product is error free I ask you?), and can be a little confusing if you're not used to using more story based plots than actual number crunches.

Still I favor the Scarred Lands. It really focues on classes that, for the most part, most campaign worlds don't ulitize well enough. Plus Hollowfaust IS probably one of the more intriging cities in recent fantasy history. So I guess I'd say Scarred Lands

If you asking, have I played there? No. I've tried running it...but so far not a warm reception from my players (Course these guys don't like ANY d20 product EXCEPT Necromancer Game stuff.)

I'm playing Iron Kingdoms right now, and I like the "fantasy with a twist" that the folks at Privateer Press have. However, you don't really have a setting yet, you realise, just some modules and some info on the web page. The setting is still some months off, if I recall.

A2Z

Explorer
I'm acctually DMing Joshua's game. I like the Iron Kingdoms, and while it's true that the actual setting is a ways off yet I think the adventures have enough supplemental information to get a game off the ground. If your looking for lots of social and political information than you may be disappointed. However, if your willing to wing it for awhile I think it'd be more than possible to run a campaign in the Iron Kingdoms. I'm counting on it acctually. ;)

[Plug] If you want to get an idea of how the adventures play out check out my story hour (link in sig). Just beware SPOILERS if you're going to be a player.[/Plug]

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I think right now, some of those settings don't have setting books out yet.

The Iron Kingdoms has some modules, but the setting book has been delayed to November, I think. While many people love their modules, I think they are hard to use out of their setting, and they don't include enough info on the setting to let you run a game in it without a lot of work.

The Scarred Lands has a mini-Gazetteer (that is not an easy word to spell) out, and well as several regional books, but I'm not sure it has one large book that describes the setting. Fairly neat setting, though. Hollowfaust reminds me of a city out of the old Bloodshadows game.

Haven't seen enough of Erde or Arcanis to comment

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
trancejeremy said:
The Scarred Lands has a mini-Gazetteer (that is not an easy word to spell) out, and well as several regional books, but I'm not sure it has one large book that describes the setting. Fairly neat setting, though. Hollowfaust reminds me of a city out of the old Bloodshadows game.

Well the Ghelspad HC WILL becoming out in June. I imagine THAT will qualify as a BIG book to describe the setting, even if it's just ONE continent (Heck so are ALL the WotC/TSR settings!)

NeuroZombie

Explorer
3. Iron Kindgoms: This one I haven't gotten into much but I do remember it being based off a series of books. Honestly I cannot say I favor a campaign with guns in it...but then again it's up to you.

If you are referring to the Witchfire novels in the Banned and the Banished series, than they are not (I believe, only read the first one) related to the Iron Kingdoms.

As for playing the IK adventures in another setting, the first one works fine (have yet to read the others) and it would be very easy to get rid of the guns and makethe Steamjacks just typical golems.

Grraf

First Post
Definitely Scarred Lands.

To be honest you do need to be a bit creative but the Serpent Amphora (free download from the SL site) should give you a decent starting point.

It does have a big "meta-plot" I'm planning on starting a game at somepoint though and the metaplot is so big that its more like a background. I don't think I'd ever directly involve the PCs in anything related to the gods or the titians, just titan cults and godly intrigue.

Nessessary reading:
The Gazatteer. (or you can wait a month or two and get the big hardcover coming out)

Recommended reading:
(unfortunately) the DM's companion that comes with the Scarred Lands DM screen. Its good for PCs races and ideas about the world. The adventures are kind of worthless. Its actually a pretty good screen but its frustrating to have to buy it if you aren't a screen type.
The Divine and the Defeated. Its hardcover, it gives a full history and a lot of hooks to let the PCs interact with the world. Also its recent and IMHO was edited extremely well. Few typos, few inconsistencies, strong worldview, good idea of the overall setting.
The Creature Collection (I like the first one, oddly enough almost everyone likes the second). Though there are a few monsters that are just pointless (like 3 or 4 dead child-moster ghost things) almost every creature is its own adventure and many provide a good idea about the world.
Relics and Rituals is also actually a great book for understanding the world (and it plugs a bunch of holes in the spell lists for the various classes). The whole thing is kind of a giant story about the scarred lands told spell by spell and object by object.

The CHEAPO route (i.e. you don't want to blow a lot of money)
Hollowfaust is a great book (as mentioned before). If the setting of a necromantic (but not evil) city appeals to you you could almost just buy it (and maybe the DM screen to see how they've changed the PC races, histories, etc) and hang tough until the hard-cover comes out. There's enough in there for a full campaign and the adventure hooks were the best of the three city books out so far.

PS I'd read the Mithril book over very carefully before buying it. Though its seems like it would be a great starting point for a game (and it should have been) I found it to be pretty unfortunate. Unless the city really appeals to you your money is better spent elsewhere. Wrote a review of it recently, see that for more.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases