[Races of Stone] Mountain Plate - Typo?

The Souljourner

First Post
Two things strike me as really really wrong with Mountain Plate - the first is the weight - 225 lbs!? That's into heavy encumbrance even for strength 18! And only 75 lbs away from your total weight limit. Anyone else think maybe this is supposed to be 125 pounds? It would still be the heaviest armor in D&D (tied with battle plate).

And what about the movement reduction? Reducing movement by half, even dwarves? Who is really going to want to play a character who can only move 10'? 20' max in a round? I think making it weigh something like 150 and not being able to run would be fine. Adding that it reduces your movement by half just makes it useless, IMO, especially when Battle plate is right there, with no drawback whatsoever.

-The Souljourner

Last edited:

xazil

Explorer
I just read it as "Okay here is the absolute most nusto heavy armor there is. A superheavy class armor." Basically anyone who wants to spend the feats can be looking into either Mithril Mountain plate or Battleplate + Dexterity item.

The Souljourner

First Post
It's just not enough better than battle plate to justify the extreme drawbacks. If you have a +2 dex item, it's exactly the same. if they'd made it 11 AC or something, then maybe, ok.

-The Souljourner

xazil

Explorer
Caliban said:
And in what book or supplement is "mountain" or "battle" plate found?

They can be found in Races of Stone.

As I mentioned its nice that they have made an armor thats the top of its type, gives precedence if other books include extremely heavy armor.

I was looking at Mountain plate for my Psywar who can now used expansion to reach size huge along with its -4 Dex penalty. But at the cost of a feat...

The Souljourner

First Post
Lots of neat armory psionic feats - focused shield for +1 to your shield bonus while focused, and deflective armor is amazing... adding your armor bonus to your touch AC! Quite the shocker when the wizard tries to nail you with a disintegrate... yeah? try hitting AC 20! Not to mention it being a help against grapples. At least they have *some* chance of failing then.

Very cool.

-The Souljourner

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
The Souljourner said:
Who is really going to want to play a character who can only move 10'? 20' max in a round?
Perhaps no player will want it, but it could be decently useful for certain NPC types. Dwarven defender NPCs especially might want it, because they tend not to move around much anyway.

monboesen

Explorer
A so drastic movement drop will leave most enemies able to do one type of ranged attack (spell or weapon) and a move action to stay their distance. Don't really see the advantage in that. You will just shot to dead, slowly, but without options to strike back exept for your own ranged attacks.

xazil

Explorer
monboesen said:
A so drastic movement drop will leave most enemies able to do one type of ranged attack (spell or weapon) and a move action to stay their distance. Don't really see the advantage in that. You will just shot to dead, slowly, but without options to strike back exept for your own ranged attacks.

Yes, but with dimensional slide and dimension door available to them a Psywar pretty much is a ranged weapon. :D

Also if you get mithril then the armor only counts as normal heavy armor.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases