Size of a Goliath's Greathammer (beware - math)

The Souljourner

First Post
Ok, so I was trying to figure out how big a goliath's greathammer is, based on the weight. Large weapons weigh twice as much as medium weapons. Medium Goliath Greathammers weigh 30 pounds (this is from memory, so if I'm wrong, let me know) so a large one would be 60.

Density of steel, according to some random website is 490 pounds per cubic foot (dayum!).

60/490 = 0.12244897959183673469387755102041 (yay windows calculator cut & paste)

12" * 12" * 12" = 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot

1728 * 0.12244897959183673469387755102041 = ~212 cubic inches

Which is a rectangular solid about 8.5 inches wide with a 5 inch square face. That's not a huge piece of metal... am I doing some of this math incorrectly, or what? I expected this 60 pound slab of steel to be a lot bigger... this sounds like it's barely bigger than a normal sledgehammer.

-The Souljourner

Gnimish88

First Post
Well, having swung around a 20 lb sledge hammer, I would say that 5x5x8.5 sounds about right, though I don't know if the iron used in sledge hammers is much different then steel

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
The Souljourner said:
Which is a rectangular solid about 8.5 inches wide with a 5 inch square face. That's not a huge piece of metal... am I doing some of this math incorrectly, or what? I expected this 60 pound slab of steel to be a lot bigger... this sounds like it's barely bigger than a normal sledgehammer.

-The Souljourner

First, remember some of the weight will be in the handle. I have no idea how much a standard sledge's handle weighs, but it should be twice that. So, the head's even smaller.

Second, sledge hammers really aren't that big. I'm not even sure if they get above a 3" x 3" face.

Brad

The Souljourner

First Post
Yeah, I know some of the weight will be the handle, I was just neglecting it cuz it's easier.

Let's try a 20lb. sledge.... it should be 1/3 the volume of the greathammer, since it's 1/3 the weight and same density... so 212/3 = ~71. That's like 3x3x8... reasonable, I think.

Man, that steel is some dense. :)

-The Souljourner

Psimancer

First Post
Don’t know if this helps, but if a large weapon weighs twice as much as a medium weapon, then it is a 25% increase in dimensions (1.25 ^ 3 = ~2)… so if you know the size of the medium version, you can get an estimation on the size of a large one...

Remove ads