Movie STATS - Alien VS Predator

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Hi all,

I thought it would be fun and entertaining to make movie stats for some popular creatures of film. Not only for the geek satisfaction of D&D fans everywhere, but incase you may decide to use them to challenge your party members for a bit of fun.

To start out this line of threads, I thought that in honor of the soon to be classic movie we would start out with Aliens and Predators from movies of the same name. I am in the process of moving, so I can't spend to much time on this until after September 1, although I can check back to chime in, so rather than me creating all the base stats, I thought I would open the thread for everyone to add their two cents and we can create them as a community, a geek community, but a community none the less.

So, be respectfully of others suggestions but don't be afraid to post what you think. I have read some of the books, but I will admit that it has been a while, so I can't even be accurate in all respects.

Aliens
The Aliens are nothing more than a creature that comes from a pod, lays its egg inside another mammal, and then dies. The creature itself is not that tough, just hard to get off of the person so embraced. While it would be beneficial to make stats for these as well, most of the fun that a DM will have is in the template of the Alien host that is the result of the Alien creature, thus, the Alien has a need of three different stats, one for the pod impregnator, one for the resulting template for the alien, and one template for the rare queen.

Obviously the aliens have acid for blood, they all seem to have remarkable climb and jumping skills and the ability to grapple very well. The pods creatures are very smart, being able to tell when they are, or the one they are impregnating, are in damager, so they have at least a 3 INT, most likely higher.

The Aliens seem to have a hive mind, they seem to be able to communicate telepathically with each other and let's not forget the queen, who is bigger and badder and can lay eggs.

They obviously have an immunity to acid, but also to cold. They appear to have rather long life spans.

Predators
Predators live for the hunt. They are skilled hunters and seem to have great resources at their disposal to meet this end. I think it would be safe to say that they have some of the finest weapons known to man. Most would be, in D&D, made of mithral or adamantine, although, I am sure that they would have at least one cold iron and one silver weapon to get through different damage reductions, perhaps on different ends of thier blades staffs. I think it would also be safe to assume that they would have a way to align the weapon to good or evil for the same purpose.

If ever their was a race that was true neutral, I would say it would be the Predators. They don't care who you are; they only care about the hunt. They have an honor code that they live by, if you are wounded by illness, they will not hunt you unless you hunt them. They are only interested in hunting prey that can give them a challenge.

The Predators would be a race, not a template, and it would have mostly fighter levels or some type of hunting class as a favored class.

I figure that both should be a CR of about 10, what do you guys think?

I have laid down some basics; let's hear from you, what would you add?

movement?
ac?
special abilities?
etc?

I think someone may have already done some conversions for these...can't remember name, but I know a guy on ENWorld did a d20 Modern-eque Terminator and a bunch of others. I think Alien may have been another...

DM-Rocco

Explorer
well, no biggy if it was done before, I just thought it would be fun to do.

If anyone knows of the other thread, feel free to post it and then we can discuss if we would change them a bit.

HeavyG

First Post
DM-Rocco said:
They have an honor code that they live by, if you are wounded by illness, they will not hunt you unless you hunt them.

I've always wondered what was up with that ? Wouldn't it make more sense for hunters to kill those, really ? Culling the herd and all that ?

Bauglir

First Post
HeavyG said:
I've always wondered what was up with that ? Wouldn't it make more sense for hunters to kill those, really ? Culling the herd and all that ?

They hunt for the challenge, and the honour of besting that challenge. There is no honour in defeating a foe who is unable to fight back or even flee effectively.

HeavyG

First Post
Bauglir said:
They hunt for the challenge

Makes sense. But then maybe they shouldn't be using invisibility technology and auto-targetting lasers. :D

We had a talk about this at Nothingland a few weeks ago. The Predator in Predator 2 seemed much more willing to test his skills than the one in the first movie.

There was an Alien spoof adventure in an old Dungeon magazine. Low level. Had "Jacob's Well" in the title. It was very good, IIRC. Featured a
Slaad

Dismas

First Post
DM-Rocco said:
well, no biggy if it was done before, I just thought it would be fun to do.

If anyone knows of the other thread, feel free to post it and then we can discuss if we would change them a bit.

http://michael.tresca.net/ under freebies. PDF's covering the following

D20 MODERN

* Aliens: Game Over
* Evil Dead: Swallow This!
* Friday the 13th: Resurrection
* Ghostbusters: Who Ya Gonna Call?
* The Matrix: Only Human
* Predator: Cazador de Trofoes
* Terminator: Future Fate
* The Thing: Who Goes There?

D20 FANTASY

* Evil Dead: Swallow This!
* Krull

OTHER

* Dark City
* Druids: The Real History
* The Mummy
* Mystery Men

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Dismas said:
http://michael.tresca.net/ under freebies. PDF's covering the following
Intersting stuff, there is some good setting information, which I'm assuming was taken from the AVP video games and/or comic books. I do think the game mechanics need work. Extra-terrestrials, for example, would not be considered outsiders. It would make more sense for predators to be humanoids or monstrous humanoids while aliens would almost certainly be aberrations.

It is odd how special abilities are not listed with each monster entry, nor are they described at the beginning of the section on them as a speciaes trait. There are some special abilities in there that aren't really special abilities and other areas where special abilities that are listed in one area aren't listed in another. Level adjustments, not ECL should be listed under versions for PC races. I think predators should be given racial hit dice.

I'd call it a good start, but certainly not usable material in its present form.

Last edited:

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Aside from that, I think that aliens as templates doesn't make a lot of sense. It is true that aliens inherit some of the DNA from their hosts, but that does not mean that the host becomes the alien. Instead, I think it makes the most sense to give certain modifiers based on the host creature. The host creature would actually be considered the template that would be added to the alien creature.

For example, an alien that gestates inside of a human would be the standard monster entry. One from a cougar might get quadruped (+10 feet to speed), +2 to Dex, +4 racial bonus to Balance checks. An alien from a house cat might get all f those things, but lack a racial hit dice and be one size smaller.

mafisto

First Post
HeavyG said:
Makes sense. But then maybe they shouldn't be using invisibility technology and auto-targetting lasers. :D

We had a talk about this at Nothingland a few weeks ago. The Predator in Predator 2 seemed much more willing to test his skills than the one in the first movie.
Well, there are people that think that hunting deer with assault rifles is 'sport', and those who wouldn't stoop to anything more high-tech than a bow and arrow. My guess is that the first Predator was a redneck who just liked blowing stuff up - like a guy I knew who would 'fish' by throwing dynamite into a lake.

Go redneck Predator!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases