DMs: How many (city) encounters do you have in 1 game day? or "PCs in Cities"

dreaded_beast

First Post
Right now I am running a Forgotten Realms game set in Tilverton, on the edge of Cormyr. This is before Tilverton got all blown up.

Anyways, last session I had around 5 or 6 "encounters", some that related directly with the adventure, some that came about from PCs previous actions, and some that were adventure hooks. These encounters were mixed between fighting and roleplaying and took place within the city of Tilverton.

At this rate, my players will gain levels fairly quickly, which I don't mind. However, I don't want my players to feel "bombarded" with encounters in the city, since they may start to feel like the cities are no longer safe places (most of the time) to rest.

For myself, I love cities since there are so many possible things to do there, than just "rest" and "buy stuff". How do you handle "encounters" in cities or just PCs in cities in general?

poilbrun

Explorer
pogre said:
I'm like you - I keep things flying at them. It helps convey the bustling nature of the city.
Same thing here, except when they're in the city for downtime... City adventures are great fun, since I can throw many encounters completely unrelated to the current plot at my players. Really fun to see them trying to understand which NPC is interesting for the adventure, and which one is only living there :)

Remove ads